Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Most confusing ~

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    Does anyone have a definitive answer for the State of Connecticut?

    I have talked to a Sgt at the State Police and he stated CT was not an Open Carry state.

    I called the Bluementhal's Office and they stated they had no idea and I should call the Law desk at the State Library.

    The Library, while extremely polite and helpful was unable to "Interpret" the Laws.

    Goldberg got arrested not for open carry but because someone identified the bulge of a firearm that WAS concealed!

    Like the Subject says...this is Most confusing.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    241

    Post imported post

    Look at the state statutes and tell me where in any statute it says that a pistol or a revolver must be concealed by a person issued a state permit to carry pistols or revolvers. You won't find it anywhere. Therefore Connecticut is an open carry state.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Britain, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    107

    Post imported post

    dbernor wrote:
    Does anyone have a definitive answer for the State of Connecticut?

    I have talked to a Sgt at the State Police and he stated CT was not an Open Carry state.

    I called the Bluementhal's Office and they stated they had no idea and I should call the Law desk at the State Library.

    The Library, while extremely polite and helpful was unable to "Interpret" the Laws.

    Goldberg got arrested not for open carry but because someone identified the bulge of a firearm that WAS concealed!

    Like the Subject says...this is Most confusing.

    Any help would be appreciated.
    My permit says 'State Permit To Carry Pistols And Revolvers'.

    I don't see 'Concealed' anywhere. I have a digest of state firearms laws that I got from the state police (entitled 'Reference Guide') and I can't find anything about 'concealed carry' there either.

    Whether or not the copsLIKE open carry is really not our concern. If a cop tries to stretch that 'mature judgement' bs to a charge of 'breach of the peace' or 'disorderly conduct', as with the 'James Goldberg Incident', it will come around and bite them in the ass. Peaceably open-carrying a holstered sidearm is NOT a crime no matter how many gun-grabbing vermin wet their little shorts or squeal in fear.

    The latest stuff I've read about 'Goldberg' is that the state police finally took statements from three folks working at Chili's and they all say (if I remember correctly) thatGoldberg was just sitting there waiting for his takeout food. All thisstuff can be found on Ed Peruta's website.

    Stay safe!

    mg

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    100

    Post imported post

    It is legal, but the DPS, BFPE and most police departments enforce a non existent requirement to conceal. Most people honestly believe that there is a law requiring concealment, due to conversations like you have had, and even the NRA sponsored pistol permit classes teach this. They did in mine. This "requirement" appears to come from the DPS, who have decided, without any authority to do so, that CT is a concealed carry state.
    Ed Peruta has legal actions pending, and I am currently working in the town of Branford. I have a letter ready to send to the Branford Chief of Police, that I just got back tonight after review and advice from attorney Rachel Baird, who is representing Mr. Peruta and me on this.
    Hopefully I will get a meeting with Chief DeCarlo, and assurances that I will not be arrested for exercising my right to openly carry in Branford. I also intend to do the same in surrounding towns that I frequent, with the intention of openly carrying as I go about my business in the town of Branford and surrounding towns.
    I am hopeful that this will go smoothly, and uneventfully, and will encourage others to do the same in their towns.

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    dbernor wrote:
    Does anyone have a definitive answer for the State of Connecticut?

    I have talked to a Sgt at the State Police and he stated CT was not an Open Carry state.

    I called the Bluementhal's Office and they stated they had no idea and I should call the Law desk at the State Library.

    The Library, while extremely polite and helpful was unable to "Interpret" the Laws.

    Goldberg got arrested not for open carry but because someone identified the bulge of a firearm that WAS concealed!

    Like the Subject says...this is Most confusing.

    Any help would be appreciated.
    Never ask police for legal opinions. If you have a license to carry, it is not unlawful to carry, openly, or concealed. Period.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    101

    Post imported post

    LKB3rd wrote:
    It is legal, but the DPS, BFPE and most police departments enforce a non existent requirement to conceal. Most people honestly believe that there is a law requiring concealment, due to conversations like you have had, and even the NRA sponsored pistol permit classes teach this. They did in mine. This "requirement" appears to come from the DPS, who have decided, without any authority to do so, that CT is a concealed carry state.
    Ed Peruta has legal actions pending, and I am currently working in the town of Branford. I have a letter ready to send to the Branford Chief of Police, that I just got back tonight after review and advice from attorney Rachel Baird, who is representing Mr. Peruta and me on this.
    Hopefully I will get a meeting with Chief DeCarlo, and assurances that I will not be arrested for exercising my right to openly carry in Branford. I also intend to do the same in surrounding towns that I frequent, with the intention of openly carrying as I go about my business in the town of Branford and surrounding towns.
    I am hopeful that this will go smoothly, and uneventfully, and will encourage others to do the same in their towns.
    As a fellow Branford-ite (I think that's right) and an NRA Instructor, in my classes I inform that while the word "concealed" does not appear in the statute, the State will attempt ruin your day if you carry openly and are stopped. Use your own judgement. Personally, open carry, while liberating, doesn't make too much tactical sense to me. But that's just me.

