Thread: Texas OC Bill Sponsors

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Does anyone know if we have bill sponsors (or even a draft OC bill) for the upcoming Texas legislative session? I would like to have my representative support/co-author/etc. but not sure who to have him contact. I asked over at txcdl.org but got no response. Thanks.

Post imported post

Mike mentioned somewhere that they were working on a bill. Don't know if he's got sponsors. I have an appointment to see Gene Hegar, my state senator, on the 10th and plan on asking him tosponsor it in the senate. I am also going to meet with Tim Kleinschmidt (running for state rep in my district) to sponsor if he gets elected. I am going to see him soon as well, not sure exactly when. We spent about 45 minutes on the phonetalking about open carry and a lot of it was talking about guns in general. He is extremely gun friendly. Won't know about Sen. Hegar until I meet with him. Wish me luck and pray a lot. I am.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Conagher wrote:
    Does anyone know if we have bill sponsors (or even a draft OC bill) for the upcoming Texas legislative session? I would like to have my representative support/co-author/etc. but not sure who to have him contact. I asked over at txcdl.org but got no response. Thanks.
    I've put Mike and John in touch with a rep who likes the idea but doesn't want to go public with his name on it until he's read what we have.

Like most reps the one we've contacted is busy and last I had heard we haven't had solid contact back yet. I just put in a new call to his office and spoke with his district coordinator to move things forward.

I would urge you to make contact with your representative or senator and gauge how they feel about the issue. The more co-sponsors the initial bill has the better.

--Aaron

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

akpoff wrote:
    Conagher wrote:
    I've put Mike and John in touch with a rep who likes the idea but doesn't want to go public with his name on it until he's read what we have.

Like most reps the one we've contacted is busy and last I had heard we haven't had solid contact back yet. I just put in a new call to his office and spoke with his district coordinator to move things forward.

I would urge you to make contact with your representative or senator and gauge how they feel about the issue. The more co-sponsors the initial bill has the better.

--Aaron
    I think my rep would support it; maybe even co-sponsor. But like yours, he would want to read it first. If we had a draft I would be happy to get it to my rep for review. Thanks.

Post imported post

If I could acquire a copy, I could take it to my meeting with Glenn Hegar (State Senator) on the 10th,and Tim Kleinschmidt ( the guy running for State Rep).
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

rodbender wrote:
    If I could acquire a copy, I could take it to my meeting with Glenn Hegar (State Senator) on the 10th,and Tim Kleinschmidt ( the guy running for State Rep).
    It's on my short list to post, honest

Post imported post

Any chance we could get a prewritten letter that I can send to Senator Corryn and Hutchinson?

Post imported post

forever_frost wrote:
    Any chance we could get a prewritten letter that I can send to Senator Corryn and Hutchinson?
    huh?

Folks - the only people we need to be talkin' too come to Austin, not DC.

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar

Post imported post

I sent an email to Tx Rep Dan Gattis (R-20), a few months ago. He responded with an actual letter that was written specifically to pledge his support for this law. Perhaps he could be lobbied todraft and introduce the bill.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar

Post imported post

I also just sent an email to State Sen Steve Ogden, (R) district 5.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Post imported post

I hope to have a 2d draft, prob. final, of the OC rights restoration bill today or early this week - have to incorporate you all's comments on the first draft.

then you can point your legislators to it.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

I would love to send something to my local representative, as a matter of fact he's here locally, i can just drive over there, what should i do i mean take with me that is, some sort of draft or paperwork ,,,, yall help me out and i'll get the ball rolling here in my hometown as well.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Again does anyone have any fliers made up or info to pass out locally or to our reps. if so send me an email with it or post it to print please.

Post imported post

nking wrote:
    Again does anyone have any fliers made up or info to pass out locally or to our reps. if so send me an email with it or post it to print please.
    I am a bit behind on my schedule to prodce the final draft bill, my apologies. Hoep to catch up this week with email alert item.

Post imported post

Conagher wrote:
    Does anyone know if we have bill sponsors (or even a draft OC bill) for the upcoming Texas legislative session?
    The first draft is posted in the Texas forum already - take a look.

Post imported post

I'm meeting with my rep tomorrow,and will post in reply with his thoughts on OC and the upcoming Legislative session.
    JL

Post imported post

Aftert meeting with my State Rep yesterday,he's going to meet with TSRA and discuss this in detail with them. He's open to supporting OC,and does fell that it's a deterrent to crime,but is unsure how many of the "suburban" Reps will accept a proposed bill that allows it.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

As everyone on should be doing I e-mailed and sent letters to my represenatives. This is the only one that I have recieved a response on so I thought that I would share.

