• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DUI Blitz nets 21 arrests - Out of 200 stops

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4159892

21 arrested in weekend DUI blitz September 2nd, 2008 @ 10:52am (KSL News) A DUI blitz in Park City over the weekend netted 21 arrests.
The Utah Highway Patrol worked with Park City police to step up patrols and pulled over more than 200 vehicles during the three-day operation.
Of those pulled over, 14 were arrested on suspicion on DUI, six were arrested on misdemeanor drug related charges and one was taken into custody on felony drug charges.
I wonder if this is a normal stop to arrest ratio... How can they justify stopping 200 people for possible DUI, and only arrest 21? Seems a bit over the top to me. :quirky

Thundar

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:

21 arrested in weekend DUI blitz September 2nd, 2008 @ 10:52am (KSL News) A DUI blitz in Park City over the weekend netted 21 arrests.
The Utah Highway Patrol worked with Park City police to step up patrols and pulled over more than 200 vehicles during the three-day operation.
Of those pulled over, 14 were arrested on suspicion on DUI, six were arrested on misdemeanor drug related charges and one was taken into custody on felony drug charges.
I wonder if this is a normal stop to arrest ratio... How can they justify stopping 200 people for possible DUI, and only arrest 21? Seems a bit over the top to me. :quirky
They look for an excuse, 1-2 over the speed limit, tail light out, improper lane change, etc. Then while you are detained for that you are evaluated for sobriety and your car is searched. Evil, just pure evil

stanicus

imported post

Thundar wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:

They look for an excuse, 1-2 over the speed limit, tail light out, improper lane change, etc. Then while you are detained for that you are evaluated for sobriety and your car is searched. Evil, just pure evil
I know they are ticky tack reasons to pull people over, but how is it "evil" to use whatever means nessessaryto attempt to clear the road of drunk drivers?

imported post

stanicus wrote:
Thundar wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:

I know they are ticky tack reasons to pull people over, but how is it "evil" to use whatever means nessessaryto attempt to clear the road of drunk drivers?
little thing some people know about called the bill of rights

MetalChris

imported post

stanicus wrote:
Thundar wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:

I know they are ticky tack reasons to pull people over, but how is it "evil" to use whatever means nessessaryto attempt to clear the streets of illegal weapons?
Good argument for gun control you've got there. :quirky

stanicus

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
stanicus wrote:
Thundar wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:

I know they are ticky tack reasons to pull people over, but how is it "evil" to use whatever means nessessaryto attempt to clear the streets of illegal weapons?
So, you took my own words and twisted them....added what you wanted....and changed the topic. Do you work for the media? Maybe the John McPain campain? I thought it was funny that this didn't have anything to do with guns, yet was posted on a pro-gun board. WTG.....nice bait and switch.:banghead:

Evil Ernie

imported post

Guns and booze are not even close to being compared. I can drive with 3000 rounds of ammo and 72 firearms and it's not going to affect my driving ability. I drive with a belly full of beer and I become a danger to anyone in my path.
You don't have the right to drive, it's a privilege. Drinking and driving is just plain stupid. Go ahead, flame me, but it's true.
I don't think vehicle searches are necessary unless the driver can't see because of the pot/crack/meth smoke fogging the entire car.
We as gun owner over use the "people in cars kill more innocent folks every week than guns do in a year" argument, and we know it's true. So now we bitch and moan because the local LE sets up a DUI checkpoint to catch drunk drivers? You can't have it both ways folks. Plain and simple: take responsibility for your actions. Call a cab, get a DD, or don't drink! No one is forcing you except YOU!
I've seen way too many friends in my younger days, and friends of my sons get killed for being stupid and irresponsible. Darwin awards to everyone of 'em but they were still people with friends and families as were their victims.

So there, I've doused myself in Forum Fuel, who's gonna light the first match?

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
Guns and booze are not even close to being compared. I can drive with 3000 rounds of ammo and 72 firearms and it's not going to affect my driving ability. I drive with a belly full of beer and I become a danger to anyone in my path.
You don't have the right to drive, it's a privilege. Drinking and driving is just plain stupid. Go ahead, flame me, but it's true.
I don't think vehicle searches are necessary unless the driver can't see because of the pot/crack/meth smoke fogging the entire car.
We as gun owner over use the "people in cars kill more innocent folks every week than guns do in a year" argument, and we know it's true. So now we bitch and moan because the local LE sets up a DUI checkpoint to catch drunk drivers? You can't have it both ways folks. Plain and simple: take responsibility for your actions. Call a cab, get a DD, or don't drink! No one is forcing you except YOU!
I've seen way too many friends in my younger days, and friends of my sons get killed for being stupid and irresponsible. Darwin awards to everyone of 'em but they were still people with friends and families as were their victims.

