• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

6 dead, 2 injured. One deputy killed

Triple Tap

imported post

My heart goes out to all those families and friends involved.

A shooting spree in Skagit County has left six people dead and two injured by a man authorities describe as a well-known criminal with mental problems.
State Patrol Trooper Keith Leary said a man was arrested after turning himself in at the Skagit County Sheriff's Office. The suspect is known to authorities "as someone with a mental illness," Leary said, and was booked into the Skagit County Jail.
The Department of Corrections identified the man as 28-year-old Isaac Zamora of Alger. He is on Department of Corrections supervision and is considered a high-risk offender with convictions for theft and drug possession. He's a nonviolent offender who is being supervised at a high level because of his long-standing mental health issues. Zamora last reported to his probation officer in Mount Vernon on Aug. 21.

Full Story
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008153942_webshooting02m.html

Mad Pick

imported post

Yes, terrible story.

.45ballers wrote:
Ya even more tragic was a comment I read on newsvine. The poster stated that they would rather give up 2 amendment rights then hear about things like this.

Well, actually I'd gladly give up 2A rights if we could get rid of stories like this . . . unfortunately, the two don't go hand in hand. We can give up the rights, but the stories would continue for the most part.

Triple Tap

imported post

I agree that reporters comment is a stupid way of thinking. Striping away 2A rights wont fix this on going issue.

This all goes to show every that it can happen, anywhere, anytime, to anyone. The what ifs in this case are all over the place. What if we could all be responsable gun owners and a gun never get into the hands of a mentally ill person. What if one, or both of the construction workers where carrying? Would this have been over before more died?

Who knows.

I had a friend killed in something like this in Las Vegas, if he only could have carried at work, at night stocking shelves.

VoiceinShelton

imported post

Mad Pick wrote:
Yes, terrible story.

.45ballers wrote:
Ya even more tragic was a comment I read on newsvine. The poster stated that they would rather give up 2 amendment rights then hear about things like this.

Well, actually I'd gladly give up 2A rights if we could get rid of stories like this . . . unfortunately, the two don't go hand in hand. We can give up the rights, but the stories would continue for the most part.
I would never give up rights to gain a little security. A quote from Benjamin Franklin sums it up, "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
This simply points to the pathetic liberal government and the lack of effort they put towards monitoring these guys. This guy should have been in a facility; but much like sex offenders and drug dealers the liberal government here just throws them back out onto the street.

sharp

imported post

There appears to be more to the story than the news has found. Though reported that two were wounded , both in hte hand/arm a third person was transported to Bellingham with five gunshot wounds. These were not life threatening unbelievably. There is also much more that I can't go into though. Should be an interesting full story.

scarlett1125

imported post

:question:So let's say he stole the gun from a law-abiding citizen who had it in his or her home for personal protection and may have been trying to help the guy out in some way? Should that law-abiding citizen then be held responsible for allowing the gun to be taken? I ask the question because it will come up. This is one of the arguments for gun-control measures (e.g., mandatory trigger locks, mandatory licensing, etc.).

Triple Tap

imported post

scarlett1125 wrote:
:question:So let's say he stole the gun from a law-abiding citizen who had it in his or her home for personal protection and may have been trying to help the guy out in some way? Should that law-abiding citizen then be held responsible for allowing the gun to be taken? I ask the question because it will come up. This is one of the arguments for gun-control measures (e.g., mandatory trigger locks, mandatory licensing, etc.).
Law-abiding citizen reports their gun stolen, even if LOE's don't come take the report or follow-up. So, why would a law abiding citizen be liable for anothers action? this is the problem I see over and over... Sheeple and thier kidds aren't taking responsibilitys for THEIR own actions. Not the gun owners fault, the person who stolen it committed one crime, then again by giving it to a known felon, the the Felon for possesion, then the murders.

scarlett1125

imported post

OK, but for the sake of argument, maybe it's one of those people who doesn't take his or her gun out and check it or do anything with it on a regular basis. We're not talking about the average person on this forum. There are some people who keep a gun in their nightstand and don't take it out more than once a month. If that person didn't realize that the gun was missing before the crime took place, could the legal system hold the owner liable for the actions of the person who took the gun? Does it matter if that person was living in the home or not?