• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McCain Website on 2nd Amendment

Orygunner

imported post

Finally got around to checking out the McCain website (http://johnmccain.com) and found, much to my suprise, that the Second Amendment is listed under issues!

Here it is:

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/77636553-6337-4ecd-b170-49e1c07d2fbd.htm

Protecting Second Amendment Rights

John McCain believes that the right of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is a fundamental, individual Constitutional right that we have a sacred duty to protect. We have a responsibility to ensure that criminals who violate the law are prosecuted to the fullest, rather than restricting the rights of law abiding citizens. Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals - criminals who ignore gun control laws anyway.

Gun Manufacturer Liability

John McCain opposes backdoor attempts to restrict Second Amendment rights by holding gun manufacturers liable for crimes committed by third parties using a firearm, and has voted to protect gun manufacturers from such inappropriate liability aimed at bankrupting the entire gun industry.

Assault Weapons

John McCain opposes restrictions on so-called "assault rifles" and voted consistently against such bans. Most recently he opposed an amendment to extend a ban on 19 specific firearms, and others with similar characteristics.

Importation of High Capacity Magazines

John McCain opposes bans on the importation of certain types of ammunition magazines and has voted against such limitations.

Gun Locks

John McCain believes that every firearms owner has a responsibility to learn how to safely use and store the firearm they have chosen, whether for target shooting, hunting, or personal protection. He has supported legislation requiring gun manufacturers to include gun safety devices such as trigger locks in product packaging.

Banning Ammunition

John McCain believes that banning ammunition is just another way to undermine Second Amendment rights. He voted against an amendment that would have banned many of the most commonly used hunting cartridges on the spurious grounds that they were "armor-piercing."

DC Personal Protection

As part of John McCain's defense of Second Amendment rights, he cosponsored legislation to lift a ban on the law abiding citizens of the District of Columbia from exercising their Constitutional right to bear arms.

Criminal Background Checks

John McCain supports instant criminal background checks to help prohibit criminals from buying firearms and has voted to ensure they are conducted thoroughly, efficiently, and without infringing on the rights of law abiding citizens.

Background Checks at Gun Shows

At a time when some were trying to shut down gun shows in the name of fighting crime, John McCain tried to preserve gun shows by standardizing sales procedures. Federal law requires licensed firearm sellers at gun shows to do an instant criminal background check on purchasers while private firearm sellers at gun shows do not have to conduct such a check. John McCain introduced legislation that would require an instant criminal background check for all sales at gun shows and believes that such checks must be conducted quickly to ensure that unnecessary delays do not effectively block transactions.

The Firearm Purchase Waiting Period

John McCain has opposed "waiting periods" for law abiding citizen's purchase of firearms.

The Confiscation of Firearms After an Emergency

John McCain opposes the confiscation of firearms from private citizens, particularly during times of crisis or emergency. He voted in favor of an amendment sponsored by Senator David Vitter prohibiting such confiscation.

Stiffer Penalties for Criminals Who Use a Firearm in the Commission of a Crime

John McCain believes in strict, mandatory penalties for criminals who use a firearm in the commission of a crime or illegally possess a firearm. Enforcing the current laws on the books is the best way to deter crime.

I checked Obama's website:

(crickets chirping)

Except for the old "supporting the rights and traditions of sportsmen" PDF file that you can't even link to anywhere on his website that I can find (http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/issues/additional/Obama_FactSheet_Western_Sportsmen.pdf), there doesn't seem to be anything on his website for that touchy issue. :uhoh:

I'm intending on writing both candidates and see if what they said in their acceptance speeches is really true, that they want to change the way government does things. I want the BATFE's leash yanked HARD and their powers yanked waaay back for starters...

