• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man takes intruders' gun, chases them from home

Armed

imported post

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-now-suffolkman.s3,0,1100297.story

Man takes intruders' gun, chases them from home
BY MIKE HOLTZCLAW | 757-928-6479
12:13 PM EDT, September 3, 2008

SUFFOLK - A man told police that three males broke into his Suffolk home and held him at gunpoint, but he managed to grab one of their guns and chase them from his house.

According to the police report, the man was approaching the door to his home on Bradford Drive around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday night when three males came after him with guns and forced him into his residence. Once inside, they demanded money and access to his safe.

The 38-year-old man told police that while he was being held in his bedroom, he grabbed one of the guns away from the intruders, at which point all three fled the residence and drove off in a silver or grey van.

The police report said the man fired at least one shot at the van, missing his target and striking a vehicle in a neighboring driveway.

George said police are investigating the incident, and the intruders could face kidnapping charges if they are identified and arrested.

Anyone with information on the incident can call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nor was the homeowner for firing that shot, but then again he may not have been a gun owner himself, thus lacking any training or forethought on the matter.

Armed

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Nor was the homeowner for firing that shot, but then again he may not have been a gun owner himself, thus lacking any training or forethought on the matter.

I also doubt that he is a gunowner, or at least, a trained gunowner. Had he gotten "lucky" and actually hit one of subjects and killed him, the gunowner would likely be charged with murder since theimminentthreat was over as demonstrated by the subjects' effort to flee.

It also appears the subjects knew the target kept a safe. That suggests they know this guy, and he probably knows who they are as well. The article suggests all three of the BG's had guns. So I can't understand how he gets one of them, and the other two do not shoot. There are many details we don't know, but this part doesn't smell right to me. We'll see what comes out of this.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

When I was a cop... we could shoot fleeing 'felons'. Reason being that felons are a continuing commuity threat. I doubt he'll be in the jackpot tho under the circumstances.

N00blet45

imported post

Whether he had firearm's knowledge or not, whether he missed his target or not, the man had some balls for taking a firearm away from another man. The guy should get some credit for not letting the burglars dictate the terms.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Armed wrote:
...The article suggests all three of the BG's had guns. So I can't understand how he gets one of them, and the other two do not shoot....
I would venture to guess that the BG's had no intention of killing him. All of them may not have even had loaded firearms. They were suddenly presented with the option of fleeing, empty handed, with attempted robbery/kidnapping on their heads, OR becoming murderers with a relatively small amount of loot for the cause. Even a dumb criminal can figure that problem out pretty quick :).

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DreQo wrote:
I would venture to guess that the BG's had no intention of killing him. All of them may not have even had loaded firearms. They were suddenly presented with the option of fleeing, empty handed, with attempted robbery/kidnapping on their heads, OR becoming murderers with a relatively small amount of loot for the cause. Even a dumb criminal can figure that problem out pretty quick :).
Your point is well taken but I think you give them too much credit. I believe the criminals are cowards and fled when their intended victim fought back. They were unprepared for a fair fight. But I'm speculating.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

cccook wrote:
DreQo wrote:
Your point is well taken but I think you give them too much credit. I believe the criminals are cowards and fled when their intended victim fought back. They were unprepared for a fair fight. But I'm speculating.
That, too :D.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Also the others may have been busy ransacking other spots in the house,
and not all watching the grand safe cracking operation.

But miss an entire van, my wife would pistolwhip me for that one:banghead:
Although if he was fireing from around an obstuction maybe
we can give him credit, could have gone under and hit car on other side,
if he was aiming at tires and skipped the round.
Alas with news reports and facts never going together it is hard to judge.

Statesman

imported post

Armed wrote:
The 38-year-old man told police that while he was being held in his bedroom, he grabbed one of the guns away from the intruders, at which point all three fled the residence and drove off in a silver or grey van.
That had to be embarassing. What do you want to bet the two others put the beat down on the guy that lost his gun to the homeowner? :lol:

Armed

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
Whether he had firearm's knowledge or not, whether he missed his target or not, the man had some balls for taking a firearm away from another man. The guy should get some credit for not letting the burglars dictate the terms.

No doubt! This guy deserves an "I've-got-balls" medal!!!:celebrate

Perhaps this"open-carry" group should consider developing an award or citiation of some kind,to send to suchcitizens to affirm our approval and support oftheir demonstrated actions of courage. Just a thought....

like_the_roman

imported post

Funny.

The Brady Campaign says that we shouldn't own guns because criminals will just take them and use them against us.

I wonder what Paul Helmke would say about situations like this.

ODA 226

imported post

This is the SECOND home invasion in the past three months in Suffolk where the intruders KNEW that there was a safe in the house. Are these attacks related?

I have a 1,000 pound Browning Safe at my place. Everyone in my house has immediate access to at least two firearms that can be brought to bear in less than 5 seconds from anywhere in the apartment. The BGs better not even thinkabout trying to rob my place. I know I can hitat target the size of a van...and targets much, much smaller.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

What's your definition of rapid fire, ODA? Some people consider rapid fire to be emptying the mag as fast as possible. In most "qualifications" that I've seen or done, rapid fire was simply about one shot a second, which is more than enough time to re-aim before every shot. This is in contrast to "slow fire", which is 10 seconds or more between shots, allowing time to lower the arms and rest.