• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

frankenmuth

WARCHILD

imported post

Anyone else want to go see some cars that are as old as Jerry? ;)

Hey, I resemble that remark.:p

I would be up for an OC outing in Saginaw! When, time?

SQLtables

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Anyone else want to go see some cars that are as old as Jerry? ;)

Hey, I resemble that remark.:p

I would be up for an OC outing in Saginaw! When, time?
Saginaw? You mean Saginaw County? I'll be in Frankenmuth tomorrow night, at the block party... and mostly all weekend in the afternoons.

WARCHILD

imported post

Yeah, I know. But I'm tied up for this weekend. But if the chief feels so strongly, I was merely suggesting an eventual picnic in Sag.

ruger45

imported post

sounds like a picnic in frankenmuth is in order.i could bring some hamburger and hotdogs and buns.monday i will send off the booklet for the police cheif and the grand haven papers.let him do some reading.and maybe i will buy him a book about people skills.:celebrate

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

MrsRuger45 wrote:
ruger45 wrote:
well i understand you dont have to call but for me iwould be looseing a little bit.now since i did call i know how they feel about it and i will deal with it another day soon when i dont have much to loose.i am going to have fun anyways and there is a place and time for everything.so ocing will be delt with later.

I understand that OC is legal (now we just wish the LEOs knew this!), but I'm glad we're going to keep OCing in Frankenmuth for another day since I haven't had time to find out where the jail is in Frankenmuth/Saginaw County!

I do have a question for SQLtables..........really for anyone with a CPL. If a LEO asks you to cover up your gun, would you ever tell them no?

I have said no to an LEO, my option to OC or CC with CPL. Don't let the MAN tell you what you can't do if what you are doing is legal. PERIOD. But that's just me, I'm older, have more insurance,have lots of vacation time I can use if jailed, and know a couple of good pro-gun attorneys.

You have to do what is right for you. I understand that, just think about what you have to gain by exercising your rights. What are they worth to you.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Nope, wasn't me. It's good to hear there may be another OCer running around causing all sorts of trouble.

As far as being asked to conceal. Unless they ORDER me to conceal, (which they can't ,legally), I would thank them for their suggestion, and continue on my way. In fact, I was thinking about leaving my CPL at home just for this reason, but that would also mean I have to leave my backup home.

So, who all is going? I'll be with my brother. He's not realy on board, so I don't want to push it on him. If you guys are OCing, I'll try to skip back and forth or something. We can cover more ground that way anyway :p
I would leave your CPL in the car, that way you can transport loaded, and not get in a jam that way. That's what I do. I leave my ID with it so if asked "Do you have any ID, I can say no" Or the line I like better..Do you have any ID, I can say, Yeah my teeth. But I'm not like normal people.:lol:

ruger45

imported post

got every thing in the van.some how my gun got in their .hmm thhat thing just seems to follow me around.ill probably go to jail.hey i could buy my wife that new comaro she wants and buy a new van and pay off my house.and then buy a house right next door to the police cheif.need my holster.

taxwhat

imported post

Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Nope, wasn't me. It's good to hear there may be another OCer running around causing all sorts of trouble.

As far as being asked to conceal. Unless they ORDER me to conceal, (which they can't ,legally), I would thank them for their suggestion, and continue on my way. In fact, I was thinking about leaving my CPL at home just for this reason, but that would also mean I have to leave my backup home.

So, who all is going? I'll be with my brother. He's not realy on board, so I don't want to push it on him. If you guys are OCing, I'll try to skip back and forth or something. We can cover more ground that way anyway :p
I would leave your CPL in the car, that way you can transport loaded, and not get in a jam that way. That's what I do. I leave my ID with it so if asked "Do you have any ID, I can say no" Or the line I like better..Do you have any ID, I can say, Yeah my teeth. But I'm not like normal people.:lol:
DO NOT DO THIS but I have done older not more mature jest FUN [ HA sir , madam , officer , not to be RUDE why ?] , WHAT happens if I do not ? Then thank you have a nice day!

SQLtables

imported post

Well, I just got home from the block party. Yes, I OC'd the whole time. I started walking around 5:30. Contrary to the Frankenmuth Police Chief, who said us people won't open carry in his city, nothing really happened.

The street was PACKED with people. I got a LOT of looks, and second looks, and sometimes thirds. There were tons of police all over the streets, and they all looked at me at one point or another. When I was walking past a pair of officers, I heard them talking about a man with a gun, at that same time, a gentleman in a wheel chair (who was eye level with my gun) approached the officers and pointed at me and said "That man there is carrying a sidearm." I didn't hear the response from the officers.

Ruger45 was there with MrsRuger. He called me a while after I heard that, and told me that he overheard a radio conversation, that he assumed was about me. The officer on the radio pointed in the direction I went, and they said they were "on their way to take care of him" Needless to say, I got nothing but looks from the police. I even said "hey, how are you doing?" to one as he was staring at me.

