• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Badge or No Badge?

Do you wear a Badge when you open/conceal carry?

• All badges all the time for me

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Re shirt; dark blue with yellow block letters "POLITE" front and back.

That's funny in so many ways. It would leave the gun haters scratching their heads.

Doug I enjoy your cerebral humor.

6.8SPC

imported post

I agree with the rest (no badge) it's not only a dumb idea, it is just asking for trouble. Some unknowing citizen sees you with a badge they may flag you down for assistance as all LEO's are required to provide to them, you know to protect and serve so to speak. And in doing so could be implied as impersonating a LEO.

Jered

SIGguy229

imported post

peanut wrote:
I see a lot of folks on the internet talk about their CCW Badges etc. I am 50% on the fence about the badge thing. It's not required by law in TN and I see how it could cause trouble. 1/2 of me says that in this day in age, the badge keeps prying and tattle tale eyes from calling the cops on you in the grocery store. The other part of me says, " your not a cop, so stop wearing the badge"! What are your thoughts and stories? Thanks, K.

By the way, great site!
what forums are you frequenting? Of the 3-4 forums I frequent, the prevailing attitude is negative towards CC (or OC) badges. 1-it screams cop-wannabe; 2-in some states, it is illegal to own; 3-if you CC, why have a badge; 4-if you OC, do you WANT to be mistaken as a LEO? (see #1); 5-people laugh at people with badges if they are not LEOs or Fire/EMS (i.e. TSA "agents", mall security, crossing guards, Geek Squad).

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I started seein' all sorts of fancy badges show up in various catalogs years ago... before the internet... or even PC's. Poser pogybait. Badge cases too 'n wanna-be ID's with fancy soundin' 'titles' too. I reckon people bought 'em... or they wouldn't make 'em.I s'pose the lounge lizards scarfed 'em up tho. Everybody who's got that 'Secret Sam' thing goin' on.Like CIA and SEAL posers... (whom I've encountered here 'n there...)

Word Up! Don't buy, carryor wear any of that junk.

TheMrMitch

imported post

OK....I'll weigh in. I'm a sworn deputy in Ky. Nooblet has met me. I carry open and do NOT show a badge. A CC badge to me is a waste of money and very vain.:what:

Though I'm exempt from most places that ban guns, I follow the rules and contact any owner that bans guns. So.....My $.02 worth.......NO badges.

impulse

imported post

The reason I heard behind the ccw badges. Is if you happen, too have to use your firearm for self defense, that you show the arriving the LEO's the badge. So they don't mistake you as the BG. Regardless I think it's a retarded idea.

Sheepdawg

imported post

Statesman wrote:
No state issues CCDW badges, only licenses. Badges are available for sale on the private market, because they are not illegal, and there are customers that will buy them. If you buy one, don't use it.
I just looked up some badges online and those silly things ain't really cheap! About $30 a pop! I find it hard enough to believe that someone would carry one of these badges because of all the reasons stated so far in this thread, but then add on the cost of an item that carries no legal weight or authority what so ever. Its just something that says "Hey! Look at me! I'm special!" So dumb!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Show arriving LEO's a 'badge' of that type in any 'situation''n you'll be the first one in the silver bracelets. Your CCW card is all you need. Whoever wrote that ('sounds like a promo for the mechandise) is clueless.

IMHO... wanna-be badges make you an automatic cuff candidate for 'Impersonating'.

Paul Volk

imported post

Funny, this is the first I've ever heard of such badges. I just googled them to see a few images for myself. I can honestly say that I will never utilize such an item. Mostly for reasons stated by SIGguy229.

SIGguy229 wrote:
1-it screams cop-wannabe; 2-in some states, it is illegal to own; 3-if you CC, why have a badge; 4-if you OC, do you WANT to be mistaken as a LEO? (see #1); 5-people laugh at people with badges if they are not LEOs or Fire/EMS (i.e. TSA "agents", mall security, crossing guards, Geek Squad).

peanut

imported post

Impersinating a police officer can get you 2 months in jail I just learned from a lawyer friend of mine... I can't imagine open carry, much less with a Dollywood sheriff badge.... Here is one of about 5 cases I have read about on this website... I'll try to find the others guys.... enjoy, but be polite.. :)

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum50/7058-1.html
Read the 12th line down or so...

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

"What's all this I keep hearing about stinking badgers?" - Emily Lutella

And no...Gilda Radner didn't really say this.

Silverfox44

imported post

Well i can see from the post that i am the only one that does believe the badge helps. When i bought it it came with a leather badge holder with a leather protector flap so it does not get scratched, along with a place to show your ccw permit along with a passport photo insert. When i oc like i did last night at a local restaurant, i had the leather type wallet in my pocket but did not display the badge. I agree that just displaying the badge causes more trouble then it is worth, but if asked about the gun it is easy to take it out show your photo, ccw and badge. It quiets the matter very quickly.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Still makes people think you're somethin' your're not. Badges are associated with some sort of 'authority'... which you don't have either.

So... lets say somebody else gets queried about their OC weapon by the same person. "Where's your badge...? The last guyI asked had badge. So then you may have a MWAG call situation 'cause Joe Sixpack has the initial 'badge' concept implanted in his gray matter.

It's bad enuff that the news weenies promulgate the persistant idea that people need: "Permits" "Licenses" "Registrations" or a note from the Pope to openly carry firearms... or even own them. All that 'badge' does is confuse the issue. Itmay give you some kind'awarm fuzzies...but if you flash that badge to a LEO... he's prob'ly gonna have even more 'questions'.

'Don't matter what you think or your intentions... it's what's immediatly perceived. What's perceived is that you're impersonating a LEO with that thing. Just wear your sidearm 'n forget about badges 'n doo-dad's. Toss that junk in the nearest trash can.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Wear a badge! Now what was that famous line.....
" We don't need no stinking badges.... "

Maybe a little badge emblem with a strike trough it for each LEO
who has harrassed you to wear proudly on the holster.
Much like the fighter pilots did for thier planes.
I don't want to notch the nice holster leather.
Five badges makes you an ace encounterer.:celebrate

Maybe a set of scales for court case wins. LEO sees a bunch of those
and maybe will just walk away........

tracylaud83

imported post

CCW badges are a bad idea.

LEO badges, different story.

But I know LEO's that won't display their badges unles they have to drawtheir weapon. (in other words, hopefully never)

I know alot of LEO's that CCW when off duty.