• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Campus Police Authority

skispcs

imported post

Here in VA we can open carry.

Public Colleges can restrict the ability of their students according to that Attorney General opinion that we have seen posted around here before.

A non-student should be able to open-carry onto a public college to conduct business.

What is the authority of Campus Police/Security as far as detaining and/or searching your vehicle?

For example if I choose to lock my gun up in the car can they search with reasonable suspicion like Regular Officers?

Can Campus Security detain me or am I allowed to leave?

Thank you

Greg

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Depends on the school would be my general answer. Seems that if they have the authority of a police force (Virginia Tech's Police for example, are an accredited law enforcement agency in the state of Virginia) then they have to follow the rules of a police force. If they are just security guards, then detaining you is false imprisonment.

Just my guesses, I'm not a lawyer...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

skispcs wrote:
For example if I choose to lock my gun up in the car can they search with reasonable suspicion like Regular Officers?
Reasonable suspicion of a crime, if course, but having a gun on campus is not a crime, even if you are a student there.

Neplusultra

imported post

Mike wrote:
skispcs wrote:
Reasonable suspicion of a crime, if course, but having a gun on campus is not a crime, even if you are a student there.
That's right! It's breaking an administrative rule only. I recently OCed at the tech library and later heard through the grapevine that a librarian called the Tech police but they refused to respond knowing that it wasn't illegal.

skispcs

imported post

Thank you for the responses.

I am thinking that if I open carry on campus and Campus Security walks up and gives me a hard time I can politely ask if I am free to go and walk away.

I guess that I do not even need to ask but I want to be polite.

This would be Old Dominion University if it matters.

RedKnightt

imported post

Don't forget your accessories:

Virginia Gun Rights pamphlet (carry 3 or 4, they're small :D)

Voice recorder

Phone number of your lawyer (you probably won't need it, but it is always a good thing to have)

Hope you have a very unevent experience.

Neplusultra

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
Don't forget your accessories:

Virginia Gun Rights pamphlet (carry 3 or 4, they're small :D)

Voice recorder

Phone number of your lawyer (you probably won't need it, but it is always a good thing to have)

Hope you have a very unevent experience.
I would also suggest that you actually read and memorize the pertinent Virginia Code sections. It's always good to be able to quote chapter and verse. Once they know/think you know the law better than them, that will slow them down. Also, remember this is the internet, we could be feeding you a bunch of BS too :^).

Thundar

imported post

skispcs wrote:
This would be Old Dominion University if it matters.
I believe that the ODU campus police are accredited. They are also very anti gun. Be careful and expect trouble from them. Also be aware that Norfolk has a stop and identify city ordnance. Be careful out there.

kenny

imported post

Most Campus Police have sworn authority on nearby property as well as on the campus. They are sworn officers in the jurisdiction the campus is location. I know this to be true at all state supported colleges as well private colleges.

Neplusultra

imported post

ccunning wrote:
I'm guessing this all applies to schools that get state funding correct? Where do you go to find out if that is the case or not?
It goes for all higher education schools due to preemption, except VCU in Richmond which is specifically mentioned in the Code.

Xeni

imported post

I'm planning on going to GMU for a function next Saturday. I am not a student and I intend to open carry.

While I don't think I'll be confronted by campus or local PD, I've informed my wife so she can have bail money ready for me in case I need it. I plan on attending an event that will last over 8 hours on grassroot lobbying of elected officials.

Assuming the meeting holders don't kick me out of course. But, then I can accuse this group of 'civil liberties' crusaders of violating my civil liberties. So, win-win all around.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Xeni wrote:
I'm planning on going to GMU for a function next Saturday. I am not a student and I intend to open carry.

While I don't think I'll be confronted by campus or local PD, I've informed my wife so she can have bail money ready for me in case I need it. I plan on attending an event that will last over 8 hours on grassroot lobbying of elected officials.

Assuming the meeting holders don't kick me out of course. But, then I can accuse this group of 'civil liberties' crusaders of violating my civil liberties. So, win-win all around.
+1

I personally think you will be fine.. especially with all of Andrews hard work there. BTW, Andrew Dysart has recently joined the VCDL BOD. Andrew is former USMC (oo Rahhh) and started the http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum64/ GMU students for Concealed Carry.

Xeni

imported post

ed wrote:
Xeni wrote:

+1

I personally think you will be fine.. especially with all of Andrews hard work there. BTW, Andrew Dysart has recently joined the VCDL BOD. Andrew is former USMC (oo Rahhh) and started the http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum64/ GMU students for Concealed Carry.

I don't. The meeting is being held by the ACLU. I'm pretty sure me being openly armed will 'irk' some people off. :D

Anyone else want to go?? :cool:

Neplusultra

imported post

Xeni wrote:

I'd check it out, I'm "pretty" sure they cannot kick you out for doing something that is legal. When the MMM had their meeting at a public library they could not kick out the OCers who attended. Not sure if that applies in this case but I'd FIND OUT for sure.

ccunning

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
ccunning wrote:
I'm guessing this all applies to schools that get state funding correct? Where do you go to find out if that is the case or not?
It goes for all higher education schools due to preemption, except VCU in Richmond which is specifically mentioned in the Code.
Wouldn't a privately owned "Higher education" school fall under the same laws as any other privately owned businesses and maintain a right to refuse service? I'm just trying to understand the difference. I had always thought they were subject to preemption only if they receive public funding.

Xeni

imported post

ccunning wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
ccunning wrote:
Wouldn't a privately owned "Higher education" school fall under the same laws as any other privately owned businesses and maintain a right to refuse service? I'm just trying to understand the difference. I had always thought they were subject to preemption only if they receive public funding.

My understanding is that GMU is a public institution and recieves tax payer funding to fund operations. They are *not* a private institution and like any other public building can't restrict firearms to non-employees.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Xeni wrote:
ed wrote:
Xeni wrote:

+1

I don't. The meeting is being held by the ACLU. I'm pretty sure me being openly armed will 'irk' some people off. :D

Anyone else want to go?? :cool:
I don't think so either but I doubt more than getting the bums rush will happen.

Remember, your most powerful weapon is the threat of a law suit. They have a whole staff of wild eyed lawyers and a fat budget.
Justice is very much for sale.

Whatever happens, handle it with dignity and you'll be one up on them.
:)
Good Luck!

Neplusultra

imported post

Don't forget to check out what I mentioned before. I mean that I'm pretty sure they cannot exclude you from their meeting because you are carrying. It's a public meeting in a public building. If they are renting the room that may be different but I'm not sure about that either. Not sure who you can ask but someone must know.

If I am right and they try to exclude you read them chapter and verse and mention law suits :^).

ccunning

imported post

Xeni wrote:
ccunning wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
ccunning wrote:

My understanding is that GMU is a public institution and recieves tax payer funding to fund operations.  They are *not* a private institution and like any other public building can't restrict firearms to non-employees.

My question was regarding Colleges/Universities in general. Not just GMU. Neplusultra seemed to contradict you too. Anyone know the definitive answer?