• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In Regards To Shooting On I 95

sccrref

imported post

IANAL but I recall something from the CC class I took which went something like, "In Virginia, you must attempt to remove yourself from the danger (or such)if possible before using lethal force." So, if you kept your foot on the gas or sped up to catch them and then you actually hit and killed them. You might .... be a Redneck.. I mean have some problem with your use of lethal force. Just a thought.

Armed

imported post

sccrref wrote:
IANAL but I recall something from the CC class I took which went something like, "In Virginia, you must attempt to remove yourself from the danger (or such)if possible before using lethal force." So, if you kept your foot on the gas or sped up to catch them and then you actually hit and killed them. You might .... be a Redneck.. I mean have some problem with your use of lethal force. Just a thought.

You're right. In Virginia we have the duty to retreat first. I thought about that after I made my comment about the possible side slam manuever. That would put me in the position of either leaving the scene of an accident, assuming my vehicle was still able, or I stop and potentially become engaged in a firefight which might lead to prosecution later.

Hmm...great choices. :cry:

Neplusultra

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
Break contact. Create distance.

One idiot has already identified himself. The highways don't need two armed idiots shooting at one another, most likely missing, potentially hitting _____ (you fill in the blank).
Doug, is that a real picture of you?

Edit: ;)

Neplusultra

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
SIGguy229 wrote:
PIT manuever?
Most agencies in this area don't even teach that anymore much less allow it.
Don't know if that's true or not but I'd consider it depending on the situation. That's one "major" issue that is difficult to gauge, and that is the situation at hand. Can you retreat? How fast can you remove yourself from the situation. Are they continuing or attempting to continue firing? And a whole host of legal difficulties with Virginia's current "must retreat" law. It's basically an evil law, IMO. Castle doctrine makes things so much simpler legally. You shoot at me, or threaten to shoot at me and I can do whatever I need to do to stop that threat. As long as you make the first move.

Virginia law as it is gives "great" advantage to the bad guy.

Carnivore

imported post

Definitely different geographical locations would call for different actions, I've driven most of the beltway around and through D.C., and Baltimore, and you Virginia folks are right, I wouldn't attempt to shoot across 4 and 6 lanes of traffic, but my present location has me near and south ofSt. Louis Mo,Interstate 55, Mo. state hwy 67 are like long drag strips straight and 4 lane 2 each directionIf I decided it was time to go defensive, that wouldn't be a tough manuever or a tough shoot through the course of my commute.

But the chance of being judged as Vigilante versus concerned citizen would for sure be a heavy decision making factor.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Cars can slow down much faster than they can accelerate, moreover the bad guy would have to turn around into an unnatural shooting position to shoot to the rear of the car, so getting behind the guy is the safest and easiest thing to do top get out of the line of fire.

Get the tag and call 911 for help. If the guy pursues you, or slows his car to get back beside you, that is when you have to decide if you will stop the car and shoot back. If that happens you should get out and take to hard cover before the fight begins in earnest. But shooting back should be the last resort, escape and communication is always the first choice.

Remember we carry firearms for DEFENSIVE purposes, not so we can attack perceived threats, but so we can defend against them by matching force with force as a last resort.

Regards

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
BTW: Doug Huffman... I sent you a PM... please check it and get back to me. Thanks.
You sent me another PM rather than 'a' private message.

I now have three from you. If you can't have your say in public, considering what you sent previously in private, why would I want to read more foul drivel?

And I don't hate you because that would be like hating cartoon characters Mickey Mouse and his cousin Anony.

doug23838

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
doug23838 wrote:
Break contact. Create distance.

One idiot has already identified himself. The highways don't need two armed idiots shooting at one another, most likely missing, potentially hitting _____ (you fill in the blank).
Doug, is that a real picture of you?

Edit: ;)

Sadly. It is. I've had numerous surgeries to help make me look more "normal". Thedoctors say only a fewdozen more and I'll be "done".

Funny, people never seem to notice my handgun.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Stop ASAP or maneuver behind the shooter's vehicle. Get a tag number if possible or just a description of the vehicle. If you have an exit ramp... take it. Acceleration only leads to a chase and or another problem with LE... or the following perp.Exit your vehicle and take cover if the perp stops or backs up. Call 911 butuse only deadly force to defend yourself in your immediate situation if reasonable and prudent. Don't be shootin' into traffic or such. Try not to silhouette yourself and change your position if you continue to be shot at. If there's anything around... like a gas station or diner... 'Get there. If there's woods or such... take cover within. Whatever... don't escalate the situation.

Sea_Chicken

imported post

I would probaly down shift in my truck get behing them and rem the living hell out of them if i was by myself, but if i was with my wife and kid i would hit the brakes and try to turn off and get away to a safe point where i can get my family somewhere safe before i attemped anything if they followed me.

doug23838

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
That's great :^)! Did you do that back in your college days or did one of your kids do it for you :^)?

Kids? You think a guy with my looks could have kids? People take their children in off the street when I go for a walk.

I don't know where I found that picture. It was somewhere on the net and said "man I've got have that. I might even put it on my eharmony page."

Neplusultra

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
That's great :^)! Did you do that back in your college days or did one of your kids do it for you :^)?

Kids? You think a guy with my looks could have kids? People take their children in off the street when I go for a walk.

I don't know where I found that picture. It was somewhere on the net and said "man I've got have that. I might even put it on my eharmony page."
Dood, you win the first out loud laugh of the day award! My belly was a bouncin' up and a down.

You know I've had the same idea of posting a photo of myself like that on yahoo personals!!! The photo I was thinking of using is at the bottom of the page at the link below. It's a real photo of me and my bestest and oldest friend. Be sure to read the caption.

http://neplusultradeus.livejournal.com/