• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

frankenmuth

ruger45

imported post

just talked to frankenmuth police and they know open carry is ligell.but was told you people will not come up here and carry with out a cpl slam.oh then he slammed the phone down.i just called to make sure they new it was liggel before i did it for the car show .juguess i just found out it was don something and he is the police cheif.i guess i wont do to the fact i have researved a hotel room for the weekend and if i go to jail i would loose 400 dollars in rooms.

warlockmatized

imported post

ruger45 wrote:
i just called to make sure they new it was liggel before i did it for the car show .
I find myself in the position of repetition when it comes to the subject of members calling the police to ask regarding OC. PLEASE stop this practice of calling them to ask. You already know it is legal.

Now if you choose to call and inform for the sake of education, rock on. But i personally feel the general questions regarding the legality of OC is going to get you no where. Most will tell you "no" since they don't want you to do it. Their answer is NOT based on fact OR the law.

ruger45

imported post

i did not call to ask permission i called to make sure they was aware.so that i would have no coflicts and possibly loose 400 dollars invested in this trip over me ocing

SQLtables

imported post

Interesting, I just talked to the chief to get my new handgun "inspected". I was CCing at the time though.. too bad, if I wasn't on my way to work, I would have OC'd in there.

So, if I understood correctly, he said something like "you people will not come up here and carry without a CPL"? What does that mean?

He hung up on you?

I've heard some bad things about him, but he's always been really pleasant with me.

warlockmatized

imported post

ruger45 wrote:
i did not call to ask permission i called to make sure they was aware.so that i would have no coflicts and possibly loose 400 dollars invested in this trip over me ocing
Permission? WHO was talking permission?

You stated, "i just called to make sure they new it was liggel before i did it for the car show". I understand you are trying to simply put your mind at ease. Just becasue the guy/gal on the phone says one thing, doesn't mean the street cop you encounter will share the desk cops sentiment.

Did you call the Lapeer PD to "make sure" before attending the picnic?

As discussed with you and Melanie at the Lapeer picnic. Do not let "their" ignorance of the law stop you from performing a lawful act. You "might" go to jail, it "might" cost you a few bucks temporarily.

OC in Michigan is new to almost everyone involved. The police, city attorneys, lawyers, the citizen that chooses to OC and the average Joe with an itchy trigger finger to call the law for a man in public with a gun. As such.......until it finally does become mainstream, you WILL be harassed, you MIGHT be arrested, it MAY cost you money. When you choose to OC you automatically assume any/all responsibilities contained therein.

Activism, choosing to OC as much as possible, education of law enforcement/general public and a willingness to stand up for your rights is the ONLY way it will happen.

Tucker6900

imported post

Other than him hanging up on you, which I still cant believe (well I can I guess) it seems to be the typical response gotten from most chiefs.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ruger45 wrote:
just talked to frankenmuth police and they know open carry is ligell.but was told you people will not come up here and carry with out a cpl slam.oh then he slammed the phone down.i just called to make sure they new it was liggel before i did it for the car show .juguess i just found out it was don something and he is the police cheif.i guess i wont do to the fact i have researved a hotel room for the weekend and if i go to jail i would loose 400 dollars in rooms.

Well if you do go to jail your wife will have the hotel bed to herself and finally get a good night sleep.;)

Don't let him worry you, what they say they WILL do is often not WHAT THEY DO. OC if you want or not, but don't play their game of keeping you down.

Go here, http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/15712.htmlread the article and see what you might gain...a new motorcycle! See also the reason the city settled. And this was in a kickass town with a bad PD.

SQLtables

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
ruger45 wrote:
Permission? WHO was talking permission?

You stated, "i just called to make sure they new it was liggel before i did it for the car show". I understand you are trying to simply put your mind at ease. Just becasue the guy/gal on the phone says one thing, doesn't mean the street cop you encounter will share the desk cops sentiment.

Did you call the Lapeer PD to "make sure" before attending the picnic?

As discussed with you and Melanie at the Lapeer picnic. Do not let "their" ignorance of the law stop you from performing a lawful act. You "might" go to jail, it "might" cost you a few bucks temporarily.

