• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ANY LUCK ON YOUR LOCAL FRONTS ?

45-ACP

imported post

I was just curious if any 1 has been having any luck advancing OC in your local areas.

I have made 2 trips to the DA'S office , the sheriffs dept ,and the police dept still waiting on some phone calls to be returned from last months trip lol but i keep making calls and visits to the offices.

I have made some head way so far and even hadsome positive results thus far

in the personal conversations , at least everyoneI have sat down with has been polite and very professional.:)

HungSquirrel

imported post

No luck here. My only reply during my letter-writing campaign was from Mobile Police Dept., and it was so vaguely-worded that it managed to neither confirm nor deny that OC is legal. I want to pursue this further with in-person visits to MPD as well as the Mobile County Sherriff's Office, but I have a "normal" 8-to-5 job now and no flexibility to take two hours off during a workday. Perhaps soon...

Of course, I have still been openly carrying a couple times a week, but usually only on trips to Wal-Mart and the like. I've yet to be noticed by a police officer.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I suspect one of the things people are running into is that the powers that be just do not realize the power of the Internet, yet.

They think you have to go to the law library to read what the law actually says. Most cases, that is no longer true.

They think to spread the word you have to go somewhere and tell a dozen people at a time. Not that way anymore.

And a lot of them have not really considered just what Heller means as a practical matter. Heller all but demands both incorporation and O.C. as a basic right. People that read gun boards are getting the message, but the guys enforcing the laws haven't yet. I think when it sinks in, they are going to be confused about what to do, and probably will ask for an AG opinion, as a CYA tactic.

In a lot of states, that AG opinion is going to be a big shock to the system when it happens.

HungSquirrel

imported post

I was OCing at Wal-Mart again this evening when the gentleman behind me in line commented that what I was doing was illegal. I informed him (politely) that it wasn't. He then told me that he had just renewed his permit today and that the clerk at the Sheriff's Office had warned him not to openly carry. I informed him the clerk was mistaken and handed him a copy of the tri-fold, with the token disclaimer that I am not a lawyer and that the police frequently harass OCers in Alabama.

Several Wal-Mart cashiers overheard, and one said loudly, "Good! I hate having to cover mine!" :cool:

What I find most interesting is that months after I sent Sheriff Cochran my letter, his lackeys are still spouting misinformation.

Detour

imported post

Hi.. There is already an AG's opion on this http://www.ago.state.al.us/oldopinions/8400205.pdf

Not sure if you were aware of this or not and its from march 1984 but still hasnt been changed as of yet.

And yes its the cops thats alarming people about ocw by telling them its illegal . I guess they think they are the only ones should have guns.

Besides if you were a cop and you came up on some one whouldnt you rather know that person had a weapon that you could already see or a person with one you cant see..:)

Detour

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
Detour wrote:
Hi.. There is already an AG's opion on this http://www.ago.state.al.us/oldopinions/8400205.pdf
Thanks Detour...we were aware of this AGO...as well as others.

Here http://alabamagunrights.org/?page_id=8 are a few more documents that you and an attorney fight find useful.

Thanks for the info . I had justfound that site the other nightand thanks again.

Hey... Do you or any one elseknow of a really good attorney. I want my permit back as it was taken from me by a local cop not knowing or caring about the ocw laws of alabama and kept my weapon for 3 days (whichI got back) minus 2 bullets. The Sheriffs office saysI cant get my permit back im alarming he public lol. He says hes getting calls. Well if he was getting calls I would Know. How many times do people call the Police Department to complain about seeing a guy with a gun and the cops not show up. I assum if any calls were madeI would have had everyLEO in radio distance all over me and thats never happen yet lol:).Allbut 1 of myencounters have been at gas stations and the officers were already there.

Sorry for the extra responce but im venting :)

Thanks comp-tech

Detour

imported post

HungSquirrel wrote:
Police officers routinely ignore the AG opinion, as well as the several court cases declaring OC to be legal.

Yeh... you are right ive been told by my Sheriffs Office that the AG's opinion is just that and opinion and not the law. But whats so funny about that is in the hand book the Sheriffs Office givesout in my county when you get your permit they have the 13A-11-73 and 13A-11-74 laws listed, which 13A-11-73 I assum is the code that allows ocw.

But the cops here keep trying to use the 13A-11-52 code lol,I say use they try and quote some of it. When ive askhasnt 13A-11-73 repealed or superseded 13A-11-52??I hadone Deputy throw his hands up and sayI dont know what the codes are butI know you cant carry that pistol on another persons property.

Where are they getting this stuff from omg :)

I mean if you have the cops telling all the people you cant do it and then you have a few people that know its legal and do it , wellI can see the alarm. Its the cops

How about them spending a little money on informing the public like they spend on ads to run for office and to get votes, and on signs and billboards.

I guess that wont every happen cause it wont benifit them.

Anyway rrrrrrrrrrrrrrI get so mad we get treated like criminals when we are trying to follow the law and exercise our rights. And to be told my some officers im a cop andthey dont carry open or at all when off duty ( and your point is Mr officer)

YehI know im long winded maybe ill calm down think GodI found this place to let out some steam lol :) Im sorry if im bothering any of you, im new to all this

Thanks for listening

Detour