• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Breaking News 9/2/08 5:00pm channel 36

Godscreation

imported post

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-090208 krg-shooting.396eeedc.html

[size="+2"]Homeowner catches burglar, shoots him[/size] [size="-1"]06:28 PM EDT on Tuesday, September 2, 2008[/size] [size="-1"]By NewsChannel 36 Staff
E-mail Us: NEWS@WCNC.com
[/size]
M_IMAGE.11beb4b9125.93.88.fa.d0.3983fe59.jpg
NewsChannel 36
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A suspected burglar was shot and killed Tuesday afternoon when a man found him inside his home.
The shooting happened around 3:30 p.m. at a home in the 2000 block of Toddville Road in northwest Charlotte.
Neighbors tell NewsChannel 36 that a man came home to find a car he didn't recognize in the driveway and his door kicked in.
He got a gun out of his own car and then shot the person inside the home, who may have been stealing items from inside.
Medic says the shooting victim was taken via emergency traffic to Carolinas Medical Center. Police say the victim died there.
Detectives are questioning the homeowner at police headquarters.

Interesting, it doesn't say thief, home invader, it says shooting victim. slanted journalism?

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Unjustified manslaughter. The shooter was in no iminent threat, and should have called the police (based on the account given in the report). Unless family members were in there, he had no reason to go in and shoot a person. In this case, calling the police would have been a better idea than going into a gunfight (and thoseof you who know how I think know that this is not the way I usually lean). There is not enough information in the story to even begin to pass judgement, so I shall reserve further commentary.

ghoststan

imported post

i agree with 40 cal unless he got in the home and the guy pull a gun or knife trying to atack the owner he should of just call the cops and wait outside untill they got there but we need more info to the story he better get a good laywer

Godscreation

imported post

Let's remember this story is only 8 hours old (9/2/08 10:00pm) and when I posted, the story was only 4 hours old. Could be more to it. If I remember my classes correctly, you may only shoot if your life is in danger. I can see going in to investigate. We assume he knew someone was inside. The car and the door kicked in was reasonable suspicion to think someone was. In any event, I'd probably lock 'n load, call 911 and back out of the driveway (I live in a culdesac [sp]) and wait for the professionals. If the guy came out I'd try to stop him (not necessarily using my gun, but through verbal and maybe physical, if he pulled a weapon, I'd pull mine). Anyway, many of these stories don't talk about the shooter. I'm sure he is traumatized by this.

Arm chair quarterbacking is fun!

RayBurton72

imported post

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-090208-krg-shooting.396eeedc.html

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE:

Homeowner catches suspected burglar, shoots him
11:07 PM EDT on Tuesday, September 2, 2008
By NewsChannel 36 Staff
E-mail Us: NEWS@WCNC.com

NewsChannel 36
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A Charlotte man comes to find his house allegedly being robbed and fights back, killing the burglar.

It happened at a home on Toddville Road in west Charlotte around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, and neighbors say he did the right thing.

"He did what he should have done. I mean that’s no business breaking into his house," Clay Robinson told us. He’s staying across the street from the Toddville Road home where the shooting happened and says he heard two gunshots.

Investigators say the man who lives there came home to find red flags all over the place: A strange car in the driveway and the door that leads from the carport to the house kicked in.

Police say the homeowner went inside, found a suspected burglar and told the man they identify as Timothy Quinn to get down. But instead, they say Quinn charged at him and the homeowner shot him, killing the 31-year-old.

The woman who has lived next door for more than 30 years, Shirley Snow, said, "I think he had a right to defend himself and his home if it happened like I thought -- the guy was coming toward him. I think he had a every right to protect himself."

While it might not have been smart to enter the house, it looks like it will likely end up being ruled a clean shoot.