• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In Regards To Shooting On I 95

Morbid

imported post

RICHMOND, VA (NBC12) - Virginia State Police are investigating an interstate shooting that may be road rage related.

At least one gunshot was fired at a car on I-95, near Belles Road, just after 4 p.m. No one was hurt.

Police say they are looking for two men who were riding in a gray Hundai.

NBC12 will continue to follow this incident and bring you any new information as it becomes available.
By The Way... The found two men, and charged one 18 years of age with attempted murder, his choice of weapon was a 9mm they didn't say what type of handgun it was.

Okay to me this is just like the dumbest thing one can ever do, the guy fires from the passenger side, from a moving car, into another moveing car. Did this guy actually think he would hit the driver. Dude this is not Hollywood. Honestly this is probably not the worst thing this guy has ever done, but probably the stupidest. First off it's not impossible to shoot a person in a moveing vehicle from another vehicle but it ain't something an amateur could accomplish obviously since he didn't actually hit the guy, moron.

Okay they real reason for this post.

What would you as a community of OC'ers do if someone had road rage with you and started pop in off hot one's at you.

Would you respond with the same, or would you think about the safety of the public around you and just back off them or stay away and call the police?
(is probably what this guy did)

Me personally i would respond with as much force needed. Being aware of my surroundings would dictate how i would respond and what i would really do. If i had to do anything first thing i would do is get out of the line of fire. By placing my vehicle between the shooter and myself and if i had to and i mean if i absolutely had to, return fire as necessary.

Now your opinions and comments are expected, so please indulge me. :)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I use a bluetooth earpiece with my cell phone for a reason. I would try to stay away from the guy while calling 911. What else I did would depend enormously on the other traffic on the road. My inclination is that my car is a better defensive weapon/avoidance tool than my handgun in such a situation as long as traffic is moving and I remain mobile.

richarcm

imported post

If I had a nice sports car I would nail the gas and get the hell out of there while calling police. Otherwise I would slam on the brakes (assuming nobody was behind me) and then make my quickest turn off of that street then call 911.

As stupid as you say it is for an amateur to shoot another moving car....why would you then want to use the same force? So chances are you either hit an innocent bystander or injure/kill the driver and have a speeding car with a dead driver barreling down the street. I think there is a reason that cops tend to try to get the car stopped before using deadly force.

Morbid

imported post

richarcm wrote:
If I had a nice sports car I would nail the gas and get the hell out of there while calling police. Otherwise I would slam on the brakes (assuming nobody was behind me) and then make my quickest turn off of that street then call 911.

As stupid as you say it is for an amateur to shoot another moving car....why would you then want to use the same force? So chances are you either hit an innocent bystander or injure/kill the driver and have a speeding car with a dead driver barreling down the street. I think there is a reason that cops tend to try to get the car stopped before using deadly force.

If you read what i said, i said if i absolutely had to i would. Trust me it would be my last resort. You read to much into what i said. I am no amateur if that's what your implying and im insulted that you implay that without knowing anything about me.

Im not saying i could hit a person in a moveing vehicle from another one but leading a target is not hard if you know what your doing, i have a fine resume of firearms training and skill to back me up, and i have enough experince to say under that situation i probably couldn't hit the guy. On another thought if i had any dought what so ever in my mind i wouldn't even draw my weapon.

There are plenty of videos of cops not waiting before the return fire to a vehicle there are plenty of examples of them not waiting due to the damage they pose to surrounding public, i would hope before i even have to get as far as firing back that he would be stopped in his vehicle.

··°-° Mørß °-°··

ccunning

imported post

Morbid wrote:
If you read what i said, i said if i absolutely had to i would.

I just can't imagine a situation where firing my weapon from a moving vehicle while driving would be the best choice to make. Like richarcm said. If I thought I could out run them I would try (hopefully after getting their tag number). If I didn't think I could I would come to a stop and prepare to use my car as cover/concealment as best I could. In either case, I'd be calling 911.

72Malibu

imported post

Out of concern for public safety, the first thing I would do is (safely) nail the brakes and get behind them, get the license plate # and get away from them as quickly as possible.

Now, if they continued to pursue me as opposed to 'popping off a few caps' and running... now that would be a different story.

Neplusultra

imported post

72Malibu wrote:
Out of concern for public safety, the first thing I would do is (safely) nail the brakes and get behind them, get the license plate # and get away from them as quickly as possible.

Now, if they continued to pursue me as opposed to 'popping off a few caps' and running... now that would be a different story.
What about slamming on the brakes and doing a high speed pitt maneuver ;) That would probably be illegal even if there were no other traffic issues...... But then again, what if he also slows and continues to fire?

Armed

imported post

Depends on how much other traffic is around me.

Option A: slam on the brakes to get behind them. Make sure it stays that way - with them somewhere in front of me.

Option B: sideslamthem off the road. Note: I'm driving a Dodge Ram that weighs 6600 lbs curb weight. I'm assuming BG's arelikely driving some small rice burner thatlikely weighs about one-third of my truck.

