• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lansing range suggestions?

cmdio

imported post

I'm heading up to Lansing this weekend to visit my girlfriend, who suprisingly asked if I knew anywhere around there we could go shooting. She has never been crazy about my guns, and while I have taken her shooting a few times before it's always been me who has brought the idea up. I would like to find someplace that I could also shoot a couple of my rifles (want to get some rounds downrange before deer season) and try out my new Mossberg 500, as well as some pistol shooting and I may bring along my .22 rifle for my G/F to try. So I would really like a place with all of those options, and prefereably one where I can bring my own ammo. I'm familiar with the DNR range in brigton, bout would like somewhere closer to go. Any information you guys could give would be great. Thanks

Tucker6900

imported post

The only oneI know of (So far) is Total Firearms. They have a pretty decent indoor range but I do believe there is a cost. Not sure what it is. Maybe some of the other guys can point you in the direction of a better place. Im sure there is more around there.

cmdio

imported post

Total Firearms looks nice, range fees are about what I pay in Detroit, and they let you bring your own ammo which is nice, and have gun rental. Downside is no rifle shooting, but I can live with that

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

cmdio wrote:
I'm heading up to Lansing this weekend to visit my girlfriend, who suprisingly asked if I knew anywhere around there we could go shooting. She has never been crazy about my guns, and while I have taken her shooting a few times before it's always been me who has brought the idea up. I would like to find someplace that I could also shoot a couple of my rifles (want to get some rounds downrange before deer season) and try out my new Mossberg 500, as well as some pistol shooting and I may bring along my .22 rifle for my G/F to try. So I would really like a place with all of those options, and prefereably one where I can bring my own ammo. I'm familiar with the DNR range in brigton, bout would like somewhere closer to go. Any information you guys could give would be great. Thanks
Rose Lake DNR range is close, about 7 miles due east of Bath, which is about 8 miles NE of downtown Lansing. No fee, but no rapid fire and the pistol range is 25 yards. They have 50 and 100 yard rifle/shot gun as well as bow and "trap" ranges. Overall a nice facility in a nice area. Website here http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-42199_39011-130852--,00.html

cmdio

imported post

Tech411, you might be able to help me. It seems from their website that only pistols are allowed on their range? is this indeed the case? I'm willing to leave the rifles in the safe this weekend if I can still try out my new mossberg, and was wondering if you've ever seen anyone shooting a shotgun there, or if it was allowed.

Michigander

imported post

Venator wrote:
Rose Lake DNR range is close, about 7 miles due east of Bath, which is about 8 miles NE of downtown Lansing. No fee, but no rapid fire and the pistol range is 25 yards. They have 50 and 100 yard rifle/shot gun as well as bow and "trap" ranges. Overall a nice facility in a nice area. Website here http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-42199_39011-130852--,00.html
I shot there once, but left in disgust after dealing with the range officers. There is looking out for safety, and then there is getting off on pushing people around. I'm sure it's not always like that, but I sure didn't like the guys running the place when I was there.:(

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Michigander wrote:
Venator wrote:
I shot there once, but left in disgust after dealing with the range officers. There is looking out for safety, and then there is getting off on pushing people around. I'm sure it's not always like that, but I sure didn't like the guys running the place when I was there.:(
They can be a little heavy handed to be sure. You are not alone in this complaint. The ranges are now under the control of DNR Law division and some of the range guys think they are CO's.

cmdio

imported post

I've shot at the Brighton DNR range and I would say the same thing about the Range Officers there. Although while I can't approve of their behavior, I do understand how after working at a range like that for a while one could become that way.

Tucker6900

imported post

tech411 wrote:
You can only shoot pistol's at Total Firearms.
Umm...Im not so sure this is true. When I was there taking my CPL Range Class, there were two guys there with rifles (One was a 22, the other was a much larger caliber but not sure what) teaching their kids how to shoot them.

lil_freak_66

imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
tech411 wrote:
Umm...Im not so sure this is true. When I was there taking my CPL Range Class, there were two guys there with rifles (One was a 22, the other was a much larger caliber but not sure what) teaching their kids how to shoot them.

i live about 3 miles due north of total firearms,and am a regular customer,visiting at the very least once a week.

there is NO long guns allowed except for .22 rimfire,andi think that is restricted to factory built .22 rimfires...no long guns with aftermarket parts to size it down to a .22 rimfire.

not sure about rapid fire being allowed,but when im there i never hear the same gun pop off more than once every 2 seconds

they rent out guns,mostly1911's and some glocks,a tec-22 and a ruger 10/22

The rose lake range is a decent place,i go almost every weekend with my 10/22 and the range officers are more than helpful,and usually only get on you about safety hazards(like the time the powder failed to ignite on the guy shooting the mossberg 500 and he almost shot another round into the other bullet,obstructed halfway down the barrel)

the rose lake does not allow human targets except for active military and LE(certain range officers will not allow this either)

they are not usually strict on the rules,and usually will let you shoot up to 1 round every3 seconds,and if you are a trusted regular visitor they generally waive the rapid fire and 6 rd. limit to an extent.

no rounds .50 BMG or larger.

rose lake also has a shotgun patterning board.

both allow air pistols over 350 fps.

both are easy to get to off the highway.

for rose lake from lansing...take 96 to the east lansing exit,make a left at the first light,go down the road about half a mile and you will see a sign for the dnr operations center,turn left,go straight until you hit the community of christ church,turn right just before the church,follow the dirt road to the next intersection and take a left,go down a bit and it is on your left side.

for total firearms coming from lansing,find cedar street,head south and follow it all the way through holt,a mile or two south of holt is where your headed,its on the east hand side of the street(heading south it is on the left hand side)

Tucker6900

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
Tucker6900 wrote:
tech411 wrote:

i live about 3 miles due north of total firearms,and am a regular customer,visiting at the very least once a week.

there is NO long guns allowed except for .22 rimfire,andi think that is restricted to factory built .22 rimfires...no long guns with aftermarket parts to size it down to a .22 rimfire.
Thats probably what they were shooting then.