:uhoh:

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:

I agree that people who are driving drunk ought to be punished.

The instance I posted wasn't a checkpoint

I question the methods used to find the few who drunk drive.

I probably shouldn't have posted this on a gun forum, but I thought it related to liberty.

I disagree that driving should be a privilege. (not with you Evil Ernie, with society for making it a privilege) I believe it is even covered in the Bill of Rights - 9th Amendment

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

madcapmag

imported post

I personally believe they should stop BAD drivers, whether or not they are over the legal limit. After all, doesn't 2 beers put some people over? I know people who can walk tightropes after a sixpack and some who go to sleep after one bottle.

MetalChris

imported post

stanicus wrote:
MetalChris wrote:
stanicus wrote:
Thundar wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:

So, you took my own words and twisted them....added what you wanted....and changed the topic. Do you work for the media? Maybe the John McPain campain? I thought it was funny that this didn't have anything to do with guns, yet was posted on a pro-gun board. WTG.....nice bait and switch.:banghead:
Sure, whatever.

So it's cool to violate the Constitution in order to catch drunk drivers, but not to keep so-called "illegal guns" off the streets? Ok then...
ETA: I didn't "twist" any of your words, but simply "changed" the last two.

Aran

Banned
imported post

stanicus wrote:
Thundar wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:

Woooooooooooooooow.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

madcapmag wrote:
I personally believe they should stop BAD drivers, whether or not they are over the legal limit. After all, doesn't 2 beers put some people over? I know people who can walk tightropes after a sixpack and some who go to sleep after one bottle.

Not BAC. Maybe inebriated but not over some practical limit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Alcohol_Content

Gunslinger

imported post

stanicus wrote:
MetalChris wrote:
stanicus wrote:
Thundar wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:

McPain? Maybe you prefer that pos Obooba? Then you'll find out about bait and switch when it comes to guns.

Gunslinger

imported post

madcapmag wrote:
And just how are they going to do that? Roadblocks every night? Random pull overs to check for "papers"? First steps; what are the next ones going to be?

Gunslinger

imported post

Quote Chris: "ETA: I didn't "twist" any of your words, but simply "changed" the last two."

And the point being how easy it would be to do just that. This guy doesn't like 'McPain'; I'm sure he'll be much happier with the dope from the Daley Machine. Maybe he should look for the "Brady" forum. I'm sure they like roadblocks. Check for booze then check for guns.

madcapmag

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
madcapmag wrote:
And just how are they going to do that? Roadblocks every night? Random pull overs to check for "papers"? First steps; what are the next ones going to be?
Wait... what? There are plenty of bad drivers that can be caught without setting up roadblocks. Papers? HUH? Where'd you get this totally skewed view of what I said? There are people who weave in and out of traffic. They cause a danger, whether or not they are drunk. There are people who cut others off or merge without signaling, causing danger. There are people who go 40 over the speed limit in a contruction zone. There are people who weave all over the road causing significant danger. These are the people I'm talking about. How, pray tell, would roadblocks stop these guys? They may not be drunk, but they are a danger. If they are drunk, nail them. If someone is driving carefully and makes it home without causing a danger to anyone, why care?

stanicus

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
Quote Chris: "ETA: I didn't "twist" any of your words, but simply "changed" the last two."

And the point being how easy it would be to do just that. This guy doesn't like 'McPain'; I'm sure he'll be much happier with the dope from the Daley Machine. Maybe he should look for the "Brady" forum. I'm sure they like roadblocks. Check for booze then check for guns.
HAHAHAHAHHAHA......like shooting fish in a barrel! Offer any other point and you will get trashed for it. I always bring my angry stick for poking when I visit. This one was too easy.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jaredbelch wrote:

I've been driving for nearly 40 years now. I've lived in Ky, Fl, and now Tenn. During this whole time period I've always heard it announced on TV and radio that LE was going to be setting up checkstops here and thereon the holiday weekends. They don't say where they'll be, just that they will be out there. The idea is to discourage driving and drinking.

I believe the article you quoted said that 200 vehicles were stopped, not 200 people . That means that of the 200 vehicles stopped, 14 were being driven by drivers under the influence. My guess is that the drug arrest were passengersfrom some of the same 14 vehicles.

It didn't mention anything about arrests for firearm violations.

Flyer22

imported post

Alcohol and illegal drugs carry an inherent ability to change a person's behaviour and degrade a person's decision-making process and physical capability. Illegal weapons have no such ability.