• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good LEO involved carrying experiences vs. bad

Neplusultra

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
I've had numerous non-encounters...that'd be positive, no?

7-11 in Blacksburg, run into cops plenty, open carrying plenty, nothing.

As for negative...haven't had any, nor would I hold any negative experience against "law enforcement" as a body of people just because of one mix-up with one person.
I take it you're a student?

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:

As for negative...haven't had any, nor would I hold any negative experience against "law enforcement" as a body of people just because of one mix-up with one person.

Redshirt Senior. :p

Neplusultra

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:

Very good, being I'm not a former college guy, I'm not sure what a "redshirt" is but that don't matter. If you OC and ain't a criminal that's OK.... :^) We need to get together sometime with all the other gun nuts on campus!!! A day of shooting, and an evening of eating, hmmmm......

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:

Very good, being I'm not a former college guy, I'm not sure what a "redshirt" is but that don't matter. If you OC and ain't a criminal that's OK.... :^) We need to get together sometime with all the other gun nuts on campus!!! A day of shooting, and an evening of eating, hmmmm......

NCAA sports rules say that you only get 4 years of eligibility to actively play, but you can "redshirt" which is to say that you're on the team for that year, but not playing in the games. So if you do that, you start playing in your second year of college as a "redshirt freshman" and so on...

I don't play a sport, but I am on my 5th year of college :lol:

I went shooting this afternoon...100 rounds left my house and only 7 came back...1 in the pipe and 6 in the magazine.

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My experiences have all been good/neutral. I haven't been pulled over OCing on the motorcycle or stopped while shopping. Several officers have noticed, even one in Winchester who was driving his police car behind me while I was OCing on my motorcycle.

As long as I don't get "bothered" just because I'm OCing, I consider that good/neutral. :)

Heck, I have more store clerks asking me about it than anything else. hehe

Neplusultra

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
I went shooting this afternoon...100 rounds left my house and only 7 came back...1 in the pipe and 6 in the magazine.
Jefferson Forrest? that is really a nice place to shoot. We're lucky to have such a place so close. I only wish it had a 300+ yard rifle range.

Did you practice draw and fire? I'm getting pretty good doing 4" groups at 21 feet with rapid double taps. I haven't quite got to the point where the barrel naturally comes up on target yet though. Which of course adds about 1/2 second to my time.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Yes in the Nat'l Forest, but no on the draw. I don't like watching a guy in the stall next to me draw a loaded gun over and over, so even though I know I'm safely doing it, I hate making folks feel uncomfortable around me (which I may do).

I'll practice my draw if the range is empty/uncrowded, but last night every stall had a shooter...and one had two folks in it.

Neplusultra

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Yes in the Nat'l Forest, but no on the draw. I don't like watching a guy in the stall next to me draw a loaded gun over and over, so even though I know I'm safely doing it, I hate making folks feel uncomfortable around me (which I may do).

I'll practice my draw if the range is empty/uncrowded, but last night every stall had a shooter...and one had two folks in it.

You've got a point, of course when I've been there it's almost always empty. I don't do drills everytime. I suppose you could ask everyone if they'd mind. I was surprised that they let you do draw and fire drills at the NRA range in NOVA. There were a number of people there doing so.