    I've followed this board for some time now and even posted once or twice. I am interested in the open carry debate if only for the sake of making the law clear to those who are tasked with enforcing it. I would much rather be confronted with this attitude.

    "Do you have a permit for that?"
    "Yes Officer I do."
    "Well, I got a call and I have to check it out."
    "Here you go Officer."

    "Okay Sir, you check out. Have a nice day." At that point the officer should turn to the complainant and say, "Nothing here to see folks, move on."

    I know this would happen only under the MOST ideal conditions in the Northeast.

    I thought of contacting Ms. Baird if only to have her on file if I need her. I hope you would give us an update as to the results of your discussion with the Chief.

    But I'm interested in your letter, and would consider signing on if possible. PM me information if you would.

    LQM
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” —Samuel Adams

    "Here sir, the people govern." -- Alexander Hamilton (speech in the New York ratifying convention, 17 June 1788) Reference: The Debates of the Several State..., Elliot, vol. 2 (348)

    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." -- Thomas Jefferson

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    100

    Post imported post

    LQM, I was wondering if the concealment piece was part of the curriculum for the NRA classes in CT, or if my instructor just included it on his own. My teacher told us that they could revoke your permit if it became visible. Turns out that is true, but he didn't add "unlawfully" in front of it, like in my opinion he should have :/ .
    My reasons for wanting to open carry aren't tactical, although I don't see any tactical disadvantage to it. In the current climate of gun fear, with the "gun grabbers" spouting nonsense left and right about all sorts of horrible things that supposedly happen "because of guns," if we all walk around with our guns concealed, then no one knows that responsible, law abiding citizens carry guns. If they see me, or you, or anyone carrying a handgun, going about our business, with nothing bad happening, then the next time a politician starts up with the nonsense about how stricter gun laws will save lives, maybe they will say "hmm, that polite man at the deli was carrying a gun the other day, and none of these bad things happened."
    I also like it because it feels more honest to me, instead of feeling like I am doing something that needs to be hidden.
    Thirdly and just as important to me, is making the point to law enforcement that they are there to enforce the law, and will not be allowed to enforce things that are not the law, especially when doing so means arresting people who are not breaking any laws.
    I will definitely keep you updated on how things go in Branford, and will pm you. Hopefully soon you will be able to say "In Branford, and the surrounding towns, the police enforce the laws as they exist, so you can carry openly or concealed, according to your personal preference."

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    When I took my Training class I was informed as well that should your weapon become visible; kiss your permit goodbye.

    Also, I tend to carry when I take my kids out fishing or hiking and it's a bit unnerving to worry if someone caught a glimpse of my holster as I was tying my kids shoe or something.

    I fail to understand how clarifying a law is so difficult for this state?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Enfield, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    313

    Post imported post

    I took my class 4-5 years ago and there was no mention of a requirement to conceal....I would also like to sign on/take a look at that letter..i am from a suburb of Hartford and would like to get the ball rolling up here

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    101

    Post imported post

    <<LKB3rd wrote:
    LQM, I was wondering if the concealment piece was part of the curriculum for the NRA classes in CT, or if my instructor just included it on his own. My teacher told us that they could revoke your permit if it became visible. Turns out that is true, but he didn't add "unlawfully" in front of it, like in my opinion he should have :/ .>>

    Perhaps he should have. As I stated, I make it clear that the word concealed does not appear in the statute, but also make it clear to be prepared for the inevitable result of your actions. LQM

    <<My reasons for wanting to open carry aren't tactical, although I don't see any tactical disadvantage to it.>>


    That is my own head going into tac-overdrive. I have reasons for making that claim, and they are of course, tactical. I'm speaking of a situational awareness sense. Very few people can walk around with the Spidey-sense turned on all the time. But that's a topic for another discussion. LQM

    << In the current climate of gun fear, with the "gun grabbers" spouting nonsense left and right about all sorts of horrible things that supposedly happen "because of guns," if we all walk around with our guns concealed, then no one knows that responsible, law abiding citizens carry guns. If they see me, or you, or anyone carrying a handgun, going about our business, with nothing bad happening, then the next time a politician starts up with the nonsense about how stricter gun laws will save lives, maybe they will say "hmm, that polite man at the deli was carrying a gun the other day, and none of these bad things happened."
    I also like it because it feels more honest to me, instead of feeling like I am doing something that needs to be hidden.
    Thirdly and just as important to me, is making the point to law enforcement that they are there to enforce the law, and will not be allowed to enforce things that are not the law, especially when doing so means arresting people who are not breaking any laws.
    I will definitely keep you updated on how things go in Branford, and will pm you. Hopefully soon you will be able to say "In Branford, and the surrounding towns, the police enforce the laws as they exist, so you can carry openly or concealed, according to your personal preference."
    >>

    Kudos! Well said.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” —Samuel Adams

    "Here sir, the people govern." -- Alexander Hamilton (speech in the New York ratifying convention, 17 June 1788) Reference: The Debates of the Several State..., Elliot, vol. 2 (348)

    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •