• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Places to shoot near Pullman/Moscow

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Does anyone know of any public places to shoot around here? I would prefer public land rather than a range, since the closest one is in Lewiston. Thanks.

G27

imported post

I remember someone (a few guys at tri-state store) was telling me about 30-45 minutes north of Moscow there is some public land a lot of guys go shooting off of. I also know that Dave has mentioned in the past that he knows some old fighter pilot guy that said they could shoot of his land in Pullman? Hope that helps.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Yeah, definitely. Thanks. Lemme know if you find out where that public land is.

Shy_Panda

imported post

We used to go up through potlatch and harvard to the boyscout camp. A little ways further up the road is essentially a gravel dump where you can tell LOTS of guys went shooting... including us :p. I would put that at about a 30 min drive from moscow.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
We used to go up through potlatch and harvard to the boyscout camp. A little ways further up the road is essentially a gravel dump where you can tell LOTS of guys went shooting... including us :p. I would put that at about a 30 min drive from moscow.

How does one get there? I'm not familiar with the area north of Moscow.

Pullmanite

imported post

You want the range near Helmer.

From Moscow, go out towards Troy. Go through Deary. Just before you get to Helmer, take a right towards a campground. Stay on that road for a while. After you cross a bridge, take a left. Shortly you'll see a short gravel pit on your left. Go up the hill for a half mile further to find the 100 yard pit.

And please clean up your brass afterwards. The folks who shoot there now keep it pretty nice.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Pullmanite wrote:

From Moscow, go out towards Troy. Go through Deary. Just before you get to Helmer, take a right towards a campground. Stay on that road for a while. After you cross a bridge, take a left. Shortly you'll see a short gravel pit on your left. Go up the hill for a half mile further to find the 100 yard pit.

And please clean up your brass afterwards. The folks who shoot there now keep it pretty nice.

Thanks for the info. It's an unorganized public shooting pit, right? So no fees or whatnot? As for the brass, don't worry, I'm a responsible shooter and I will make sure those with me are as well.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Hahaha if you wanna give me a .45 to shoot, I'd be glad to leave some behind.

Pullmanite

imported post

Both the pits are just that- gravel pits.

Do be careful when trucks and such drive on the trails by.

You can get 70 yards from the bottom quarry from the rear berm (closest the main road) to the rock face. 100 yards in the big pit from the tree on your right as you drive up to the rock face.

just_a_car

imported post

Well, if that's the case, please, anyone that goes to shoot there, be careful of rock-ricochets that could come back and hit you or someone nearby. At the very least, make sure everyone present is wearing proper eye-protection that can withstand the impact of a rock and not shatter (glasses, unless OSHA certified, won't cut it).

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Most definitely. The last thing we want is random crap hitting us in the eyeballs. I'm hoping the backstop isn't just a sheer wall of solid rock, though.

Shy_Panda

imported post

Pullmanite wrote:

I thought that gravel pit was still operational, seems to me that there are quite a few rigs there still working it... mabey I am thinking of a different pit, hope so.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
Pullmanite wrote:

I thought that gravel pit was still operational, seems to me that there are quite a few rigs there still working it... mabey I am thinking of a different pit, hope so.

Where is the pit where you went shooting? Are they not the same one?

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
It wasn't a gravel pit, more like a gravel dump in the middle of a clear cut forrest by camp grizzley (BSA). If we are thinking of the same gravel pit then it is much closer.

So... how do I get there?

holepoker

imported post

Panda

You are refering to "The Dredges". That area is owned by the Potlatch Corp., and IIRC they now charge a recreational usage fee. Last I heard it was for campers, and ATVs. Before anyone goes there they should look into what the fee applies to.