• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LA County BBQ

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am hoping to be more successful in organizing something. I would like to get an SoCal OC event set for LA area. The below are only suggestions, and I would appreciate discussion and cooperation so that we can get this started.
  • Date: TBD. Following dates suggested
    • Thgursday, Oct., 30th 2008
    • Saturday Sept., 20th 2008
  • Time: 6 PM
Rosemead Park is located right off the 60 and is across the street from a shotgun range. No schools for miles around the park. I think it is ideal for a gathering and is a large park. Most all needs are supplied except the food and people. Unless someone has a better location I will work on this. THe dates are strick because I am going to Hong Kong from late Sept. to mid-late Oct.

Now, although you it has been mentioned that private UOC should be limited, I feel that group gatherings is the name of the game. I wish to get us numbers where charges are not likely. I also hope to invite some of the areas PD's, and other politicians looking for re-election...If we can get it worked out then great! If not, then UOC in LA Area might be dead.:eek:

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

To get better results, try this:

Make a thread for the sole purpose of determining a date. Make it a poll where people can vote and the date that wins would get the best turnout.

Next, make a new thread that invites people to RSVP for the meetup on the selected date. Set a time (you don't need to be exact, but "lunch" or "dinner" gives people an idea within a couple hours. Also, give a general location... or an exact one if you're inviting LE. My experience has been that you'll get about as many people RSVP as voted for the date.

Follow up each RSVP with any details they may need. Also follow up with a reminder PM/e-mail to each person who RSVP'd.

Note that the RSVP part is the most important. I've found that about 95% of people who RSVP will show up. If you simply post an open invitation you may get zero turnout.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Forget it. . . I have better things to do than hold grown adults hands. If they want to meet they will say something or they won't. Maybe I am the loner in LA...No real men or women left.

TheCiscoKid

imported post

i'm in for sept 20. but, unfortunately, i still don't have a sidearm...nor do i feel i'm well-versed enough to LOC. but i'd love to at least be part of the event if we get enough people to commit.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Apparently the park is an LA County park, and there is an ordinance on the books prohibiting any type of firearm in any area other than those designated by the director.

I have sent an e-mail to the director and will follow up with a call and visit next week to see. If not that park, then there are other places nearby that can accommodate the number we are likely looking at.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So, I have gotten no response from the park...so we should seek an alternative location. I will be looking for something in the area surrounding.

cato2

imported post

Theseus wrote:
So, I have gotten no response from the park...

LOL! I bet you're generating a ton of internal emails! PRA that!

How about an open carry litter pick-up followed by an early dinner?

or better yet a gang graffiti paint out!

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yeah, I wish I could have gotten this done. . . I have still for the most part not gotten as much support as others have for the SD meet.

I will keep trying and when I get back from vaccation visit the park people to see if I can't get SOMETHING done.

VigilanceOfFreedom

imported post

I'm fully confident we can do better next time. Let's keep in contact and we'll buy a bunch of supplies and commit completely to a day (hopefully Sunday or Saturday evening!) and see who shows up. When we decide, I'll do some rallying at school to get some curious students to go, regardless if they own a gun. We'll be changing many minds about open carry and firearms.