• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Election Rally OC Incident (August 30th or so)

Hubby_MC

imported post

As I have said before... I do not defend the actions of officers in the wrong. That being said, it is amazing how often officers are just plain not educated on OC and the whole 2nd Amm thing. I know its not a new incident but I wanted to hear opinions on this .......................

http://timesonline.com/articles/2008...8582222905.txt

By Bill Vidonic, Times Staff
Published: Saturday, August 30, 2008 11:31 PM EDT
INDUSTRY — An Industry man insisted Saturday there’s nothing in the law that prevented him from wearing a loaded handgun to Friday’s presidential election rally in Beaver.

“I have it for protection, to protect my wife and my children,” said John A. Noble, 50. “I never gave it a thought. I wasn’t doing anything illegal,”

Noble, a horse and cattle fence builder, said he was simply standing with others at the rally, a Bible in one hand, and an apple in the other.

But it was the Glock 19 handgun holstered at his side that drew the attention of local and federal law enforcement. State police said just wearing the gun disrupted the event.

Noble said he had a handful of fliers that he wanted to pass out, spelling out gun rights.

Those fliers list Noble’s basic argument, citing a Pennsylvania statute that says a person may “openly carry a handgun in plain sight with no license.” Exceptions include in vehicles, in Philadelphia, and convicted felons.

To carry a concealed handgun, a person must have a state license to carry firearms.

Noble said he didn’t have a ticket to the rally, and he was standing with his wife, Janet, in McIntosh Park. While that area was fenced in, spectators did not have to pass through metal detectors to get into that area, as they did in Irvine Park.

In a news release, state police Trooper Shawn L. Schexnaildre wrote that Noble “breached the secured perimeter of a presidential candidate political rally with a handgun fully loaded, operational, holstered and exposed.”

Bystanders alerted police, and deputy sheriffs, Beaver police, state police and Secret Service agents took him into custody.

“(Noble’s) actions created a clear public alarm and caused a significant breakdown in the security measures at the rally” with officers abandoning their posts “to ensure his quick and safe apprehension and disarming.”

Friday, deputies and state police said that Noble never tried to draw his weapon and did not threaten anyone with it. Noble’s arrest took place more than an hour before Obama and Biden arrived in Beaver.

Noble never did hear Obama, as he was in state police custody until his release, and his firearm, which Noble said he has a permit for, was confiscated.

When questioned as to the wisdom of wearing a firearm to a rally with metal detectors, Secret Service agents, and dozens of local law enforcement, Noble replied, “His (Obama’s) rights do not trump mine.” He added he’s worn the gun in public for several years without incident.

Noble says he has an attorney, but said he’ll wait and see what charges he might face before deciding what course of action he’d take.

In the news release, Schexnaildre described the nature of the incident as disorderly conduct, and wrote that Noble faces misdemeanor grade charges that will be filed by state police; no federal charges have been filed.

Noble said his only previous criminal offense was “a speeding ticket while driving a church bus.”

“If it was that serious of an offense (Friday), I would be in jail,” Noble said.

imported post

I see a nice windfall coming his way.

Hubby, if you look thru the older threads, we had a few OC'ers attend and OC at the Ron Paul event a few months back with no problems.

Hubby_MC

imported post

I think most of the agencies around here (I know there are exceptions) know the score. I would hope we try to educate the folks who should know better!

563 wrote:

Hubby, if you look thru the older threads, we had a few OC'ers attend and OC at the Ron Paul event a few months back with no problems.

BrianEMT

imported post

In a news release, state police Trooper Shawn L. Schexnaildre wrote that Noble “breached the secured perimeter of a presidential candidate political rally with a handgun fully loaded, operational, holstered and exposed.”

That made it sound like he ignored signs, barriers, and armed guards and ran in there with an RPG. Which he clearly did NOT. :banghead:

imported post

Well they are going to get a very expensive education when all is said and done.

Hubby_MC wrote:
I think most of the agencies around here (I know there are exceptions) know the score. I would hope we try to educate the folks who should know better!

563 wrote:

idahomilitia

imported post

This makes me wonder if the right to OC will only be respected when nothing important is happening here. When the Special Olympics take place and people from all over the world come here to Boise, will there be an effort to make certain nobody can carry a firearm openly? I myself plan to not miss this opportunity to display for a world audience just what degree of liberty we enjoy here in Idaho. I wonder if BPD will try to stop me from doing so using the event as an excuse to bypass the law.

deal.gif