Thread: Question on ky cc permit in other states

Post imported post

I know while carrying a kentucky cc permit in other states, we have to abide by the state laws, but how does this apply to other deadly weapons? For instance, we have ccdw (conceal carry of deadly weapons) but in ohio they only have chl (concealed handgun license), does this mean that I can't carry my knife, or other weapons concealed in ohio?

Post imported post

RIAShooter wrote:
    I know while carrying a kentucky cc permit in other states, we have to abide by the state laws, but how does this apply to other deadly weapons? For instance, we have ccdw (conceal carry of deadly weapons) but in ohio they only have chl (concealed handgun license), does this mean that I can't carry my knife, or other weapons concealed in ohio?
    You must abide by the law of the state you are in. You can carry a switchblade knife in Kentucky with a cdwl, but, it is illegal in Indiana and Ohio to carry the same knife even though you have a Kentucky cdwl. Ohio does not permit switchblades as well as Indiana.
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

Post imported post

hotrod wrote:
    RIAShooter wrote:
    You must abide by the law of the state you are in. You can carry a switchblade knife in Kentucky with a cdwl, but, it is illegal in Indiana and Ohio to carry the same knife even though you have a Kentucky cdwl. Ohio does not permit switchblades as well as Indiana.
    2923.20 of the Ohio Revised code:
    (3) Manufacture, possess for sale, sell, or furnish to any person other than a law enforcement agency for authorized use in police work, any brass knuckles, cestus, billy, blackjack, sandbag, switchblade knife, springblade knife, gravity knife, or similar weapon;
    You can have one, you just can't make one, sellone or let anyone but a cop borrow one.

Post imported post

You also have to be careful even in other states even with a CCW (conceal carry weapons). MO has a CCW which exempts CC permit holders from the concealed weapons statute, HOWEVER, the statute prohibiting spring opened and gravity opened knives (eg switchblades and butterfly knives) are in a different statute section and are not allowed even with a CCW whereas concealing a machete or battle axe or even a long gun/shot gun is perfectly legal.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I'm not trying to go too far off topic. This does show the silliness of the weapons laws though.

Post imported post

We are lucky here in KY that wehave a ccdw, other states have the chl and the like. But N00b is right, this does show the silliness of the laws. They do a background check and they give you a license or permit to carry a loaded firearm but you cant carry a switch blade. So basically they aren't worried about you going on a shooting spree but don't give you a knife because you might be inclined to turn into jack the ripper.

Post imported post

So cc'ing a knife is legal in ohio though?

Post imported post

I'm not completely clear on ORC but I thought if its not a "pocket knife" 3in. or below, Your on the wrong side of the law. I'll see if I can find the ORC regarding that.