• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Most confusing ~

dbernor

imported post

Does anyone have a definitive answer for the State of Connecticut?

I have talked to a Sgt at the State Police and he stated CT was not an Open Carry state.

I called the Bluementhal's Office and they stated they had no idea and I should call the Law desk at the State Library.

The Library, while extremely polite and helpful was unable to "Interpret" the Laws.

Goldberg got arrested not for open carry but because someone identified the bulge of a firearm that WAS concealed!

Like the Subject says...this is Most confusing.

Any help would be appreciated.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

Look at the state statutes and tell me where in any statute it says that a pistol or a revolver must be concealed by a person issued a state permit to carry pistols or revolvers. You won't find it anywhere. Therefore Connecticut is an open carry state.

MGoduto

imported post

dbernor wrote:

I have talked to a Sgt at the State Police and he stated CT was not an Open Carry state.

I called the Bluementhal's Office and they stated they had no idea and I should call the Law desk at the State Library.

The Library, while extremely polite and helpful was unable to "Interpret" the Laws.

Goldberg got arrested not for open carry but because someone identified the bulge of a firearm that WAS concealed!

My permit says 'State Permit To Carry Pistols And Revolvers'.

I don't see 'Concealed' anywhere. I have a digest of state firearms laws that I got from the state police (entitled 'Reference Guide') and I can't find anything about 'concealed carry' there either.

Whether or not the copsLIKE open carry is really not our concern. If a cop tries to stretch that 'mature judgement' bs to a charge of 'breach of the peace' or 'disorderly conduct', as with the 'James Goldberg Incident', it will come around and bite them in the ass. Peaceably open-carrying a holstered sidearm is NOT a crime no matter how many gun-grabbing vermin wet their little shorts or squeal in fear.

The latest stuff I've read about 'Goldberg' is that the state police finally took statements from three folks working at Chili's and they all say (if I remember correctly) thatGoldberg was just sitting there waiting for his takeout food. All thisstuff can be found on Ed Peruta's website.

Stay safe!

mg

LKB3rd

imported post

It is legal, but the DPS, BFPE and most police departments enforce a non existent requirement to conceal. Most people honestly believe that there is a law requiring concealment, due to conversations like you have had, and even the NRA sponsored pistol permit classes teach this. They did in mine. This "requirement" appears to come from the DPS, who have decided, without any authority to do so, that CT is a concealed carry state.
Ed Peruta has legal actions pending, and I am currently working in the town of Branford. I have a letter ready to send to the Branford Chief of Police, that I just got back tonight after review and advice from attorney Rachel Baird, who is representing Mr. Peruta and me on this.
Hopefully I will get a meeting with Chief DeCarlo, and assurances that I will not be arrested for exercising my right to openly carry in Branford. I also intend to do the same in surrounding towns that I frequent, with the intention of openly carrying as I go about my business in the town of Branford and surrounding towns.
I am hopeful that this will go smoothly, and uneventfully, and will encourage others to do the same in their towns.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

dbernor wrote:

Never ask police for legal opinions. If you have a license to carry, it is not unlawful to carry, openly, or concealed. Period.

LQM

imported post

LKB3rd wrote:
It is legal, but the DPS, BFPE and most police departments enforce a non existent requirement to conceal. Most people honestly believe that there is a law requiring concealment, due to conversations like you have had, and even the NRA sponsored pistol permit classes teach this. They did in mine. This "requirement" appears to come from the DPS, who have decided, without any authority to do so, that CT is a concealed carry state.
Ed Peruta has legal actions pending, and I am currently working in the town of Branford. I have a letter ready to send to the Branford Chief of Police, that I just got back tonight after review and advice from attorney Rachel Baird, who is representing Mr. Peruta and me on this.
Hopefully I will get a meeting with Chief DeCarlo, and assurances that I will not be arrested for exercising my right to openly carry in Branford. I also intend to do the same in surrounding towns that I frequent, with the intention of openly carrying as I go about my business in the town of Branford and surrounding towns.
I am hopeful that this will go smoothly, and uneventfully, and will encourage others to do the same in their towns.
As a fellow Branford-ite (I think that's right) and an NRA Instructor, in my classes I inform that while the word "concealed" does not appear in the statute, the State will attempt ruin your day if you carry openly and are stopped. Use your own judgement. Personally, open carry, while liberating, doesn't make too much tactical sense to me. But that's just me.

