Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campus Police Authority

Post imported post

Here in VA we can open carry.

Public Colleges can restrict the ability of their students according to that Attorney General opinion that we have seen posted around here before.

A non-student should be able to open-carry onto a public college to conduct business.

What is the authority of Campus Police/Security as far as detaining and/or searching your vehicle?

For example if I choose to lock my gun up in the car can they search with reasonable suspicion like Regular Officers?

Can Campus Security detain me or am I allowed to leave?

Thank you

Greg

Post imported post

Depends on the school would be my general answer. Seems that if they have the authority of a police force (Virginia Tech's Police for example, are an accredited law enforcement agency in the state of Virginia) then they have to follow the rules of a police force. If they are just security guards, then detaining you is false imprisonment.

Just my guesses, I'm not a lawyer...

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

skispcs wrote:
    For example if I choose to lock my gun up in the car can they search with reasonable suspicion like Regular Officers?
    Reasonable suspicion of a crime, if course, but having a gun on campus is not a crime, even if you are a student there.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    skispcs wrote:
    Reasonable suspicion of a crime, if course, but having a gun on campus is not a crime, even if you are a student there.
    That's right! It's breaking an administrative rule only. I recently OCed at the tech library and later heard through the grapevine that a librarian called the Tech police but they refused to respond knowing that it wasn't illegal.

Post imported post

Thank you for the responses.

I am thinking that if I open carry on campus and Campus Security walks up and gives me a hard time I can politely ask if I am free to go and walk away.

I guess that I do not even need to ask but I want to be polite.

This would be Old Dominion University if it matters.

Post imported post

Don't forget your accessories:

Virginia Gun Rights pamphlet (carry 3 or 4, they're small )

Voice recorder

Phone number of your lawyer (you probably won't need it, but it is always a good thing to have)

Hope you have a very unevent experience.

Post imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
    Don't forget your accessories:

Virginia Gun Rights pamphlet (carry 3 or 4, they're small )

Voice recorder

Phone number of your lawyer (you probably won't need it, but it is always a good thing to have)

Hope you have a very unevent experience.

I would also suggest that you actually read and memorize the pertinent Virginia Code sections. It's always good to be able to quote chapter and verse. Once they know/think you know the law better than them, that will slow them down. Also, remember this is the internet, we could be feeding you a bunch of BS too :^).

Post imported post

skispcs wrote:
    This would be Old Dominion University if it matters.
    I believe that the ODU campus police are accredited. They are also very anti gun. Be careful and expect trouble from them. Also be aware that Norfolk has a stop and identify city ordnance. Be careful out there.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Most Campus Police have sworn authority on nearby property as well as on the campus. They are sworn officers in the jurisdiction the campus is location. I know this to be true at all state supported colleges as well private colleges.

Post imported post

I'm guessing this all applies to schools that get state funding correct? Where do you go to find out if that is the case or not?

Post imported post

ccunning wrote:
    I'm guessing this all applies to schools that get state funding correct? Where do you go to find out if that is the case or not?
    It goes for all higher education schools due to preemption, except VCU in Richmond which is specifically mentioned in the Code.

Post imported post

I'm planning on going to GMU for a function next Saturday. I am not a student and I intend to open carry.

While I don't think I'll be confronted by campus or local PD, I've informed my wife so she can have bail money ready for me in case I need it. I plan on attending an event that will last over 8 hours on grassroot lobbying of elected officials.

Assuming the meeting holders don't kick me out of course. But, then I can accuse this group of 'civil liberties' crusaders of violating my civil liberties. So, win-win all around.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Xeni wrote:
    I'm planning on going to GMU for a function next Saturday. I am not a student and I intend to open carry.

While I don't think I'll be confronted by campus or local PD, I've informed my wife so she can have bail money ready for me in case I need it. I plan on attending an event that will last over 8 hours on grassroot lobbying of elected officials.

Assuming the meeting holders don't kick me out of course. But, then I can accuse this group of 'civil liberties' crusaders of violating my civil liberties. So, win-win all around.
    +1

I personally think you will be fine.. especially with all of Andrews hard work there. BTW, Andrew Dysart has recently joined the VCDL BOD. Andrew is former USMC (oo Rahhh) and started the http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum64/ GMU students for Concealed Carry.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    Xeni wrote:

+1

I personally think you will be fine.. especially with all of Andrews hard work there. BTW, Andrew Dysart has recently joined the VCDL BOD. Andrew is former USMC (oo Rahhh) and started the http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum64/ GMU students for Concealed Carry.
    I don't. The meeting is being held by the ACLU. I'm pretty sure me being openly armed will 'irk' some people off.

Anyone else want to go??

Post imported post

Xeni wrote:

I'd check it out, I'm "pretty" sure they cannot kick you out for doing something that is legal. When the MMM had their meeting at a public library they could not kick out the OCers who attended. Not sure if that applies in this case but I'd FIND OUT for sure.

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    ccunning wrote:
    It goes for all higher education schools due to preemption, except VCU in Richmond which is specifically mentioned in the Code.
    Wouldn't a privately owned "Higher education" school fall under the same laws as any other privately owned businesses and maintain a right to refuse service? I'm just trying to understand the difference. I had always thought they were subject to preemption only if they receive public funding.

Post imported post

ccunning wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    ccunning wrote:
    Wouldn't a privately owned "Higher education" school fall under the same laws as any other privately owned businesses and maintain a right to refuse service? I'm just trying to understand the difference. I had always thought they were subject to preemption only if they receive public funding.
    My understanding is that GMU is a public institution and recieves tax payer funding to fund operations. They are *not* a private institution and like any other public building can't restrict firearms to non-employees.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Xeni wrote:
    ed wrote:
    Xeni wrote:

+1

I don't. The meeting is being held by the ACLU. I'm pretty sure me being openly armed will 'irk' some people off.

Anyone else want to go??
    I don't think so either but I doubt more than getting the bums rush will happen.

Remember, your most powerful weapon is the threat of a law suit. They have a whole staff of wild eyed lawyers and a fat budget.
    Justice is very much for sale.

Whatever happens, handle it with dignity and you'll be one up on them.

Good Luck!

Post imported post

Don't forget to check out what I mentioned before. I mean that I'm pretty sure they cannot exclude you from their meeting because you are carrying. It's a public meeting in a public building. If they are renting the room that may be different but I'm not sure about that either. Not sure who you can ask but someone must know.

If I am right and they try to exclude you read them chapter and verse and mention law suits :^).

Post imported post

Xeni wrote:
    ccunning wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    ccunning wrote:
    My understanding is that GMU is a public institution and recieves tax payer funding to fund operations.Â* They are *not* a private institution and like any other public building can't restrict firearms to non-employees.
    My question was regarding Colleges/Universities in general. Not just GMU. Neplusultra seemed to contradict you too. Anyone know the definitive answer?

Post imported post

ccunning wrote:
    Xeni wrote:
    ccunning wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    ccunning wrote:
    My understanding is that GMU is a public institution and recieves tax payer funding to fund operations. They are *not* a private institution and like any other public building can't restrict firearms to non-employees.
    My question was regarding Colleges/Universities in general. Not just GMU. Neplusultra seemed to contradict you too. Anyone know the definitive answer?
    I don't see any contradiction here. private schools are different than public schools. They can prohibit where public schools cannot. Except VCU, which is specifically mentioned in the Code.

Post imported post

Re-read the quotes. My original question was:

ccunning wrote: [/b]

Your response was
    Neplusultra wrote:
    Which Indicates that it applies to both public and private schools. But now you're saying

Neplusultra wrote:
    I don't see any contradiction here. private schools are different than public schools. They can prohibit where public schools cannot. Except VCU, which is specifically mentioned in the Code.

I just want to know how to find out if a particular college gets public funding or not so I know whether preemption is in effect.

Post imported post

Sorry for the double post. I was getting database errors when I was clicking submit and didn't realize the messages were getting through.

Post imported post

Sorry for the triple post. I was getting database errors when I was clicking submit and didn't realize the messages were getting through.

Post imported post

ccunning wrote:

Your response was
    Neplusultra wrote:
    Which Indicates that it applies to both public and private schools. But now you're saying
    You got me, careless wording on my part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast