• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle group hits the media

retrodad

imported post

Emphasis mine...
Shelly Bates, a Beacon Hill resident and mother of three, feels that if she went on one of the patrols, she's not sure she'd ask who's carrying a gun—in large part because she doesn't want to know. "I'm not sure I'd be ready to deal with [people carrying guns on the walk]," she says, adding that while she realizes she probably should ask the parents of her kids' playdates if they have guns at home, she doesn't do that either. "They don't appear like gun owners to me, but you ask a question like that and people you never thought might be. It could change your whole perspective of what you think of them. I'm not sure I could deal with that information."

Good Lord. "..don't appear like gun owners...?" How the hell do gun owners "appear" on average? Disheveled? Mumbling to themselves? Wearing gang-related sports apparel?

Even worse is the fact that she feels she just couldn't deal with that knowledge about a neighbor!

Ah... such a tolerant, open-minded, highly-strung city.

scarlett1125

imported post

But this is exactly why we are here and why we OC. It's important for people to see us going about doing normal, everyday chores and the like in order to change that perception of gun owners. The media has been allowed to run roughshod all over the perception of guns, and if we want to maintain our 2A rights, we have to be the ones to change those perceptions. Otherwise, we are all at risk of losing those rights and finding ourselves in a much worse predicament.

thewise1

imported post

Jamfish wrote:
Emphasis mine...
Shelly Bates, a Beacon Hill resident and mother of three, feels that if she went on one of the patrols, she's not sure she'd ask who's carrying a gun—in large part because she doesn't want to know. "I'm not sure I'd be ready to deal with [people carrying guns on the walk]," she says, adding that while she realizes she probably should ask the parents of her kids' playdates if they have guns at home, she doesn't do that either. "They don't appear like gun owners to me, but you ask a question like that and people you never thought might be. It could change your whole perspective of what you think of them. I'm not sure I could deal with that information."

Good Lord. "..don't appear like gun owners...?" How the hell do gun owners "appear" on average? Disheveled? Mumbling to themselves? Wearing gang-related sports apparel?

Even worse is the fact that she feels she just couldn't deal with that knowledge about a neighbor!

Ah... such a tolerant, open-minded, highly-strung city.

Yeah, I was reading this and was going to post this as well.

Personally, I'd prefer to have my daughter at playdates where there are guns in the house. I don't want her to grow up with her head in the sand like that woman.

thewise1

imported post

Overall I thought that was a very balanced article, though. Obviously I think the individuals against gun ownership are not being logical, but it wouldn't be right to not include their view as well just because they disagree with me.

G27

imported post

I'd say for the most part it was a good article, expect for the mention of the "gun ban".

Cheney says he went to that first meeting "armed" with information to dispense to his critics, none of whom showed. "Their loss," he chides, adding that he'd like to hold future gatherings in places like Queen Anne and Capitol Hill (the group's next meeting is in Bellevue on Sept. 20). He also plans to invite the City Council to his meetings, and to lobby against Mayor Nickels' gun ban on all city-owned property.

When will people understand there is no gun ban and even if there was, it was be completely illegal and unenforceable.

Bear 45/70

imported post

G27 wrote:
I'd say for the most part it was a good article, expect for the mention of the "gun ban".

Cheney says he went to that first meeting "armed" with information to dispense to his critics, none of whom showed. "Their loss," he chides, adding that he'd like to hold future gatherings in places like Queen Anne and Capitol Hill (the group's next meeting is in Bellevue on Sept. 20). He also plans to invite the City Council to his meetings, and to lobby against Mayor Nickels' gun ban on all city-owned property.

When will people understand there is no gun ban and even if there was, it was be completely illegal and unenforceable.
You can't fix stupid! Too many people believe the crap politicians put out and what the press tells them.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Good article except for the stupid part reinforcing the incorrect notion of Nickel's non existant ban. He has achieved what he wanted simply by suggesting he may do it. The power of ignorance cannot be underestimated. People who continue to express this idea there is a Seattle ban are only HURTING our cause.

Bear 45/70

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Good article except for the stupid part reinforcing the incorrect notion of Nickel's non existant ban. He has achieved what he wanted simply by suggesting he may do it. The power of ignorance cannot be underestimated. People who continue to express this idea there is a Seattle ban are only HURTING our cause.
You will notice the media has done nothing to correct the misinformation give to the public.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

IIRC the Seattle Times ran a piece about it. As far as the TV nooz goes, it probably didn't fit any sound bites.

Write a reporter about it. Heck if EVERYONE here wrote the same person at the Times, PI or other media outlet with a polite letter suggesting they run a follow up on it, someone would and the rest would follow.

Media is market driven. Let them know what this part of the market demands.

Metal_Monkey

imported post

thewise1 wrote:
Overall I thought that was a very balanced article, though. Obviously I think the individuals against gun ownership are not being logical, but it wouldn't be right to not include their view as well just because they disagree with me.
Agreed. I also get the chuckles when some people like that say the most ignorant things. It's almost like they grew up in an Amish colony:p

David.Car

imported post

Jamfish wrote:
She would much rather live in a neighborhood where not one person could protect themselves from home intruders... Oh wait, there are places like that... It is called the UK.
stantis.jpg

redboneshadow

imported post

The 2nd amendment group will be meeting in Bellevie sept 20th at 10 am at the I Hop located at 14747 NE 20th St everyone is welcome to come. Then we will be going to Wade's to shoot right after breakfast and the meeting. Anyone interested in joing the group may6 we need strong supporters to get this group off to a great start and to form a real core.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

What is the size of the "Group" since the article did not say? As one who Open Carries 98% of the time I do not see how a few folks walking in the neighborhood Concealed Carrying is making a difference.
The way I read the story sounds like the group is cruising the streets looking for trouble. While I support the idea, I think the process is wrong. When the attack comes I can see the city turning this and using it to their advantage.

Now all of this is what I gather from a news paper article. We have seen how the CC community looks upon the OC community at times. I would love to meet with the group in person and make a better judgement from there but I will not CC just to "blend in."

redboneshadow

imported post

[align=left]In the walking group which is seperate from the 2nd amendment group there are 5 of us. The 2nd amendment group "citizens for the 2nd amendment" there are 10 of us so far and looking to grow the membership. Both are open to everyone and you dont have to just CC it is open to open carry as well. After all the 2nd amendment is the 2nd amendment. The group I walk with is just my way of giving back to the community. Every right has a responsibility. We need strong people in the 2nd amendment group and it is open to anyone in the city, county, state. Will be working to get a web site up. Our forum is found at www.RTKBA.com either under the state forum for washingtom or forums but is listed as the name of the group. Hope this helps make it clearer.
[/align]

Dave The Welder

imported post

For its part, the Seattle Police Department is mum on the subject. "We are here to uphold the law," says Officer Jeff Kappel, a department spokesperson. "As long as people are exercising their rights lawfully, we have no issue or opinion."
Why can't all officers be like this one, and not feel the need to detain and educate us on their opinion?