I've followed this board for some time now and even posted once or twice. I am interested in the open carry debate if only for the sake of making the law clear to those who are tasked with enforcing it. I would much rather be confronted with this attitude.

"Do you have a permit for that?"
"Yes Officer I do."
"Well, I got a call and I have to check it out."
"Here you go Officer."

"Okay Sir, you check out. Have a nice day." At that point the officer should turn to the complainant and say, "Nothing here to see folks, move on."

I know this would happen only under the MOST ideal conditions in the Northeast.

I thought of contacting Ms. Baird if only to have her on file if I need her. I hope you would give us an update as to the results of your discussion with the Chief.

But I'm interested in your letter, and would consider signing on if possible. PM me information if you would.

LQM

LKB3rd

imported post

LQM, I was wondering if the concealment piece was part of the curriculum for the NRA classes in CT, or if my instructor just included it on his own. My teacher told us that they could revoke your permit if it became visible. Turns out that is true, but he didn't add "unlawfully" in front of it, like in my opinion he should have :/ .
My reasons for wanting to open carry aren't tactical, although I don't see any tactical disadvantage to it. In the current climate of gun fear, with the "gun grabbers" spouting nonsense left and right about all sorts of horrible things that supposedly happen "because of guns," if we all walk around with our guns concealed, then no one knows that responsible, law abiding citizens carry guns. If they see me, or you, or anyone carrying a handgun, going about our business, with nothing bad happening, then the next time a politician starts up with the nonsense about how stricter gun laws will save lives, maybe they will say "hmm, that polite man at the deli was carrying a gun the other day, and none of these bad things happened."
I also like it because it feels more honest to me, instead of feeling like I am doing something that needs to be hidden.
Thirdly and just as important to me, is making the point to law enforcement that they are there to enforce the law, and will not be allowed to enforce things that are not the law, especially when doing so means arresting people who are not breaking any laws.
I will definitely keep you updated on how things go in Branford, and will pm you. Hopefully soon you will be able to say "In Branford, and the surrounding towns, the police enforce the laws as they exist, so you can carry openly or concealed, according to your personal preference."

dbernor

imported post

When I took my Training class I was informed as well that should your weapon become visible; kiss your permit goodbye.

Also, I tend to carry when I take my kids out fishing or hiking and it's a bit unnerving to worry if someone caught a glimpse of my holster as I was tying my kids shoe or something.

I fail to understand how clarifying a law is so difficult for this state?

buketdude

imported post

I took my class 4-5 years ago and there was no mention of a requirement to conceal....I would also like to sign on/take a look at that letter..i am from a suburb of Hartford and would like to get the ball rolling up here

LQM

imported post

<<LKB3rd wrote:
LQM, I was wondering if the concealment piece was part of the curriculum for the NRA classes in CT, or if my instructor just included it on his own. My teacher told us that they could revoke your permit if it became visible. Turns out that is true, but he didn't add "unlawfully" in front of it, like in my opinion he should have :/ .>>

Perhaps he should have. As I stated, I make it clear that the word concealed does not appear in the statute, but also make it clear to be prepared for the inevitable result of your actions. LQM

<<My reasons for wanting to open carry aren't tactical, although I don't see any tactical disadvantage to it.>>

That is my own head going into tac-overdrive. I have reasons for making that claim, and they are of course, tactical. I'm speaking of a situational awareness sense. Very few people can walk around with the Spidey-sense turned on all the time. But that's a topic for another discussion. LQM

<< In the current climate of gun fear, with the "gun grabbers" spouting nonsense left and right about all sorts of horrible things that supposedly happen "because of guns," if we all walk around with our guns concealed, then no one knows that responsible, law abiding citizens carry guns. If they see me, or you, or anyone carrying a handgun, going about our business, with nothing bad happening, then the next time a politician starts up with the nonsense about how stricter gun laws will save lives, maybe they will say "hmm, that polite man at the deli was carrying a gun the other day, and none of these bad things happened."
I also like it because it feels more honest to me, instead of feeling like I am doing something that needs to be hidden.
Thirdly and just as important to me, is making the point to law enforcement that they are there to enforce the law, and will not be allowed to enforce things that are not the law, especially when doing so means arresting people who are not breaking any laws.
I will definitely keep you updated on how things go in Branford, and will pm you. Hopefully soon you will be able to say "In Branford, and the surrounding towns, the police enforce the laws as they exist, so you can carry openly or concealed, according to your personal preference."
>>

Kudos! Well said.