• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OPEN CARRY

dreamer669

imported post

Went to Jays in Clare, their sign says all weapons must be checked in and tagged, ccw has exception, Went to counter to return holster, Asked at counter about OPEN CARRY in store. She said unloaded and tagged No exception. and if I HAVE A CONCEALED WEAPON,and they find out you will be asked to unload and get it tagged also. My ? would be should I talk to manager about the Mi preemption LAW and asked if they can review their policy. Or is there a better way to handle it.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

dreamer669 wrote:
Went to Jays in Clare, their sign says all weapons must be checked in and tagged, ccw has exception, Went to counter to return holster, Asked at counter about OPEN CARRY in store. She said unloaded and tagged No exception. and if I HAVE A CONCEALED WEAPON,and they find out you will be asked to unload and get it tagged also. My ? would be should I talk to manager about the Mi preemption LAW and asked if they can review their policy. Or is there a better way to handle it.

I think you need to talk to the manager. I was just at Jays last weekend and put up one of Warchild's wanted posters on OC on their bulletin board. When I was at the handgun counter I was told I could carry in my handgun to try on holsters. You may have talked to an uniformed employee.

Call, write, western union, telegraph, whatever, the manager and try to get his response in writing. Tell him about the growing OC movement in Mich. and that we have thousands of hits a month. All willing to take there business elsewere if need be.

warlockmatized

imported post

dreamer669 wrote:
It never hurts to inquire further OR to take it to a higher level. However the fact remains.....Since it IS private property, they CAN make their own rules.

Tucker6900

imported post

dreamer669 wrote:
Michigans Preemption law does not apply to private property. I would talk to the manager about what he/she policy is, and followthat.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

dreamer669 wrote:
I will talk to the manager, looking for some pamplets ,how do I get them mailed to me.

You can download general info on the OC INFO threadnear the top of the forum page. Open the thread and scroll down a bit. You will see two documents you can download.

As for Private property they can ban green T-shirts (been a while since I used it) if they want. All you can do is explain that it is legal, that the other major sporting goods stores follow state law, and that he will lose money and have his store talked in a negative way on pro-gun sites.

warlockmatized

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:
I was just at Jays last weekend and put up one of Warchild's wanted posters on OC on their bulletin board.
Not to get OT, but what are these posters you're talking about?
They were handed out at Warren. Some real nice posters Jerry made.

They say "WANTED responsible citizens to exercise their rights to openly carry a handgun in Michigan (some restrictions apply). Everyone is welcome, carrying a gun is not required. More info at opencarry.org" All typed onto a parchment graphic.