After we were done downtown, we walked up to Mcdonalds and let the kids play in the playplace for a while. Then we walked back through downtown to get back home.

All in all, I was happy with the response (or, nonresponse) of the PD here. I expected them to at least ask me to conceal, especially after Rugers trouble with the chief.

I'll post this in the experience thread too.

Even with the lack of problems today, I think we need to have a picnic in Frankenmuth. I will start another thread right now.

Was anybody else there tonight?

SQLtables

imported post

I went into the Frankenmuth PD to pick up my newest gun from being inspected for safety, and ended up having a nice chat with the Chief. He pulled me in his office and told me my name "came across his desk today", and handed me an MOC info packet and asked if I was familiar with the group, to which I said yes.

I sat down and we had a nice chat. This is just a general outline of what happened:

He said he completely agrees with the info packet, and that OC is legal, and he has instructed his officers to do nothing unless a crime is committed.

He said he wasn't even in the office the day Ruger called, so there is some confusion there. I suggested that he look into it, and find out what really happened, and which officer took the phone calls. He agreed.

He is concerned that the "conservative" shop owners here will not take kindly to OC. I told him I'll shop elsewhere if they don't want my money bad enough. Then he said he thinks it will have an economic impact on the entire state. I asked if he thinks the shops in Frankenmuth will close up and go elsewhere.

He expressed concerns about my gun being grabbed, and me being shot, to which I asked if he knew of any cases in which that had happened, and he mentioned terrorism training, which really is a different animal.

He also mentioned that some people think we might OC for "macho" reasons. I told him I do it to protect myself and my family. That's when he said "In Frankenmuth?" I wish I would have asked why the police need guns then.

Basically, he said his officers won't do anything unless a crime is committed. He doesn't seem to agree that it is a good idea, but that's OK, he knows the law, and will uphold the law.

Mission accomplished. The chief is "OK" with the legality and has informed his officers. He said they were informed back when they got the MSP legal update. Overall, I am very pleased with the conversation. The Chief seems like a great guy, and handled this very well IMO. I don't mind chatting about these issues with anybody, especially LE.

I invited him to the get together for a hot dog.

ETA: The chief seemed concerned about some of the info posted here regarding Rugers phone call. He said he didn't take the phone call, so what was posted is incorrect. Since ruger was told it was the chief, he understands that it's not ruger's fault, and I understand his concern about something like this being posted if it isn't true. Again, it sounds like he will try to straighten it out with his officers.

WARCHILD

imported post

Most excellent! I would however keep a sly thought to caution. The chief may have been there or not, the old he said.... he said..... He may not have been and given his word, I guess we can't doubt it without reason. So kudo's to you for your efforts. We will have to wait and see.

MrsRuger45

imported post

I'm glad you had the chat with the chief & he seems to be on board with OC. ruger45 will be glad to hear this.............if he would answer his darn phone!! :cuss:

ghostrider

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
I went into the Frankenmuth PD to pick up my newest gun from being inspected for safety, and ended up having a nice chat with the Chief. He pulled me in his office and told me my name "came across his desk today", and handed me an MOC info packet and asked if I was familiar with the group, to which I said yes....
Sounds like a a somewhat positive encounter with the Chief. It almost sounds like you had to leave your gun, and then later pick it up, for inspections. If that is the case, as that would constitute a waiting period, and the Chief seems so amicable, you might consider informing the Chief that such waiting periods are in violation of state law.

Sorry for the OT, but the law that prevents them from imposing a waiting period, is the same law that prevents them from restricting OC. That's of course, providing that I understood your comments correctly.

SQLtables

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
I went into the Frankenmuth PD to pick up my newest gun from being inspected for safety, and ended up having a nice chat with the Chief. He pulled me in his office and told me my name "came across his desk today", and handed me an MOC info packet and asked if I was familiar with the group, to which I said yes....
Sounds like a a somewhat positive encounter with the Chief. It almost sounds like you had to leave your gun, and then later pick it up, for inspections. If that is the case, as that would constitute a waiting period, and the Chief seems so amicable, you might consider informing the Chief that such waiting periods are in violation of state law.

Sorry for the OT, but the law that prevents them from imposing a waiting period, is the same law that prevents them from restricting OC. That's of course, providing that I understood your comments correctly.
Well, they aren't imposing a waiting period. I took the gun in on Tuesday, and the chief was out until today. He is the only one at the PD here that can do it, so I just left it. It was either that, or drive to Saginaw, which I don't have time for. According to the chief, the only department that HAS to register guns is the sheriffs office, and I think he said the only other department (in the county, I think) that does it is the Frankenmuth PD.

Basically, to avoid trying to find time to make it to Saginaw, I am willing to do what I have to with the PD here. I've had some guns finished while I wait, and some take a day or two. It all depends on if the chief is available. It's not the best situation, but it's the easiest for me.

ruger45

imported post

well i am sorry to the chief.but someone there, missed informed me about who i talked to.i hope he does figure this out cause no matter what or who it was ,it was rude and uncalled for.