Neplusultra

imported post

Armed wrote:
Option B: sideslamthem off the road. Note: I'm driving a Dodge Ram that weighs 6600 lbs curb weight. I'm assuming BG's arelikely driving some small rice burner thatlikely weighs about one-third of my truck.
That's what I was thinking. My truck is only 4800 pounds but of course most of that is near the front. It would be kind of fun to take a Blackwater defensive driving course :^). When younger (HS) we did all types of driving. Used to go out whenever it snowed just because it was so easy to lose traction, which equals fun IMO :^)! Never tried anything like a pitt though. Not sure what that would be like.

Carnivore

imported post

That would definitely freak me out, as I commute an hour each way to and from work on interstate and there's always a couple of vehicles that have a serious fluctuation of speed as opposed to just setting the cruise and finding a spot to settle in.. I guess I'd try to drop back, and keep the vehicle within eyeshot while contacting 911 with a description and tag number, now if the vehicle in question attempted to maneuver back to position next to me or commenced to firing on me or another vehicle, I guess the ole .44 mag would have to be plan "B"..:X

FogRider

imported post

I honestly can't imagine a situation where attempting to return fire from a moving vehicle could possibly help the situation. And that's coming from someone with a pretty vivid imagination.

Carnivore

imported post

FogRider wrote:
I honestly can't imagine a situation where attempting to return fire from a moving vehicle could possibly help the situation. And that's coming from someone with a pretty vivid imagination.

I don't think returning fire would be coming someone with a level head assessing (hey dude I've got a better Idea, hows about I shoot at your car and see how you like it)

But if the scenario went to the extreme and your life or the lives of others continued to be put in danger, there would be a very fine line between Vigilante/Hero/ and concerned citizen.. and one had better hope ya assesed the situation well enough before returning fire so the laws evaluationwould find you a concerned citizen and proof determined that you saved innocent lives..

LEO 229

imported post

Know your target and what is beyond......

BTW: Doug Huffman... I sent you a PM... please check it and get back to me. Thanks.

Neplusultra

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Know your target and what is beyond......
I would say this would be the biggest issue with shooting back. With cars moving so fast, especially those going the other way, they would be coming in and out of the line of fire very quickly. Plus with all that is going on I'd say you'd have a very high probability of not hitting your target.

Morbid

imported post

Armed wrote
There where driving a Honda if i remember the news dude correctly the site had not been updated with the current 23:00 news. :lol: good pick...

Yea a nasty run in wonder if insurance would cover that??? lol

For the rest of yall lol i drive a small economy car :( with great sadness but it good on gas, so i doubt i could out run them if i tried. I would have to agree and say i would probably do some fancy maneuvers i learned is PSD to get behind them and then get info, and hit the next off ramp, with them in front of me a dash over to the off ramp would leave them on the Interstate. Leaving me hopefully out of harms way.

For all you fine people who think it would be ridiculous to shoot back, well i agree, it would be very dangerous for the other driver's on the road, but what if they go psycho and don't just stop with me, drive someone over the edge we got another serial killer lose..... i know i can go on and on with What If Q/A's all day it is a forum opinions run it......

In all reality it depends on the person, who you are dictates what you will do in a situation. Honestly do you carry a gun to show it off? or to bring attention to yourself? or do you carry a gun to protect yourself your loved one's, friends family, and last but not least your fellow innocent man? What is a gun if it is not use properly? In my opinion there are three types of people who carry gun's 1. Good Guys (hey that's us btw) 2. bad guys (that's the one's who we don't like) and last but not least 3. the one's who think it makes them look cool, or because it brings some attention to them they didn't get in High School.....

Hey someone shoots at me if the situation is rite, he will get a few of Hornady's 45 185gr JHP in his butt, or i should say somewhere in his center mass, since that's what im taught. From a moveing car, i doubt it seriously because first off i wouldn't trust my aim in a moveing vehicle being shot at, had that happen don't wish to ever see it again.

I did not go off to war only to come home and get shot by some idiot who is out of his freaking mind to think i will stand by and be a victim if that happened who would be here to bring the difference's out in everyone :D

I am a debater i like to debate things of interest it is fun to learn people's perspectives on thing's. Don't feel like my comments back are to be mean or rude, just stating the facts of the matter, can't handle the truth online o well...

··°-° Mørß °-°··

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I use a bluetooth earpiece with my cell phone for a reason.

And, would that reason be the joy of the device failing to understand your voice-command to call 911 due to the stress in your voice?

Edit: It would depend if I had a passenger. If I were alone, my inclination would be to stop my car and, assuming they didn't react instantly to stop themselves, get out and take cover behind (preferably) my engine bay. Then I'd call the police. I'd try not to return fire on a freeway.

Glock27Bill

imported post

marshaul wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
I use a bluetooth earpiece with my cell phone for a reason.

And, would that reason be the joy of the device failing to understand your voice-command to call 911 due to the stress in your voice?

Edit: It would depend if I had a passenger. If I were alone, my inclination would be to stop my car and, assuming they didn't react instantly to stop themselves, get out and take cover behind (preferably) my engine bay. Then I'd call the police. I'd try not to return fire on a freeway.

^^^^^^^^^^^

What deepdiver said.

Stop and get behnd that engine block FAST. And call 911.

doug23838

imported post

Break contact. Create distance.

One idiot has already identified himself. The highways don't need two armed idiots shooting at one another, most likely missing, potentially hitting _____ (you fill in the blank).