• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC dinner in or near PWC?

okiephlyer

imported post

I am supposed to be in the vicinity of Manassas on Sept 16, 17 and 18. Interested in meet and greet over some local food with some local OC'ers. Any takers/suggestions for location/etc.? Any time from dinner on the 16th thru dinner on the 18th would work for me.

My job brings me to the area several times a year and Ipartake of the opportunity to excersize the RTC openly while in the area. It would be great to meet some of the locals.

Glock27Bill

imported post

I live in Fairfax County and cannot make it to PW for dinner during the week with our traffic.

If I left right after work, MAYBE I could get there for breakfast.:D

I just wanted to ask you how you transport your firearm, if you don't mind.

Do you travel by air? If so, what has your experience been in taking your gun?

vrwmiller

imported post

I am open for a dinner on those days. It would need to be later in the evening, however. Say 6:30PM or later.

It's been a while since I've been to Glory Days. They've got some great nachos. If there's a concensus on Glory Days, that'd be cool.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:

I have taken mine.. no problem. Just follow the rules of the TSA:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:
  • You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
  • The firearm must be unloaded.
  • The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
  • The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
  • We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
  • You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
  • You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
  • You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
  • You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.
firearm_proper_package.jpg

Photo of a firearm properly packaged. We and other authorities strictly enforce these regulations. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation.
Airlines may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition that you may have in your checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the airline regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.
Also, please note that many other countries have different laws that address transportation and possession of firearms. If you are traveling internationally, please check with the authorities at your destination about their requirements.

LEO 229

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Snipped....

I took a flight this summer and brought my Glock with me.

The gun must be unloaded and the ammo in a mag or container... not loose.

The gun was in a locked hard side container that only I have a key for. The ammo in a pocket of my luggage.

I reported to the ticket agent that I had packed a gun in my luggage. She asked if it was unloaded and in a locked hard side container and gave my an orange card to fill out.

I took the luggage and orange card to a TSA guy nearby and he checked my bag opening my TSA lock and placed the card inside as I walked away.

That was it!! So easy!!

Glock27Bill

imported post

I sorta understand the rules, my apprehension has always been the stories I hear of stolen guns.

Loosing a gun would be bad enough, the thought of whose hands it might be in would concern me greatly.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Flying with a gun is not a big deal provided you comply with the restrictions laid out by the TSA. Every time I fly at least one of my guns goes with me and I have yet to have a problem at any airport or with any airline. Further current regulations prevent your baggage from being tagged in any special way to indicate the presence of a firearm.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I took a flight this summer and brought my Glock with me.

The gun must be unloaded and the ammo in a mag or container... not loose.

The gun was in a locked hard side container that only I have a key for. The ammo in a pocket of my luggage.

I reported to the ticket agent that I had packed a gun in my luggage. She asked if it was unloaded and in a locked hard side container and gave my an orange card to fill out.

I took the luggage and orange card to a TSA guy nearby and he checked my bag opening my TSA lock and placed the card inside as I walked away.

That was it!! So easy!!
Be aware that different airlines set different rules for ammo carry. Some specify original container. Or hard-side box. Or different rules.

Still, it's not usually a big deal. My daughter carried her Kahr through Reagan last time she flew to TX - told the ticket agent it was there, and much like LEO's experience. The agent gave her the card, she informed the TSA guy it was there, end of story.

vrwmiller

imported post

I just noticed that this dinner conflicts with the VCDL meeting in Northern VA. Do we want to relocate dinner closer to the Mason Center in Annandale or move the dinner to another night?

okiephlyer

imported post

I am agreeable to moving the dinner, but am not that familiar with the area. What would you suggest? My trip got shortened so I only have wednesday and thursday for dinner. Had plans for wednesday but they can be changed.

I noticed the conflict Fridaybut didn't know what to do about it at this late date. Response has been slow and only have a very few definites. Can probably PM them with the changes.

nova

imported post

I know I'm going to the VCDL meeting and following dinner on the 18th, but if you end up moving the PWC dinner to another date I'll probably be there as well :)

okiephlyer

imported post

OK OK OK..After sleeping on it, let's move the dinner to Wednesday evening. Same as before but a day earlier. Glory Days,Liberia Rd., @ 7PM. Can I get a roll call of who plans to be there.

Thanks for hangin' with the Okies.

Al

Harper1227

imported post

We have a doctor's appt on the 18 so we likely wouldn't make it on time. If the date changes we can attend.