...Orygunner...

frommycolddeadhands

imported post

Once again Obama shows that he's clueless when it comes to the 2nd Amendment. It has nothing to do with the rights of 'sportsmen'. The 2nd Amendment is about the rights of citizens, and has nothing to do with skeet shooting.

rodbender

imported post

Actually,it has to do with the right of defending ourselves against guys like him, and he knows it, he just don't like it.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here's an excerpt from from Project Vote Smart (http://www.votesmart.org/issue_rating_category.php?category=37&go.x=10&go.y=13&can_id=53270&type=category) on McCain's lifetime Gun Issues rating and it's not very impressive:

(Back to top)

2007In 2007 Gun Owners of America gave Senator McCain a rating of F-.
2006Senator McCain supported the interests of the Gun Owners of America 100 percent in 2006.
2005Senator McCain supported the interests of the Gun Owners of America 0 percent in 2005.
2004Based on lifetime voting records on gun issues and the results of a questionnaire sent to all Congressional candidates in 2004, the National Rifle Association assigned Senator McCain a grade of C+ (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F).
2003-2004Senator McCain supported the interests of the Gun Owners of America 0 percent in 2003-2004.
2003Senator McCain supported the interests of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence 14 percent from 1988-2003 (Senate) or 1991-2003 (House).
2003In 2003 Gun Owners of America gave Senator McCain a grade of C-.
2002On the votes that the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence considered to be the most important as of 2002, Senator McCain voted their preferred position 14 percent of the time. These scores are cumulative for each representative's time in their current office. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence considered votes from 1988-2002 in the House and 1991-2002 in the Senate when determining these scores.
2001-2002Based on the results of a questionnaire the Gun Owners of America assigned Senator McCain a grade of C- (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F-).
1999-2000Senator McCain supported the interests of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence 0 percent in 1999-2000.
1999-2000Based on the results of a questionnaire the Gun Owners of America assigned Senator McCain a grade of C- (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F-).
1993-1994Senator McCain supported the interests of the Handgun Control, Inc 0 percent in 1993-1994.
1993-1994Senator McCain supported the interests of the National Rifle Association 100 percent in 1993-1994.
1990-1993On the votes that the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence considered to be the most important in 1990-1993 , Senator McCain voted their preferred position 0 percent of the time.
1987-1999Senator McCain supported the interests of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence 11 percent in 1987-1999.

EDIT: fixed link

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here's Obama's (http://www.votesmart.org/issue_rati...=37&go.x=12&go.y=10&can_id=9490&type=category):

(Back to top)

2007In 2007 Gun Owners of America gave Senator Obama a rating of F.
2006Senator Obama supported the interests of the Gun Owners of America 100 percent in 2006.
2005Senator Obama supported the interests of the Gun Owners of America 0 percent in 2005.
2004Based on lifetime voting records on gun issues and the results of a questionnaire sent to all state legislative candidates in 2004, the National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund assigned Senator Obama a grade of F (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F).
2002Based on lifetime voting records on gun issues and the results of a questionnaire sent to all state legislative candidates in 2002, the National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund assigned Senator Obama a grade of F (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F).
1998Based on a questionnaire and the votes that National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund considered to be the most important in 1998, they have assigned Senator Obama a grade of F (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F-).

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

So, according to GOA, McCain (F-)is worse than Obama (F)for gun rights? :shock:

With McCain, background checks won't be repealed, locks might beshipped with guns, and gunshows could be in danger. On the flipside he claims to oppose assault weapons bans, opposes the D.C. ban, has Palin as a running mate which is very pro-gun, and opposes other gun control measures currently being proposed.

With Obama, concealed carry should be illegal nation wide, gun dealers should only be allowed 5 miles from schools (practically banned everywhere), the D.C. gun ban was a great model for cities across the nation, handguns should be banned, semi-automatics should be banned, people limited to 1 gun per month,guns should be registered, owners should be licensed and more (including everything McCain supports). And Biden isn't much of a friend of gunowners either. What gun control DOESN'T Obama support?

Yeah, McCain is much worse than Obama.

Imagine how bad it would be for gun owners with Obama choosing supreme court justices.

Prophet

imported post

If McCain wants gun locks shipped with guns I don't think its a big deal. My first pistol came with a trigger lock and I just never used it (took too long to take off). I gave it to a buddy of mine because he preferred it locked.

As long as instant background checks are instant and thendestroyed I don't really have a problem with them either.

I don't foresee gun shows being in a whole lotta trouble...most republicans and a good number of mod dems reprsent "gun show country".

If thats the worst of it from McCain I am fine with that...its like fearing a hurricane will destroy your house and you end up ruining your italian suede loafers.

