• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ramp & Throat Job ?

Dustin

imported post

I own the new XDM .40.

It performs flawlessly.

BUT, I was talking to an Uncle of mine and he offered to do a Ramp & Throat job on my XDM for free. He's done this to about 60 or more other pistols, and he also further explained to me why it was a good idea.

I've run about 300 rounds thru my XDM so far. No Issue's whatsoever.

My question is; Is this really needed for a brand new pistol ?

rodbender

imported post

Probably not needed, but it is nice, especially for free. I would do it. I think that's just a polish job on the feed ramp and chamber, right?

Orygunner

imported post

My first thought was ofsomething illicit on a freeway entrance ;)

I don't know much about fine tuning guns, but my opinion is this: As with anything you buy, it should function correctly out of the box. Some tweaking may be necessary for it to function as designed, usually under warranty by the manufacturer. (for example: my new Yamaha ATV isn't idling right. it's in the shop right now for repair under warranty). The same should go with a new gun (or any age Taurus), if it's not functioning correctly (jamming), then the manufacturer should correct the problem.

Just like my ATV, if I want to do some performance-enhancing work to it, like apipe, intake, and rejet the carb, I'll do so to make it better. You can do the same thing to your pistol if you choose, and get the ramp & throat job to help ensure reliable feeding. However, if no problems so far, I would think it's optional.

Just my thoughts. A difference is that a failure to feed on my quad probably isn't going to cost me my life ;)

...Orygunner...

eyesopened

imported post

If it ain't broke...

As long as it's feeding everything, I don't know why you'd want to change things. Will it start feeding rounds that much better?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I've considered such for two pistols only, my 'new' (Interarms) Luger and my ex's Keltec .32.

It worked great on the Keltec as part of a fluff and buff.

The Luger shoots the ammo it's s'posed to well enough and is better left alone. It's my prettiest pistol and probably most valuable left alone. I've taken huge grief for even shooting it.

I hope that someday I can wear it as part of formal dress with a kilt or tux.