• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC IN ELBERTON GA.

M&P.40

imported post

ILIVE IN(SC) AND HAVE A SOUTH CAROLINA CWP AND A PISTOL AND REVOLVER LICENSE FROM NEW HAMSHIRE, I TRAVEL TO ELBERT COUNTY ALOT,HAVE A BROTHER THAT LIVES THERE.JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS OC'ED THERE IF SO HOW WAS IT,ANY PROBLEMS WITH POPO..REALLY WOULD LIKE TO KNOW. THANKS

officerjdc

imported post

Based on my own experiences with OC and what Iread on this board about the experiences of othersit doesn't seem to be a big deal to OC in Georgia right now. I've gotten a few wide-eyed stares and even fewer questions about my pistol but no really bad negative reactions and no questions from law enforcement when they see me OCing.

You should be aware that Georgia and South Carolina do not have reciprocity so your SC license is not valid here.We do recognize licenses fromNew Hampshire, so show that one to police if you are questioned.Georgia law makes no distinction between open and concealed carry for license holders, soyou should be fine OCing here on your New Hampshire license.

Georgia does not currently issue nonresident licenses, but we are fighting that battle with the state now.

M&P.40

imported post

THANKS,I KNOW MY SC PERMIT IS NOGOOD IN GA THATS WHY I GOT THE NON-RESIDENT NH PERMIT JUST FOR GEORGIA. AND I DO WISH WE HAD RECIPROCITY.AND IF THEY EVER DO ISSUE NON-RESIDENT IN GA. I WILL DEFINETLYAPPLY..

THANKS AGAN

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

officerjdc wrote:
Based on my own experiences with OC and what Iread on this board about the experiences of othersit doesn't seem to be a big deal to OC in Georgia right now. I've gotten a few wide-eyed stares and even fewer questions about my pistol but no really bad negative reactions and no questions from law enforcement when they see me OCing.

You should be aware that Georgia and South Carolina do not have reciprocity so your SC license is not valid here.We do recognize licenses fromNew Hampshire, so show that one to police if you are questioned.Georgia law makes no distinction between open and concealed carry for license holders, soyou should be fine OCing here on your New Hampshire license.

Georgia does not currently issue nonresident licenses, but we are fighting that battle with the state now.
Does GA have reciprocity with VA?

M&P.40

imported post

http://www.handgunlaw.us/maps/georgia_map.gif

ACCORDING TO THIS MAPVIRGINIA DOES NOTHAVE RECIPROCITY WITH GA.I LIVE IN SC AND THEY DON'T HONOR OURS EITHER .BUTI HAVE A NON-RESIDENT NEW HAMSHIRE PISTOL AND REVOLVER PERMITTHEY DO HONOR THAT..YOU MAY WANT TO TRY THAT...

you can go to this web site to get an application.don't hold me to this but we were able to do it..so check to make sure it will work for you before sending off for it the cost is $20.00 and takes about 4 to 5 weeks to get back..

http://www.scfirearms.org/

officerjdc

imported post

joeamt wrote:
officerjdc wrote:

No. It's my understanding that Virginia law requires other states to have a database for LEOs to be able to run pistol licenses the same way they run driver'slicensesbefore Virginia can enter into a reciprocity agreement with that state. Georgia has no such database and no state level records of any kindof GFLs or holders, and that's why Virginia can't enter into a reciprocity agreement with us.

I believe Georgia's county probate courts (the probate judges being the issuing authority in Georgia)keep GFL records at the county level.

M

mdgary

imported post

officerjdc wrote:
joeamt wrote:
officerjdc wrote:

No. It's my understanding that Virginia law requires other states to have a database for LEOs to be able to run pistol licenses the same way they run driver'slicensesbefore Virginia can enter into a reciprocity agreement with that state. Georgia has no such database and no state level records of any kindof GFLs or holders, and that's why Virginia can't enter into a reciprocity agreement with us.

I believe Georgia's county probate courts (the probate judges being the issuing authority in Georgia)keep GFL records at the county level.
What is the reason SC does not have reciprocity with georgia?

officerjdc

imported post

mdgary wrote:
officerjdc wrote:
joeamt wrote:

I think it's something similar to our situation with Virginia, where South Carolina doesn't consider the issue process for the GFL to be as stringent as theirs in some way. I can't remember at the moment exactly what it is about the GFL that won't allow us a reciprocity agreement with South Carolina.

I wish we did have reciprocity agreements with Virginia and South Carolina and a lot more states. I'd like to see the GFL be as widely honored as possible. Ideally, I'd like every state to be shall issue and have state level reciprocity agreements with all the other states. That would be a ball of yarn that would be hell for the gun haters to try to unravel.

moga

imported post

mdgary wrote:

I believe it's because unlike SC, GA doesn't require its firearm license applicants to undergo training before applying for a GFL.

M

mdgary

imported post

You're right! But why does'nt Georgia justrecognize SC

moga

imported post

I think it has to be reciprocated in order for GA to recognize SC.

I thought I heard that there were positive developments in the effort to get the two states to recognize each others' licenses. Let me see what I can dig up and I'll check back in.

moga

imported post

Never mind. Unfortunately, I was recalling a memory fragment of wishful thinking from the time before the NRA began their involvement with SC H.3212.

M

mdgary

imported post

Hopefully H.3212 will pass eventually,maybe next year .

officerjdc

imported post

moga wrote:
I think it has to be reciprocated in order for GA to recognize SC.

I thought I heard that there were positive developments in the effort to get the two states to recognize each others' licenses. Let me see what I can dig up and I'll check back in.

Georgia law only recognizes licenses from states that recognize ours. In some cases (Michigan and Indiana for example) the other state automatically recognizes any license issued anywhere in the US, and Georgia will recognize those states' licenses without a reciprocity agreement. In other cases (most of the states we have reciprocity with) we have a reciprocity agreement signed by our attorney general and the attorney general from the other state.

I think the training requirement is the correct answer as to why South Carolina won't enter into a reciprocity agreement with Georgia.