• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Challenging campus gun law?

DustoneGT

imported post

I am an NMSU student and I can't carry, concealed or not, on campus.

With the VT incident and others like it, I am a bit concerned and feel like a fish in a barrel.

SCOTUS recently ruled that the second amendment is an individual right when they struck down the DC gun law. The 14th amendment and subsequent rulings have established that states have to adhere to the Bill of Rights.

How would I go about challenging New Mexico law as unconstitutional? I don't want to take a gun on campus and get arrested with it to challenge it that way.

Has somebody challenged this law before? Would this change now with DC v. Heller?

like_the_roman

imported post

1. The 2nd Amendment hasn't been specifically incorporated (yet.)

2. Join Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. Become an activist or leader for your campus. (Politely) pester the administration, your state representatives, anybody who has an ear; to allow students to defend themselves.

3. Otherwise, move to Utah.

SickTag

imported post

I can relate to this. You can have your gun in your car but that is about it. I agree that you should be able to OC or CC w/permit at Universities etc... The only students that I know who carry are also law enforcement, in which case the University cannot say they cannot carry, especially to the State Trooper who I have had a couple of classes with. He says because of his job he isnt bound by the same laws when it comes to carrying, etc... Schools, campus, etc...

Nitrox314

imported post

I never like to leave mine in the car. Either the car will get broken into or, if you have a safe, they might just steal the whole car. I have heard abou this from people who lock up their laptops in the trunk, so the theives take the car. Does it not perpetuate the problem of illegal weapons? If some guy or girl breaks into your car and gets your gun, whats going to stop him from going on a rampage in the school? Makes it easier for a psycho to aquire the weapons, instead of trying to buy legally or try to buy illegally on the street. He just has to walk into the parking lot to the car he knows has a gun because he has seen that person OC in town, break the window or locks and voila he has a good chance to get the gun (Who keeps a safe in their car anyways?) and attack some students or that teacher that pissed him off.

nmshooter

imported post

I recently graduated at NMT and I felt the same way. The only action I took was a facebook event which anyone who supported oc carried their holster that day. I got lots of funny looks and a few people asked questions but that is as far as that got.

As what to do, start a club, getsome numbers who believe your cause and start hosting events that the university will notice (in a positive manner). That is my recommendation.

MedicOni

imported post

When I was at NMT I was too young to carry a pistol, but now that I'm at CNM doing my paramedic classes I wish I could carry. Seeing some of the people that go to CNM, makes me wonder when they'll snap...