OC in Michigan is new to almost everyone involved. The police, city attorneys, lawyers, the citizen that chooses to OC and the average Joe with an itchy trigger finger to call the law for a man in public with a gun. As such.......until it finally does become mainstream, you WILL be harassed, you MIGHT be arrested, it MAY cost you money. When you choose to OC you automatically assume any/all responsibilities contained therein.

Activism, choosing to OC as much as possible, education of law enforcement/general public and a willingness to stand up for your rights is the ONLY way it will happen.

Well, I don't have a problem with calling to get the initial reaction of the chief. I'm glad he called. However, it doesn't matter one bit what the chief said, it doesn't change my mind. I will OC tomorrow night at the block party.

Ruger, as Doug mentioned at the picnic. If you're worried about it, you might not want to OC. I completely understand what you're feeling, and I wouldn't blame you one bit for not doing it. Let me feel it out for you ;)

Honestly, I do expect to be asked to conceal, but we'll see what doesn't happen.

ruger45

imported post

well i understand you dont have to call but for me iwould be looseing a little bit.now since i did call i know how they feel about it and i will deal with it another day soon when i dont have much to loose.i am going to have fun anyways and there is a place and time for everything.so ocing will be delt with later.

MrsRuger45

imported post

Yep! Wanna go? Maybe 3 ppl OCing at once would be too much for the LEOs to handle. Remember what you said to ruger45 & I in Lapeer? One person is a jerk, more than one, maybe they have a point!

MrsRuger45

imported post

ruger45 wrote:
well i understand you dont have to call but for me iwould be looseing a little bit.now since i did call i know how they feel about it and i will deal with it another day soon when i dont have much to loose.i am going to have fun anyways and there is a place and time for everything.so ocing will be delt with later.

I understand that OC is legal (now we just wish the LEOs knew this!), but I'm glad we're going to keep OCing in Frankenmuth for another day since I haven't had time to find out where the jail is in Frankenmuth/Saginaw County!

I do have a question for SQLtables..........really for anyone with a CPL. If a LEO asks you to cover up your gun, would you ever tell them no?

MrsRuger45

imported post

I knew that was going to come up! I've never been to jail before. I'd like to keep it that way! I don't need a motorcycle! :p Although what the police chief in Frankenmuth did by hanging up on ruger45 does kind of have me ticked off..........

ruger45

imported post

i might consider o.cing if there was more people who knows the laws better than me.see i am hot headed and i would go to jail cause i would push back and i know this about my self and would not want to ruin or weekend outing.my wife has seen me get put into a few leo cars for argueing with them and now i have a gun and they will really be upset.

MrsRuger45

imported post

I talked to a lady at my work today about OCing who lives in Birch Run, but shops in Frankenmuth. She said she was in the library the other day & someone there was OCing. She said she knows it is legal, because of me telling her about it, but she didn't like seeing the man with the gun because he didn't have a badge hanging next to it. So that is the sort of mentality that we as OCers have to deal with. I described SQLtables to my co-worker & she said it wasn't him! :?

SQLtables

imported post

Nope, wasn't me. It's good to hear there may be another OCer running around causing all sorts of trouble.

As far as being asked to conceal. Unless they ORDER me to conceal, (which they can't ,legally), I would thank them for their suggestion, and continue on my way. In fact, I was thinking about leaving my CPL at home just for this reason, but that would also mean I have to leave my backup home.

So, who all is going? I'll be with my brother. He's not realy on board, so I don't want to push it on him. If you guys are OCing, I'll try to skip back and forth or something. We can cover more ground that way anyway :p

DanM

imported post

MrsRuger45 wrote:
I do have a question for . . .anyone with a CPL. If a LEO asks you to cover up your gun, would you ever tell them no?

If it's a request, I would politely decline and repeat"Open carry is legal in Michigan."

If it's a command,I would treat the officer as adversarial and drop into "adversarial LEO encounter mode": "Am I being detained? . . . Under suspicion of what crime am I being detained? . . . Am I free to go? . . . (repeat)"

Basically, my hands aren't going anywhere near my gun, either to cover it up or to hand it over, in a LEO encounter. They can cover it or take it themselves, without resistance from me. Seems safer that way, at least to me.