Thank you for your email and suggestions, there is some discussion of this issue in Austin and we will review it. Sorry for the delay we have been busy with a very serious TDCJ prison issue. Thanks.

Larance E.Coleman

Policy Director

Senator John WHITMIRE, Chair

Senate Criminal Justice Committee

512/463-0345 phone

512/475-2015 fax

I sent a response back asking him to please take an active part in making this a bill and not just reviewing it. It is good to know that there is discussion going on.

Post imported post

This is my message to my state rep (TSRA and NRA "A+" Democrat). I sent a modified version (because we didn't speak personally) to my state senator, an "A" rated Republican.

(Rep),

I enjoyed speaking with you about changes for 2009 at the (event) this past summer. Now that the new session is just around the corner, I wanted to touch base again on the issues that matter to me.

In the 2009 Legislative Session, there will be many bills proposed to change Texas firearms laws, both good and bad. I would like to share my thoughts on a couple of subjects, even though the potential proposed bills aren't yet available for review.

First: campus carry. There is no good reason why licensed, law-abiding adults should be disarmed just because they pass through a doorway. Current Texas law allows legal, licensed, concealed carry on school grounds, but not in school buildings.

"School" is not defined in the statutes, and could theoretically include a beauty school, dance school, Sunday school, pre-K daycare, or karate school. This has to be clarified in the statutes. Or even better, just remove all statutory prohibitions on school carry by legal, licensed adults.

Most, perhaps all, public colleges and universities forbid students from possessing any firearms at all while on campus. Since they are political subdivisions and taxing authorities of the State of Texas, no public post-secondary institution should be able to violate our strong preemption laws and restrict carry on campus by students or employees.

(Private schools at all levels, as private property owners, should continue to be able to restrict guns however they see fit, but no private property should ever be statutorily off-limits except through trespass laws.)

I urge you to support expanding legal concealed carry to anywhere the licensee may legally be. Governor Perry, after the Virginia Tech murders, said that he supports the same thing.

Second: open carry. Texas is one of only six states that outlaw open carry of handguns. With the added pain of wearing a jacket or cover garment in Texas summers, this is needlessly burdensome on Texans who lawfully carry handguns. There is no good reason why an adult who can legally carry a handgun, should not be able to do so openly.

Long-standing statutes about "deadly conduct" adequately cover brandishing or threatening. A handgun that is holstered and openly worn on a citizen's hip is no more threatening than it would be if covered by a shirt or jacket. Nor, for that matter, than it would be if it was on the hip of a peace officer in plain clothes.

So, my general request for 2009 is expanded gun freedom. Specifically, fewer places off limits by statute (all public schools and universities, and all private property), and fewer restrictions on mode of carry.

If you would like to discuss these issues, please don't hesitate to contact me by mail, or by phone at (number).

Thanks for your time,

Kevin Craig

Post imported post

Reply from my state senator:

Mr. Craig,
    Thanks for your email. I agree with you and have always and will
    continue to fully support expanding right to carry.

Thanks again,
    (senator)

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

Just emailed Todd Smith who I've worked with for a few months now and sent him our proposed bill. I'll post any response.

Post imported post

Do your reps read your correspondences?
    Mine send form letters to match up with one or two words,
    but have nothing to do with the content.

Asked about the stupid idea of reinstitution of 55mph laws by VA rep,
    and get back reply that he supports off shore drilling.
    I'm shure the first OC letter will be responded by, he supports
    hunters, and the NRA likes him. Nothing to do with question though.

It's no wonder they can't write laws that work, they can't read either.

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

I've actually sat in his office and talked with him about open carry. I've emailed back and forth with him on this and other issues. To date, he has never sent me a form letter and has either asked me to come in and talk or I get a decent reply email.

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

Got a response today from Mr. Smiths Chief of staff.

Dear Mr. Suddeth,

Rep. Smith is seriously considering your suggestion that he carry "open carry" legislation. I have received a copy of your initial email and the draft legislation you sent with it. My staff and I are researching the issue and will get back to you with any questions we have.

Sincerely,

Judy Coppolo

Chief of Staff

State Representative Todd Smith

Capitol Office