• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"For teens, illegal guns easy to get on streets", says Seattle PI

DenWin

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
SIGguy229 wrote:
I will use it 10 years after every single LEO uses it....and it is implemented by the U.S. military.
Oh, like Glocks?... Oh, wait, you're a Sig guy.

j/k ;)

Hey now, the US Army uses (unfortunately) the M9 (Beretta 92F), and just about all the other services use (MUCH better choice) the M11 (Sig P-226).

In regards to the techno crap, the last thing I saw on it was a wireless device, like the ring, that wouldn't work if microwaves were in the area as they would block the signal. Have to chase him into the kitchen? What, you're within 15m of that microwave that's running? You're not shooting ANYONE . . . :uhoh:

MetalChris

imported post

DenWin wrote
Hey now, the US Army uses (unfortunately) the M9 (Beretta 92F), and just about all the other services use (MUCH better choice) the M11 (Sig P-226).

In regards to the techno crap, the last thing I saw on it was a wireless device, like the ring, that wouldn't work if microwaves were in the area as they would block the signal. Have to chase him into the kitchen? What, you're within 15m of that microwave that's running? You're not shooting ANYONE . . . :uhoh:
The M-9 is the standard issue sidearm for the Army, Air Force, Marines and Navy...I think the USCG is the only service that uses the Sig.

compmanio365

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
DenWin wrote

The M-9 is the standard issue sidearm for the Army, Air Force, Marines and Navy...I think the USCG is the only service that uses the Sig.
I believe many of the services such as the FBI, Secret Service, etc, are using the Sig 229 as their duty weapon these days. Many PD departments are switching away from the M9 as their duty weapon to either a 1911 or a Sig.....or the Glock 40. But have seen many cops lately with a Sig on their hip.

Bear 45/70

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
DenWin wrote

That's because the Coasties are not actually military butwere part of the Dept. of Transportation andare now part of the Dept. ofHomeland Security, hence the same weapon as the othercivilian enforcement agencies.

Wheelgunner

imported post

Federal law prevents the ATF from publicly sharing specific data about crime guns, including how many of those traced were used by juveniles, where they were bought, or in what specific geographical areas they were used, said Doug Krogh, group supervisor of the Seattle division ATF intelligence group.

Agents also point out that not all traced guns were actually used in crimes, such as rifles lost while hunting.

At the Regional Crime Gun Center, agents determine how suspected criminals got their hands on illegal guns. The Seattle Police Department also has a crime gun analyst, who did not return interview requests for this story, who works with the ATF gun center and looks for patterns in the histories of the firearms used.

This is the money quote. Specific data is unnecessary, but patterns are. How can the electorate, police, city council, or anyone operate in the dark? The BATF has long been judged to be obsolete, but if there is any proof, here it is. Why not publish the data? Perhaps the BATF data shows that traces are ineffectual, that most of the BATF workload "crimes" are inadvertent paperwork crimes and the BATF is unnecessary.

If the CDC or FDA said, "We are going to collect data on Flu virus or AIDS. We will study "at risk" populations and carriers, However we are going to keep the data a secret and are refusing interviews on our findings." there would be outrage!

If the DEA said, "We are going to track where illegal drugs are coming from, who deals them and the amount of the traffic involved but not tell you.", they would be disbanded as incompetent or worse.

My guess is that there is no pattern, or the pattern is so "politically incorrect" (such as a majority Black/Hispanic theft/gun running operation that parallels drug operations) that to release the data would cause outcry.

MetalChris

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
MetalChris wrote:
DenWin wrote

I believe many of the services such as the FBI, Secret Service, etc, are using the Sig 229 as their duty weapon these days. Many PD departments are switching away from the M9 as their duty weapon to either a 1911 or a Sig.....or the Glock 40. But have seen many cops lately with a Sig on their hip.
Oh, gotcha. He must've meant US Military when he said US Army...

Machoduck

imported post

Wheelgunner, if the Secret Police gave away their secrets they would no longer be the Secret Police. They would just be the Kitten Stompers we all know and love.

MD

just_a_car

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Oh, and there's no such thing as a "Glock 40". The only time I hear it referred to like that is when it's some kid talking about his friend's "Glock 40" and then you ask what model and the answer is repeated. Unfortunately, that narrows it down to 4 models of Glock that take the .40S&W cartridge (in order of size): 27, 23, 22, 35.

...can you tell this is a pet-peeve of mine? Kind of like people calling magazines "clips".

David.Car

imported post

Wikipedia ftw:

P226:

At least 30 US police/sheriff departments, Texas Rangers, US Navy Seals, US Coast Guard, US Immigration and Customs, British Armed Forces, multiple Canadian police departments, Canadian Military Police, the Finnish army, Irish Army Rangers, Japanese Special Assault Team, Japan ground and maritime self defense forces, New Zealand army, and at least 9 other countries listed.

P228:

British SAS, Japanese Special Security, US Navy Seals, US National Park Service, US Navy Naval Aviation, US Air Force OSI (my father worked this for 16 years), Delta Force, Federal Bureau of Prisons, numerous other police and federal agencies, including at least 7 other countries.

P229:

British Armed Forces, dozens of us police/sheriff departments, US Postal Inspectors, Federal Reserve Police, US Dept or State, US Secret Service, Coast Guard, Navy, Immigration and Customs, blah blah blah this list stuff is getting too long...

compmanio365

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
Oh, and there's no such thing as a "Glock 40". The only time I hear it referred to like that is when it's some kid talking about his friend's "Glock 40" and then you ask what model and the answer is repeated. Unfortunately, that narrows it down to 4 models of Glock that take the .40S&W cartridge (in order of size): 27, 23, 22, 35.

...can you tell this is a pet-peeve of mine? Kind of like people calling magazines "clips".
OK, a Glock chambered in .40.....either way, a pistol designed to put that .40 caliber slug in your leg or foot. :lol::lol:

jchen012

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
That's because the Coasties are not actually military butwere part of the Dept. of Transportation andare now part of the Dept. ofHomeland Security, hence the same weapon as the othercivilian enforcement agencies.
Hey we are part of the United States military!! :cuss:proud Coastie

Bear 45/70

imported post

jchen012 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Hey we are part of the United States military!! :cuss:proud Coastie

You would be wrong. The Coasties never have been military. They act like it but are actually the water equal of the FBI, aka law enforcement. Look here and see who they work for and it ain't the pentagon.

http://www.uscg.mil/

At the top of the page, the title says "United States Coast Guard" and right under it it says who they belong to and work for, The "US Department of Homeland Security". Last time I checked, the DHS is a civilian agency.

jchen012

imported post

We are under DHS because we have arrest authority as opposed to being under DOD. We are nothing like the FBI. I took an "oath of enlistment" just like the other services and all coastguardsmen are regulated under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.