• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Citizen & LEO Education

45-ACP

imported post

I know that all of you that OC do your best to educate the general public and law

enforcmentevery time your approached about the legalities of openly carrying a

firearm.Thats great I appalude each and every one of you for your efforts.

I know most if not all of the members of this group have full time jobs and families

your taking care of anddon't have a lot of spare time to make an appointment with

the local officals and sit down with them and discuss what is a legal and god given

right.

On the other hand educating the law enforcment officers that have been called about

AMWG is going to be a tuff roe to hoe.

Idealy the dispatcher is going to ask "whats the man doing"? oh he's shopping , well openly carring a firearm in a holster is legal.

Unfortunatly thats not the case in most of our states. So there lays our problem, in

my state of ALABAMAI have chose not to openly carry whereI live at this point for the simple fact that every LEOI have spoke to and 1 ASSISTANT DA are under the impression that OC is illeagal here, with the exception of one.

I have decided to start with the da's office as there the ones that are going to decide to press charges or not, thenI have gone to the sherriffs offices and the local police dept.

Like I said i know not every one has the time to spend most of a day to do this but I

think it's much better to try and educate the people in charge of the guys that work the street and let the education on the legalties OC come from the top.

I know thatwill not always work ,but if thats the case then you move on to there bosses be it city councile or the county commissioners, if that dosen'tthen we go to the state reps and up from there.

I know there are LEO'S out there that belive that "no one in my town is going to open carry a firearm in my town"thats why we have to go to the top and try to work from there.

I know there have been and will be people excersing there legal rites unlawfully arrested and thats when we have theright to go to court.

Like our founding fathers who fought and gave all they had ,be it the writters of our constution or the ones who fought and died to preserve ,protect ,and defend our rights. We all have tosacrifice to remind every one that we have a legal rite to carry our weapons openly. Thats where we give up some of our precious time .

I hope this post didn't ramble to much but I think I have got my point across.

now for those that are just argumentative /flame on

rodbender

imported post

Not to be argumentative, and I applaud your effort to work from the top down. But you must understand that these people, for the most part, have been brainwashed to think that open carry, legal or not, just ain't gonna happen 'round here. A lot of LEO's,think in the terms of, "He might beat the rap, but he won't beat the ride". Most LEO's, and higher ups,think that most people will be glad just to beat the rap, and let it lie.When they get this attitude, the only thing they understand is when you get in their pocket.

my 2 cents

45-ACP

imported post

I understand your point but how will it hurt to take it thru channles (when possible )and avoid the ride .

I can't belive every LEO has such a chip on his shoulder, that it's not possible to

atleast try.

I just get the impression some of the guys here would just rather just get arrested and go straight to court and hope that donations will help pay for there law suit.or its settled out of court

do not get me wrong i think it's gr8 that some manyare willing to donate to good causes like the marine in cali and many others i have read about here.

But dam some of the posters i have read here seem like they look for a reason to have a confrontation. correct me if im wrong ,and i will be the first to admit it.

IT just seems like some are going out of there way to go around there elbow to scratch there but t

rodbender

imported post

Don't get me wrong, by all means try what you want. I think you may be hitting a brick wall, but go ahead. If it works, great. But just remember, you'll have to go to every jurisdiction you intend to carry in.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I believe in a multi pronged attack. Both techniques have merit. It's the same as OC or CC but carry how it best suits your needs. If someone thrives on or excels at confrontation then by all means... flame on. If one is better suited to non-confrontational educational meetings then have at it. Ultimately I believe it will require both approaches to educate a nation. To each his own, we all do what we can to further the cause with our individual abilities.

Media coverage of OC picnics, civil litigation, meetings with government officials and Law Enforcement, petition drives, letter/e-mail campaigns to representatives and law makers and law abiding citizens OCing in every neighborhood; all of these efforts will be needed to fully recover our impinged rights.

45-ACP I like your approach. Just as I appreciate the efforts of MTN Jack, XD-GEM,Mark Marchiafava and others. It's gonna take all of us.

LEO 229

imported post

If he wants to spend the time to do it and meet with people in charge... so be it. It is not costing him anything but his time.

It is not a bad idea to see where they are getting their info and if it is legal in their opinion... you help identify how. If they agree then perhaps the call takers and officers will all get a note to let them know.

If he is told it is NOT legal... he will hear it from those in charge as to why so he will know what to research next. He will also know that the officersmay start enforcing it and he can avoid OCing until he had produced something else to prove it is not a violation.