Thread: Open carry badge?

Post imported post

Why couldn't a badge be made that could clip on to your belt next to your handgun that had the Michigan Open Carry emblem on it?

I know when I had mygun in my holster and my Sheriff's Officebadge, there was little worry from thecitizens about my weapon. Perhaps few would actually read the lettering, but feel a bit relieved that it was a "badge". And to those that did inquire, have a small pamphlet ready to give to them to explaining, briefly, our position and rights.

It could be anice looking badge with gold background around the blue, and would not define it as associatedwith any law enforcement entity. It would be a volunteer thing and would be sold to those members of the Michigan Open Carry Organization.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I think this could open the carrier up to charges of officer impersonation.

That is not a fine line that I wish to walk.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******

Post imported post

The biggest problem you run into with badges being custom made is fiduciary security. Badges on average, custom made to order, run around $200 for a regular rhodium plate shield. Having been the sec./treas. for the Marshall City Firefighters Association, we started buying badges for our retirees this last year and were looking at Blackinton badges for roughly $190 a piece. If you were to step back and take a premade badge, you can find them for roughly $25-$65 a piece. Now add in a badge holder, because nobody really wants a badge pinned to their shirt. I'd say contact Galls, Blackinton Badges, or another retail source to have a badge made, but it's not going to be something that is cheap, nor can be done in an expediant amount of time.

*S*

Post imported post

Sound likte it is out of reason for expense then. Plus I was not sure of the statutes regarding impersonating an officer in this state. Been a while since I had a clip on badge, but was wondering of the possibilities. Making enough to warrant setup and run time may be the biggest concern, plus the necessity to make sure it does NOT look like any Law agency.

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    I think this could open the carrier up to charges of officer impersonation.

That is not a fine line that I wish to walk.
    Technically, the charge can be levelled, however it won't stand up in court. It's the same principal as the "CCW" badges, "Security Officer" badges, and the like. You can have a badge made to say anything you want, as long as you are what the badge says you are.

Coming from a fire department with badges, and a security company with badges, I've had 2, and was told as long as I hold whatever title they announced me as, I'm in the clear on them.

*S*

Post imported post

No problemo Darth. Better to ask a question, and get an answer, than to not ask, and get arrested for something.

*S*

Post imported post

Michigan statutes do prohibit unauthorized persons from wearing badges of specific agencies and "facsimiles" or that lead people to believe you are police, security, EMS, fire, etc. personnel. Technically, it seems if a badge's design and wording on the badge doesn't violate that, then it is legal. However, the determination of whether you have a "facsimile" or could have reasonably led people to believe you were something you are not, intentionally or unintentionally, would be up to a prosecutor and/or a jury to decide.

Also, my understanding of one of the philosophies of the civilian open carry movement is to "desensitize" people to thelawfulcarry of a holstered handgun by mere citizens. The effort is to make folks easy about seeing other folks with holstered guns, not holstered guns AND a badge. People are already easy about seeing someone with a holstered gun and a badge on their belt . . . they assume it is law-enforcement.

I don't know about you, but for the above reasons I think the badge idea isn't a good idea for a regular citizen involved in the open carry movement.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

DanM wrote:
    Also, my understanding of one of the philosophies of the civilian open carry movement is to "desensitize" people to thelawfulcarry of a holstered handgun by mere citizens. The effort is to make folks easy about seeing other folks with holstered guns, not holstered guns AND a badge. People are already easy about seeing someone with a holstered gun and a badge on their belt . . . they assume it is law-enforcement.

I don't know about you, but for the above reasons I think the badge idea isn't a good idea for a regular citizen involved in the open carry movement.
    Excellent point. ++1.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

I have seen "concealed" badges on several different holster/accessories sites. I think the "intention" of the badge was a good idea, however feel they are very cosmetically misleading. As such i would never purchase/wear/display one.

Post imported post

I've never liked the idea of badges for CC/OC.

That's my $.02, and I reserve the right to change at any given moment.

Post imported post

YOU CAN BUY A CCW BADGE HERE.

http://www.ccwsupply.biz/CCWBadgePAGE.htm
    What Do I Feel When I Kill A Terrorist? .........A Little Recoil

Post imported post

Gosirr wrote:
    YOU CAN BUY A CCW BADGE HERE.

http://www.ccwsupply.biz/CCWBadgePAGE.htm
    Yep, pretty badge. Looks a LOT like some officers badge. Maybe could say

C oncealead I nformation A vailable..

Post imported post

Darth,

If somebody did do it, I think you are right, nobody would say much, proably not even other leo's, unless you stopped to talk to them

Post imported post

"A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun"
    Don Henley

Post imported post

steve jaye wrote: What a waste of money. It wont make a difference after a defensive shooting whether you show your CPL or this badge. I think this isjoke and will only get someone in trouble.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******
    What does this have to do with a CPL/MOC badge?

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Post imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
    steve jaye wrote: What a waste of money. It wont make a difference after a defensive shooting whether you show your CPL or this badge. I think this isjoke and will only get someone in trouble.
    Did you bother to read the whole thing?

Post imported post

I don't think carrying a badge is a good idea for persons who don't "traditionally" wear a badge in the course of his/her employment.

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    Tucker6900 wrote:
    ***face turning red****

No.

Post imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
    dougwg wrote:
    Tucker6900 wrote:
    ***face turning red****

No.
    hehe... I didn't think you did. As for what they are selling I think it has it's place.