• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DNR shoot range rules/law?

maybeifulucky

imported post

Hello everyone, long time lurker. 1st time poster. Registered today! Thanx to everyone on this board. Very good info!

I have a question;I went with my wife to Bald Mtn shooting range in Lake Orion. (DNR) We had 3 pistols and a 22 cal rifle with us. I have a CPL, my wife does not. I had one of the pistols holstered (open) and the other two pistols and the rifle in cases.

Everything was fine until we were packing up to leave. I put the two pistols and the rifleback in their cases and re holsteredthe other pistol. The DNR officer came over and told me that I cannot re-holster my pistol because I used it at the range and thatit had to be put into a case to leave. Well I didn't have a extra case.I had to cram it intoa case with another pistol in order to leave.I told him that I have a CPL and he said it didn't matter. He said "range rules" and was quite adamant about it. I complied as I didn't want any trouble.

My question;.......... Is there a law requiring me to case my pistol when leaving a DNR shooting range?

Scooter123

imported post

Whether it a law or not doesn't matter, it's the range rules. You either abide by the rules or you don't use the range. Public or Private, you'll find that shooting ranges have a variety of rules. Some written by lawyers for liability reasons and some written based on range safety and actual past experience. When you use the range, it is implied that you will abide by the rules and if you violate any of those rules you can be thrown out and even barred from the range.

taxwhat

imported post

maybeifulucky wrote:
Hello everyone, long time lurker. 1st time poster. Registered today! Thanx to everyone on this board. Very good info!

I have a question;I went with my wife to Bald Mtn shooting range in Lake Orion. (DNR) We had 3 pistols and a 22 cal rifle with us. I have a CPL, my wife does not. I had one of the pistols holstered (open) and the other two pistols and the rifle in cases.

Everything was fine until we were packing up to leave. I put the two pistols and the rifleback in their cases and re holsteredthe other pistol. The DNR officer came over and told me that I cannot re-holster my pistol because I used it at the range and thatit had to be put into a case to leave. Well I didn't have a extra case.I had to cram it intoa case with another pistol in order to leave.I told him that I have a CPL and he said it didn't matter. He said "range rules" and was quite adamant about it. I complied as I didn't want any trouble.

My question;.......... Is there a law requiring me to case my pistol when leaving a DNR shooting range?
Hi and welcome did you get name ?,you know time date place now call any MSP post or state park get supervisor and ask nice for copy of rules. After that please let us know. Blue line rule do not tell[ first] that you want to complain get info 1st >

maybeifulucky

imported post

I just found it strange that the range officerdidn't hastle me about open carry as long as I didn't shoot the pistol that I had holstered. I was told that once I fire the holsteredpistol it becomes a "range" pistol and must be cased in order to leave.

I know by reading this board that private property owners can set rules on OC or concealed. I was interested in what rules a state run DNR facility can legally impose with regard to OC or CC.

I will stop by the rangeand try to get a copy of the range rules as advised. I do not want in any way make a CPL violation. Goodidea.

One more question: Does anyone know if it is legal to OC or CC on the Pollyanna trail in Oakland county? No informationpostedon the rule signs on the trail.

This board is great!

SQLtables

imported post

maybeifulucky wrote:
I just found it strange that the range officerdidn't hastle me about open carry as long as I didn't shoot the pistol that I had holstered. I was told that once I fire the holsteredpistol it becomes a "range" pistol and must be cased in order to leave.

I know by reading this board that private property owners can set rules on OC or concealed. I was interested in what rules a state run DNR facility can legally impose with regard to OC or CC.

I will stop by the rangeand try to get a copy of the range rules as advised. I do not want in any way make a CPL violation. Goodidea.

One more question: Does anyone know if it is legal to OC or CC on the Pollyanna trail in Oakland county? No informationpostedon the rule signs on the trail.

This board is great!

Well, I don't know anything about the trail, but assuming it's on public land, yes it's legal to OC, even if they did have signs posted, they wouldn't be legal. Even if it's on private property, it would be legal to OC/CC, as long as the owner was OK with it (as in, doesn't ask you to leave).

So, as long as Pollyanna Trail isn't the name of a daycare :p, you should be ok.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I looked through the administrative orders listed at
http://www.state.mi.us/orr/emi/admincode.asp?AdminCode=Single&Admin_Num=29900671&Dpt=NR&RngHigh=

It appears that the range officer was interpreting this rule:

Code:
R  299.673   Use of firearms on designated shooting ranges.
Rule 3. On a designated shooting range, a person shall not:
(a) Possess a loaded firearm, except at established  shooting  stations  on 
the firing line.
(b) Discharge a firearm, except  at  established   shooting   stations   at 
approved targets.
History:  1979 AC.
It appears this would limit how you carry a loaded firearm. This
is not the case, however, because MCL324.504 exempts a CPL holder from the
aforementioned rule. (see below)

MCL324.504 Department of natural resources; rules for protection of lands and property; certain rules prohibited; orders; violation as civil infraction; fine.
The department shall promulgate rules for the protection of the lands and property under its control against wrongful use or occupancy as will ensure the carrying out of the intent of this part to protect the lands and property from depredations and to preserve the lands and property from molestation, spoilation, destruction, or any other improper use or occupancy.
(2) This section does not allow the department to promulgate a rule that applies to commercial fishing except as otherwise provided by law.
(3) The department shall not promulgate or enforce a rule that prohibits an individual who is licensed or exempt from licensure under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435, from carrying a pistol in compliance with that act, whether concealed or otherwise, on property under the control of the department.
(4) The department shall issue orders necessary to implement rules promulgated under this section. These orders shall be effective upon posting.
(5) A person who violates a rule promulgated under this section or an order issued under this section is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be ordered to pay a civil fine of not more than $500.00.

History: 1994, Act 451, Eff. Mar. 30, 1995 ;-- Am. 1996, Act 171, Imd. Eff. Apr. 18, 1996 ;-- Am. 2004, Act 130, Imd. Eff. June 3, 2004
Popular Name: Act 451
Popular Name: NREPA
Admin Rule: R 299.291a et seq. and R 299.921 et seq. of the Michigan Administrative Code.