• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long Guns and open carry/vehicles

ColtPistols

imported post

I will be moving west to Idaho from the east coast in hopefully less than two months. I am bringing everything I need including weapons in my pickup. I haven't been able to find open carry and vehicle information on long guns. I don't normally carry a long gun but feel much more confident if I can at the least get back to it quickly if it's ready to use. I'll probably be carrying my S&W most of the way there, but I'de like to either have my little 870 or my CETME loaded in my cab. I know this might seem a little overkill, but I'll probably be driving through a lot of areas I don't want to be in since I have so much ground to cover on the way there. Does anyone know if long guns always have to be cased in a vehicle in Idaho? Also, any of the states in between? I have a NH non res permit, but that's it. The only one I'm pretty sure of is PA that would only allow under 26" weapons to be concealed and hence vehicle carry of a long gun would probably be illegalto carry loaded since they rule that in a vehicle it is not visible, if I'm not mistaken. I don't know Idaho or anywhere in between and haven't been able to find it. Please help if you know or can quote statutes.

idahomilitia

imported post

Greetings and welcome to Idaho,

Gun laws in Idaho are very relaxed, but I would recommend reading the entire law for yourself.

http://www3.state.id.us/cgi-bin/newidst?sctid=180330002.K

Concerning handguns you cannot carry them concealed without a cwl, but the magazine can be detached and right next to handgun and it can be stored concealed in that condition. I would also highlight:
(7) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, or
on property in which the person has any ownership or leasehold interest, a
person shall not carry a concealed weapon without a license to carry a
concealed weapon. For the purposes of this section, a concealed weapon means
any dirk, dirk knife, bowie knife, dagger, pistol, revolver, or any other
deadly or dangerous weapon. The provisions of this section shall not apply to
any lawfully possessed shotgun or rifle.
A rifle or shotgun can be carried concealed and loaded, a handgun can be concealed andone step away from being loaded, and both can be carried openly all without a cwl...almost makes getting one seem unnecessary.

(9) While in any motor vehicle, inside the limits or confines of any
city, a person shall not carry a concealed weapon on or about his person
without a license to carry a concealed weapon. This shall not apply to any
firearm located in plain view whether it is loaded or unloaded. A firearm may
be concealed legally in a motor vehicle so long as the weapon is disassembled
or unloaded.

As you see, the handgun merely has to be unloaded if concealed, but the magazine can be right there with the gun outside of it. These laws are so liberal that it took me nearly 2 years after I moved here to get me a cwl...didn't see the point. I hope you consider joining the militia.

Hope this helps, friend.

CPT James Ambrose

Idaho Citizens' Constitutional Militia

Commanding Officer

www.idahomilitia1.com

Hubby_MC

imported post

I hope you consider joining the militia.

Hope this helps, friend.

CPT James Ambrose

Idaho Citizens' Constitutional Militia

Commanding Officer

http://www.idahomilitia1.com

Nice recruiting pitch! Not very subtle though! (dripping sarcasm here)

Hiredgun30

imported post

realistically, Militia

post 9/11/01..... i would say that starting a group like you propose
would be suspect to local,state, and federal agencies.

WHY not just join national guard or volunteer at sheriffs office.

I would move to arizona and join Sheriff Joe's posse.
you would be on the front line of illegal immigration enforcement.

ColtPistols

imported post

I have nothing against militia. I don't really know all that much about them either, but when I get there I might look into joining.

I haven't got a lot of money so altering my route to avoid an entirely anti-gun state like Ill-annoy isn't really feasible. I think I can unload and case my weapons and make it through legal. And I also have a non-res NH permit, so I can carry in alot of states I'll be passing through anyway.

I am moving primarily because I want to live in a more gun-friendly place. I like gunshows and no background checks or waiting periods for private sales, open carry, and the over all pro-gun mindedness of Idaho but will miss the ease and simplicity of ccw of some of our eastern states like PA and NH. I believe I have to wait for a long time, get fingerprinted, take a class, etc. My friends in PA went to the police station and walked out with the permit, no fingerprinting, about 15 minuted of time. Same in NH.

When I get to Idaho I plan on trying to join the Coeur d'alene police reserves, and maybe someday land a full time job there. I have spent enough time in NJ and several other states to know that I can't live my life cramped up and restricted from basic freedoms with firearms. I think Idaho affords me enough freedom and improvement that I will really enjoy it out there. I don't have absolute plans right now as to what I'll do, but I figure it can't be any worse than here, so I'll figure it out when I get there.

Hubby_MC

imported post

Hiredgun30 wrote:
realistically, Militia

WHY not just join national guard or volunteer at sheriffs office.

I would move to arizona and join Sheriff Joe's posse.
you would be on the front line of illegal immigration enforcement.
Now thats in idea I can get behind! Sheriff Joe's Posse!!

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I'm all for the unorganized militia. When crisis come, the citizens ban together to fight whatever threat opposing them, be it natural or human. Why the push to organize our own "standing army?" Our Declaration of Independence makes it clear that governments should not be overthrown for transient causes, and that the People as a whole will suffer until it becomes intolerable. While I support your ideals in principle, I think we have a LONG way to go before we need a militia against our own federal government. We still have the means to address our civil government, have things changed within the system, and see positive change through peaceful means. Why not join us by dumping your resources into keeping the laws good now, voting the right people into office, and preventing such a need for ever facing our own government in such a way. There are still people out there who are on the Peoples' side and are working hard in government to preserve your rights and the constitution.

If we ever became like, say China or Iran, I have no doubt people would be lining up for such a militia, including our military and police officers. Freedom is very much ingrained in our culture. I just think we have a long long long way to go before such a need arises and God willing, I will never see it in my lifetime.

idahomilitia

imported post

I think the problem is a lot of misconception about the Militia.

So what is the militia? According to Section 311 of US Code Title 10:

[align=left]"(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard. [/align]
[align=left](b) The classes of the militia are[/align]
[align=left](1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and [/align]
[align=left](2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia." [/align]
[align=left]As you see, the unorganized militia is bears just as much authority and legitimacy as the organized militia. Anyone who does a little research will quickly see that nearly every state has at least one militia, and Michigan has 9 combat brigades! They are all legal, most of them reject racism and antisemitism (including mine). And they are purely defensive in nature, with no ambitions to overthrow the government. [/align]
[align=left]More..[/align]

idahomilitia

imported post

It is highly appropriate than a forum discussion gun rights ought also discuss the Militia. We believe that an individual needs a gun for personal protection against criminal aggression. He trains and practices with his weapon and is proficient in its deployment. Those who are very serious might even take a course at Gunsite. By the same token, the people need such a defense against a more organized aggression. They need to organize, train, and prepare. Just as an individual carrying a gun doesn't hope he will need to use it, the militia trains hoping they will never be drawn into conflict. But in both cases, preparedness is priority.

Look how quickly the government used the excuse of an emergency to confiscate people's guns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp1bh3bnOoA&feature=related

The lesson here is that the criminals wearing badges were organized, the people they took guns from were not. They were individuals and therefore could offer no resistance. Many militias exist all across the U.S. and have not ever committed an act of aggression. Our government, however, nearly wiped out a family here in Idaho, killed over 80 people in Waco, and forcefully disarmed people in New Orleans. In each case, LEO's were breaking the law, so clearly having restrictive laws is not enough. It's unseemly that people would fear the militia instead of the government, but there's the government-media complex for ya.

More importantly, our founders who have seen government aggression firsthand, agree, having this to say:

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms
each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia.
Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an
American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or
state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
-- Tench Coxe, 1788.

Think about it.

Hubby_MC

imported post

Oh, I thought you had your own militia website. I didnt realize this was your Militia recruiting website.

My Mistake :cool:

BrianEMT

imported post

idahomilitia wrote:
The lesson here is that the criminals wearing badges were organized, the people they took guns from were not.
Now I take personal offense at that. We protect your ass as a citizen and allow you the safety and security to sit at home and libel us all you want. I would have expected at least some more maturity out of you, as it seems you lead nothing more than another anarchist organization.

Try showing some respect. :X

American Rattlesnake

imported post

BrianEMT wrote:
idahomilitia wrote:
The lesson here is that the criminals wearing badges were organized, the people they took guns from were not.
Now I take personal offense at that. We protect your ass as a citizen and allow you the safety and security to sit at home and libel us all you want. I would have expected at least some more maturity out of you, as it seems you lead nothing more than another anarchist organization.

Try showing some respect. :X
I believe his comment was in reference to Ruby Ridge. ETA: and Waco, TX and New Orleans, LA.

Hubby_MC

imported post

Ok, I think you are a nut militia, and I do take offense to most of your statement. I cannot however disagree on the New Orleans thing. They where wrong.

That doesn't mean all officers are "out to get you" and its unfortunate that you are so afraid of folks who have chosen to stand up and do the right thing when they can as law enforcement. I do not defend officers who make mistakes and as with any profession on the planet there will always be those who mess it up, but having been in law enforcement in various forms my entire adult life I have never met this fictional character who is out to get you. Obviously you live in another world in which you are the "commander" of your own army and seek to protect someone from the big bad government.

Good luck with that one!

I think I will stick with many of the reasonable folks on here who feel that through activism, political influence, and doing the right thing we can achieve our goals within the system.

By the way, I see you stopped posting the link to your website, here it is for anyone who wants to see for themselves.
http://www.idahomilitia1.com

American Rattlesnake

imported post

Hubby_MC wrote:
That doesn't mean all officers are "out to get you"...

I do not defend officers who make mistakes and as with any profession on the planet there will always be those who mess it up...

I think I will stick with many of the reasonable folks on here who feel that through activism, political influence, and doing the right thing we can achieve our goals within the system.
Wise and reasonable words, all.

imported post

Hiredgun30 wrote:
If he wasn't before, I am sure he is now.

ColtPistols

imported post

Wow. Asked about gun laws and somehow the conversation got into who likes militias and who doesn't, lol. Anyway, I think even though the conversation is a little off topic for this thread, I am not in anarchy, but I might still think about joining this militia. I am not paranoid about my government...yet. But I do realize a need to become involved in politics like through voting especially! While I CERTAINLY do not advocate any sort of violence towards our government, joining a militai might well serve as a form of making new friends in a new area (like Idaho) that I don't really know anyone yet who have similar gun intrests and gun rights views. I think I would really like to also get involved in IPSC or IDPA types of competition to better my skills(I'm not very good at all with a pistol). That's sort of why I asked about the long gun question. Even though I own over a half a dozen handguns, I live in a terrible state right now, and can't find places to shoot. As every one knows, long guns are not only far more effective as far as stopping power, but also far easier to learn and use under stress. I don't want to come across as a paranoid freak or like a dirty harry type guy, but without lots and lots of formal training I just don't feel comfortable with a handgun alone. I know my limitatations, as small as they are, and would never use a handgun beyond that range. Lots of guys in the gun magazines are claiming this pistol or that will only shoot 4" groups at 50 yards so it's no good. Then I think, gee I wish I could shoot that good! Maybe I'm only cut out for rifles and shotguns!

idahomilitia

imported post

Hmm, the "out to get you statement" was out of left field. I never said I thought somebody was out to get me. USMC, try to tone down the strawman arguments. I've never tried to hide my website www.idahomilitia1.com this is one of my recruiting tools. Primarily I will be going all around Idaho in my ACU uniform with a leg holstered sidearm and recruiting directly. Saying that I need this forum to recruit is another strawman argument, and I'm starting to get hay fever.

Brian, I can't help what people take offense to. If you can't grasp who the "criminals with badges" comment was directed at, then I am at a loss in trying to help you. Conduct your LE duties lawfully and you'll always have my respect.

If I may make a harsh observation, gunowners are always saying what they'll do "if" they come to get our guns, yet you cast aspersions on somebody who has dedicated himself to preparing for "if". Is this an exercise in hypocrisy? When "if" comes around to take your guns will you take "if" out all alone?

But yes, this is an open carry forum. I open carry nearly every day and am seen by a significant portion of Boise. I educate anyone who asks me about it and inform them of Idaho law. I do this to prime the public for a more organized demonstration of open carry, the Militia, but I'm a member of this forum because of our common interests, not to build the Militia from members here. My primary interest here is engaging in discussion germane to the open carry of firearms in Idaho.

So let's stay on target. I gave a general invitation to everyone here to check out my militia website when I first came here, but I won't ask anyone twice. If anyone new comes, I will briefly invite them to check out the website and do so only once. It doesn't need to be the topic of conversation and I apologize for getting caught up in it myself and diverting us from the primary purpose of this forum, but I ask you all to disregard it when I briefly inform newcomers of the website. And for my part, I will do my utmost to keep us on topic as well. Thank you all.

CPT James Ambrose