Obama is the hurricane that will blow all our rights out to sea to be swallowed up by the vicious sea of gun grabbing brady campaign supporters. McCain is more like a light rain...it may upset your picnic but it helps keep the grass growing.

rodbender

imported post

Prophet wrote:
If McCain wants gun locks shipped with guns I don't think its a big deal. My first pistol came with a trigger lock and I just never used it (took too long to take off). I gave it to a buddy of mine because he preferred it locked.

As long as instant background checks are instant and thendestroyed I don't really have a problem with them either.

I don't foresee gun shows being in a whole lotta trouble...most republicans and a good number of mod dems reprsent "gun show country".

If thats the worst of it from McCain I am fine with that...its like fearing a hurricane will destroy your house and you end up ruining your italian suede loafers.

Obama is the hurricane that will blow all our rights out to sea to be swallowed up by the vicious sea of gun grabbing brady campaign supporters. McCain is more like a light rain...it may upset your picnic but it helps keep the grass growing.
+1 Well said.

Panos1296

imported post

Endorsing background checks is a way govt gets their foot in the door. It wont (and hasnt) stopped there. To me, ALL gun laws are unconstitutional as the 2A clearly states, "shall not be infringed". Besides, a background check only moves the criminals to the underground market. Ask yourself, "Do the felons already own guns?" It is clear that they do and no legislation will stop that. As long as there is a demand, thereWILL be a supply.

N00blet45

imported post

Assault Weapons

John McCain opposes restrictions on so-called "assault rifles" and voted consistently against such bans. Most recently he opposed an amendment to extend a ban on 19 specific firearms, and others with similar characteristics.
So he is for repealing the Hughes Amendment of the FOPA? I doubt he is for reducing restrictions on true assault rifles (the select-fire rifles, not their civilian clones). If he was I could probably overlook some of his flaws and vote for him.

*Edit* Here's a link to his response. Notice him dodging the question. He mentions that he doesn't know what it is, yea right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su5Ej-QR-MA

KBCraig

imported post

The problem here is that McCain's website is written by people who aim to get McCain elected, and doesn't necessarily bear any resemblance to the truth.

The statements about "assault weapons" seem to be at odds with his voting record and previous public statements, for instance.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't doubt that McCain is for less gun control than Obama, although his voting record is still pretty bad. Voters concerned about RKBA issues will likely sleep easier at night with him in office, and IMO that is a bad thing. We should ALWAYS be on the lookout for potential abuses and usurpation of our rights. We should never assume that because a candidate is a "republican", and that's a stretch with McCain, that they will stand up for the rights of citizens.

DenWin

imported post

I think it doesn't matter if you vote for McCain or Obama, either way things are going to go down hill. The object is who will make it go down the slowest?

The Donkey

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Finally got around to checking out the McCain website (http://johnmccain.com) and found, much to my suprise, that the Second Amendment is listed under issues!

Here it is:

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/77636553-6337-4ecd-b170-49e1c07d2fbd.htm

Banning Ammunition

John McCain believes that banning ammunition is just another way to undermine Second Amendment rights. He voted against an amendment that would have banned many of the most commonly used hunting cartridges on the spurious grounds that they were "armor-piercing."
...Orygunner...
I thought that McCain supported the "Armor Piercing" Ban. See: Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act; Bill S 397 ; vote number 2005-219 on Jul 29, 2005.:question:

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bob Barr, Chuck Baldwin, Ron Paul, either are fine as long as it sends a strong message to the Republicans.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

asforme wrote:
Bob Barr, Chuck Baldwin, Ron Paul, either are fine as long as it sends a strong message to the Republicans.
Is 1/2 of 1% "a strong message to the Republicans" ?

Wish that it were though.

Yata hey

Mack 12ga.

imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
Of course, you could always vote for the person who would best represent your values....

You know, Bob Barr?

Voting for a candidate thatcan'twin will be giving away a very needed vote to keep out the Obomanation, we have to vote for the one we know will get elected! buy voting for Bob Barr who can't win no matter Howe much you wish for it will basically be voting for Oboma.

Please don't throw away your vote, there are only two people that will have a chance to make it into the Oval office and we have to pick the one that will do the least amount of damage to our rites and right now that is McCain.

And Yes I to wish we had better choices to pick from but we don't, so we have to do our best with what we have.:banghead: