• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unicorn sighting- VCU area

mercutio545

imported post

I was driving back from the West End, and I stopped at the light on Harrison and Grace St at around 12:15 am. I saw this younger guy, about my age (early 20's) to my right, and sure enough, he was packing. He was wearing a white shirt with dog tags. Didn't look like an undercover LEO or anything. And if he was undercover, I doubt he would be OC'ing. Had an interesting way of carrying though. It looked like he was trying to pull off an OC SOB carry using a paddle holster with the grip angled to the right. Seems like an easy target for a gun grab, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

I then pulled away, and saw him walking in front of the VCU police station. I bet if a VCU police officer saw that, the guy would have a face full of cement. Still a public sidewalk, but the campus is so sprawled out everywhere, you have to be careful.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
I was driving back from the West End, and I stopped at the light on Harrison and Grace St at around 12:15 am. I saw this younger guy, about my age (early 20's) to my right, and sure enough, he was packing. He was wearing a white shirt with dog tags. Didn't look like an undercover LEO or anything. And if he was undercover, I doubt he would be OC'ing. Had an interesting way of carrying though. It looked like he was trying to pull off an OC SOB carry using a paddle holster with the grip angled to the right. Seems like an easy target for a gun grab, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

I then pulled away, and saw him walking in front of the VCU police station. I bet if a VCU police officer saw that, the guy would have a face full of cement. Still a public sidewalk, but the campus is so sprawled out everywhere, you have to be careful.

I open carry in that area sometimes, but it wasn't me.

If you are on a public sidewalk outside of a VCU property, you should have nothing to fear. A "face full of cement" should certainly result in criminal charges against the LEO, assuming you did nothing to provoke such force except walk on a public sidewalk while open carrying a handgun near a VCU property. It's been explained on this board several times that VCU's inane rule applies to thier buildings, not public property and streets outside of their buildings (or else much of Richmond would be off-limits!). Please correct me if I am wrong.

taurusfan

imported post

The VCU Police website shows exactly where they have jurisdiction. Outside of their area they can only arrest people for felonies, no traffic stops or other fun stuff.

vcujuris.gif

mcvjuris.gif

da1inyourdreams

imported post

yup that was me... hat ... glasses... dog tags..

in my experience, VCU police are the most reasonable law enforcement when it comes to dealing with OC's. maybe someone in their dept. can correct me, but i feel as if they are briefed decently on the law of the land that OC is in fact

-legal-

still not a day goes by that i am not stopped, questioned, sometimes by the likes of an officer who seems hell bent on confiscating my weapon-

one officer told me "hey why do you have that (stopping me downstairs of my residence)..? we have tons of crime and shooting's here"

and i said well NO $%^@$, thats why i carry a pistol..!!

sometimes its forgotten how dangerous this place can actually be... sure it looks nice, and it seems to be in good order... until something happens, and it does... just consult the crime statistics.

its sad that only ONE person in my day has approached me and said... "excuse me sir, but we really appreciate you being here and helping secure these streets from the criminals who pass thru here robbing folks, i have children and a wife, and they tell me they feel safer knowing your always around here"

and i said " it's not a problem... id dive straight into hell to help some one in need, even at the expense of my safety, or even my LIFE"

AND I MEANT EVERY WORD-

(one day i had helped his wife{?} remove a stubborn lid off a garbage top, and the bag ripped open and out spilled all the nasty garbage... inside you could hear an infant crying...as i was picking it up for her when she took notice of my pistol, and looked shocked... it surprised her)

as far as other folks go, instead of being rewarded with a pat on the back or a half-second chin up, i get burned and looked down upon-

the law knows it cannot be there every time when a hostile situation arises... so it is just common sense not to take the peoples right to defend themselves away from them. office's engaged in the duty of law enforcement find it convenient sometimes to overlook that.

all that being said, i was stopped on that same block the next night following the incident outside of my residence, by two of THE MOST RESPECTFUL, AND PROFESSIONAL officers i have seen in my time here. its a shame officers like those stay fresh in my mind to give the next ones, and the following ones after that to stop me the benefit of my unconditional courtesy, even at the expense of my own rights just to make life a little easier. it usually makes life harder for me-

still it is what it is, and im glad that they are doing their job's. a bit more common sense and legal wisdom could be exhibited on their part... but
nobody said life was fair-

this is my first time in this forum on OC so i had a lot of issues to cover, and i will have more to come-

Chkultr

imported post

da1inyourdreams wrote:
we have tons of crime and shooting's here"

and i said well NO $%^@$, thats why i carry a pistol..!!

sometimes its forgotten how dangerous this place can actually be... sure it looks nice, and it seems to be in good order... until something happens, and it does... just consult the crime statistics.
Hell Just stay up late and watch A&E! Crime 360. First hand look at how bad Richmond is!

Side note.... I was at an Ace Hardware oc'n when a older woman chimed in on the conversation....He husband insisted she get a ccw....He passed.... She ended up in Richmond, got lost and was at a stop light..... She said a few people approached her car...she reached under the seat pulled her pistol and they scattered like roaches when the lights come on!

Gotta love our capital!

Stay safe

KBCraig

imported post

da1inyourdreams wrote:
(one day i had helped his wife{?} remove a stubborn lid off a garbage top, and the bag ripped open and out spilled all the nasty garbage... inside you could hear an infant crying...)
I hope you meant you could hear an infant crying "inside her apartment", instead of "inside the garbage can"! :shock: