• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can i get a CHL?

humboldtkill

imported post

Greetings from tigard.I found this site the other day(i was curious about oc'ing a sog seal) Anyway what reasons will they turn you down for a permit? I have never been involved,convicted of a violent crime,im not a felon,and im metally stable.Although some years back(over 4 ) i got a misd possesion of marijuana in beaverton and 2 DUII's.I have since completed treatment(3 years ago) and paid off my fines(as of yesterday) and im thinking of trying to get a CHL on or after 11-3-08(when im off bench probation).I tried to buy a new rifle last year thinking,well im not a violent offender,the state police said i could not buy a new fire arm until i was off bench probation.....I visit the GUN BROKER often here in tigard and love them! If im elegable to get a CHL i would take their class.My only concern is do the profile you phsycally when you go to get you finger prints taken? I men i do not look weak,or like a geek,im semi large some say scary looking with a shaved head and big red irish beard.Im 30 years old(yay!) My concern is being next to the new max line is the darn tweakers! They already stolen my alumanim cans! And after the max is up and running i assume there will be more degenerates running around.
I carry my sog seal and tac light in a drop leg rig just to get the mail,but i would rather have My glock 26 closer to me. Sorry for the long post and this will wrap it up,On my own property can i carry a loaded pistol on my hipp? mowing the lawn,checking the mail? And who decides? A young punk depudy at wasco,or or the head sherrif? Thankyou if you read my blabber.

DenWin

imported post

First thing you have to look through is the ORS. The section that pertains to firearms and the CHL is 166. Specifically, 166.291 - 166.295 which is the cream of the crop for the CHL. For you specifically, I'm betting these are the ones that will pertain:

166.291 Issuance of concealed handgun license; application; fees; liability.

(h) Has not been convicted of a misdemeanor or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295, of a misdemeanor within the four years prior to the application

(L) Has not been convicted of an offense involving controlled substances or participated in a court-supervised drug diversion program, except this disability does not operate to exclude a person if:

(A) The person has been convicted only once of violating ORS 475.864 (3) and has not completed a court-supervised drug diversion program under ORS 135.907; or

(B) The person has completed a court-supervised drug diversion program under ORS 135.907 and has not been convicted of violating ORS 475.864 (3)

ORS 475.864 is what relates to marijuana possession, and 135.907 is a diversion for possession of marijuana. If you only have one violation, then you SHOULD be clear to get one there. As far as the DUIIs go, nothing is mentioned in the ORS about it as far as the CHL is concerned. You may want to double check at the Sheriff's department with their CHL unit, but from what I'm reading you're free and clear.

As far as the legalities of openly carrying on your property, I'm not entirely sure. You would have to check with Tigard's ordinances for that one, but it is YOUR PROPERTY. Don't be a test subject for it because of what I've said, but I haven't read any thing in here as far as personal experiences openly carrying on your own property. If they have a law forbidding openly carrying firearms or regarding loaded firearms, that will still apply to with in city limits if they want to push it. I wouldn't except in the comfort of my own home if I didn't have a CHL, but again, check local ordinances. Another good way to check would be to purchase a pistol once your bench probation is up. If you can buy one, then you probably meet the requirements to get a CHL.

Also, good job on staying sober. Being in the US Army, I've seen too many people get DUIIs (DUI, DWI, or what ever else other states call it ;)) and screw up there lives. Stay safe.

humboldtkill

imported post

Thanyou for the support and the time.I know it was a long post.When i first went into treatment i didnt want to be there and thought it was a bunch of BS.After the 6 months classes i am now a preecher to my peers about alcohol and how it is a poison,lol I never though i would be like that but heck,i lost alot and dont want to do it again.I love not being in jail or getting in trouble for over 4 years now.

And THANKYOU for your Service,i Honor all military and vets.

NaT805

Opt-Out Members
imported post

They deny you a CHL for having an oregon state issued medical marijuana license, too.

SetivaSicWood

imported post

Hello Neighbor and welcome to the forum.

As you can already see, this site can provide a wealth of information.

I am not a lawyer (IANL) nor are most of us here; rather were are 2nd Amendment advocates who are more than willing to help our fellow citizens. The info you glean here while detailed still requires you to follow up and make sure you don't run afoul of Federal, state an/or city ordnances.

Your post is riddled with pertinent topics ripe for discussion......

The first thing I would advise you to do is acquire a copy of the book "Understanding Oregon Gun Laws" it's a sponsor of OCDO and you can link to Oregon Firearms Federation (O.F.F.) from this site. Get the book, read it. It will be very helpful in understanding what your basic rights are.

What you look like plays no factor in exercising your right to gun ownership.

Oregon is a "shall issue" state. The factors at play which limits your rights are those pertaining to moral turpitude and/or social dysfunction.

DenWin post is a great place to begin to see if your prior actions prohibit you from acquiring a CHL. I would guess the 4 year criteria might be your first hurdle.

You need to know that Tigard has a loaded handgun ban.

You must have a CHL in order to open carry a loaded firearm.The "loaded" aspect refers to....

a) no round in the breach

b) no rounds in the mag; which also includes a magnot in the gun but rather on your person.

All rounds must be completely separate for the gun and it's parts. Several other cities have similar bans. You can find that info easily on other threads.

Taking your post at face value, it sounds like you've come a long way towards turning your life around. Best of luck on your continued success.

Keep us posted on your progress thru the process.

stevenh512

imported post

NaT805 wrote:
They deny you a CHL for having an oregon state issued medical marijuana license, too.
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I have to comment on this..

They'll issue you a CHL if you have a prior conviction for illegal posession of marijuana, but not if you have a state issued license to use it legally? That seems completely backwards to me. Whether you think using marijuana is ok or not, and regardless of its psychoactive properties, illegal posession shows some degree of disregard for the law.. while having a license shows that you have a legitimate medical reason and at least enough respect for the law to get the license instead of just hoping you don't get caught. Do they also deny you a permit if you have a prescription for vicodin or certain other psychoactive drugs that can be used to treat a legitimate medical condition?

For the record, I am a medical marijuana patient in California and I can honestly say I probably wouldn't be alive today without it (I would have starved to death). I was diagnosed with cancer in 2005 and had to go through chemotherapy. None of the anti-nausea medications the doctor tried to give me were working, I had absolutely no appetite, and if I did force myself to eat something I couldn't hold it down very long. My doctor finally decided his only option was to recommend medical marijuana, which helped more than all of the other anti-nausea meds combined (I ended up gaining 10 pounds in 9 weeks of chemo, while everyone else around me in the hospital was wasting away).

I'm two years in remission, but I do have some lingering side-effects from the chemo. The nausea never completely went away and I am in constant (sometimes extreme) pain thanks to platinum-induced neuropathy. My doctor still recommends medical marijuana to handle these side-effects. I've actually been thinking of moving to Oregon and I know with my medical history and the pain and nausea I still have to deal with every day, I'd have no problem getting a medical marijuana license there either.. but if Oregon has some backwards law that somehow makes legal medical use of marijuana worse than illegal recreational use (at least as far as getting a CHL goes), I think I'll stay here in California where I'll have no problem getting a CCW permit.