• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State of Emergency

RedKnightt

imported post

I read this thread http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/15676.html and it made me wonder: Does Virginia have any statutes that restrict firearms during a state of emergency?

I remember Virginia passed a law that says they can't confiscate weapons during such times, but is there anything on the books that alters the normal state of laws concerning firearm carry, transport, sales, etc?

My google-fu has turned up nothing, but it may be buried in some section of the code I haven't looked through.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

This post over at THR just cited the relevant VA statute (§ 44-146.15) in a thread about NC.

Hope that's helpful.

regards,

GR

kenny

imported post

If you were to seek accomadations in a shelter or services at one of the disaster centers those most likely will have restrictions. There are too many "what ifs" to give an accurate answer. A general rule is no weapons allowed.

RedKnightt

imported post

Gentleman Ranker wrote:
This post over at THR just cited the relevant VA statute (§ 44-146.15) in a thread about NC.

Hope that's helpful.

regards,

GR
Good find GR, thanks. I'll post the text here for everyone to read:

§ 44-146.15. Construction of chapter.

Nothing in this chapter is to be construed to:

(1) Limit, modify, or abridge the authority of the Governor to exercise any powers vested in him under other laws of this Commonwealth independent of, or in conjunction with, any provisions of this chapter;

(2) Interfere with dissemination of news or comment on public affairs; but any communications facility or organization, including, but not limited to, radio and television stations, wire services, and newspapers, may be required to transmit or print public service messages furnishing information or instructions in connection with actual or pending disaster;

(3) Empower the Governor, any political subdivision, or any other governmental authority to in any way limit the rights of the people to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by Article I, Section 13 of the Constitution of Virginia or the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States, including the lawful possession, sale, or transfer of firearms except to the extent necessary to ensure public safety in any place or facility designated or used by the Governor, any political subdivision of the Commonwealth or any other governmental entity as an emergency shelter or for the purpose of sheltering persons;

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

nova

imported post

I tell ya the most comforting thing was knowing I had my .38 on my hip during that several day long power outage back in June. Power and phone lines were down so calling 911 would do little good if you even had a dial tone (and no place to charge my cell phone other than in my truck). Plus with all the trees down roads were blocked...meaning even if police did respond it would be a much longer response time I'd assume.

At home during the night it reminded me of that movie "I am Legend"...at home with my doors locked tight and had my 12ga. Mossberg by my side...:uhoh: