• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas Woman Kills Home Intruder With His Own Gun

Dustin

imported post

Oops, False TITLE; You'll see when you read.

BLUE MOUND, Texas — When two gunmen smashed through the glass front door of her suburban Fort Worth home, Kellie Hoehn didn't think twice.

The 34-year-old mother of two grabbed a shotgun that had been pointed at her face early Wednesday, starting a struggle that ended with one intruder killed with his own weapon and another in the hospital.

"I wasn't going to let them get to my babies," she said, recalling the moment when she pushed up the muzzle of the shotgun, pointing it away from her children's rooms.

Although the intruders told her to keep quiet, she screamed for her husband. She told her 12-year-old son, who was awakened by the sound of the shattering glass front door, to get his 5-year-old sister and hide.

"It was like a horror movie," her husband, 32-year-old Keith Hoehn, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "I thought I was a dead man. We're fighting for our lives."

With Kellie Hoehn clinging to the weapon's muzzle, her husband tackled the man who held the shotgun. She knocked the intruder in the head with a jar candle, giving her husband a chance to wrest the shotgun.

By then the tussle had spilled out onto the front lawn. Keith Hoehn shot one of the men who had a pistol, police said. Wounded, that man ran away.

Then the intruder who initially had the shotgun charged Keith Hoehn.

Kellie Hoehn told The Dallas Morning News that she screamed at her husband, "Shoot him, shoot him, shoot him."

Her husband fired the shotgun and the man fell to the ground. Then the shot man lunged a second time.

"Well, I shot him again, and I guess that was it," Keith Hoehn said.

Dakota Scott Benoit, 20, of Richland Hills, was pronounced dead at a hospital. John Garland Pierson, 25, of Haltom City, was in critical condition and in police custody at the hospital.

"I am not happy that someone is dead," Kellie Hoehn said. "But I am glad that my family is alive."

Police said Pierson was shot in the left arm and the bullet pierced his diaphragm and other organs but his condition was improving. He will face charges of burglary of habitation with intent to commit another felony, police said.

Investigators say the couple were just defending their family and probably won't be charged.

tarzan1888

imported post

Dustin wrote:
.....Investigators say the couple were just defending their family and probably won't be charged.

They should be given a Medal.

Tarzan

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Tisk Tisk...they should have simply complied, that way the poor shooting victims wouldn't have been injured and killed. They were obviously just there to steal property, probably because they needed to sell it to feed themselves and their family. They didn't deserve to die for that. :? (end sarcasm)

The husband deserves a shooting badge, the wife a medal. Thankfully they were able to defend themselves with only their hands! Talk about another reason to be armed in your own home.

MetalChris

imported post

Awesome, simply awesome.

It would only be better if the homeowners had been armed with their own weapons, but it's good to read that not all people are helpless little sheep.

Dustin

imported post

DreQo wrote:
The husband deserves a shooting badge, the wife a medal. Thankfully they were able to defend themselves with only their hands! Talk about another reason to be armed in your own home.

Very True, a story like this, where a citizen turns a criminals gun on the criminal,

is VERY RARE indeed.

Then again, more than likely they had guns in the house, but they werent wearing one while in the house. Not like they had the chance to say,"wait, I'll be right back.

I can't imagine living where I would have to OC in my own house to be safe :(

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Dustin wrote:
To assume that you don't is a dangerous gamble. I don't think I need to be armed to be safe in my house, but I keep her near by (read: arms reach) anyway. Complacency kills.

tarzan1888

imported post

Dustin wrote:
DreQo wrote:

Very True, a story like this, where a citizen turns a criminals gun on the criminal,

is VERY RARE indeed.

Then again, more than likely they had guns in the house, but they werent wearing one while in the house. Not like they had the chance to say,"wait, I'll be right back.

I agree....

The husband needs to give his wife a dozen roses.

Tarzan

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Or better yet in DC, excusue me for a moment while I assemble my gun
so I can then legaly respond to your attack.

Don't you just hate news reports that don't give info on type of arms/ammo.
Was it a 12 or 20 guage, birdshot or slugs, pump or breach.
Self defense people need to know what works best in a situation, and
we can't get real world info. Shallow or deep penetration of shots.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Or better yet in DC, excusue me for a moment while I assemble my gun
so I can then legaly respond to your attack.

Don't you just hate news reports that don't give info on type of arms/ammo.
Was it a 12 or 20 guage, birdshot or slugs, pump or breach.
Self defense people need to know what works best in a situation, and
we can't get real world info. Shallow or deep penetration of shots.

I'd put money down that it was a 12 gauge with 00 Buck.
Police said Pierson was shot in the left arm and the bullet pierced his diaphragm and other organs but his condition was improving.
One shot hit the arm, diaphragm, and other organs, yet he was able to run away. Bird shot would have hurt like crap, but I doubt it would have penetrated that deep. A slug wouldn't have had that much spread, and lord knows I wouldn't be running after a slug hit to the diaphragm. Even though the reporter said "bullet", I'm assuming that was standard idiot-reporting, since shotguns don't shoot bullets.

Dustin

imported post

DreQo wrote:
To assume that you don't is a dangerous gamble. I don't think I need to be armed to be safe in my house, but I keep her near by (read: arms reach) anyway. Complacency kills.
Oh I keep one arms distance away no doubt.

But I don't carry inside my home.

I live out in the country with a few acres grass and plenty of woods surrounding my house. Someone whould have to wear a guille suit and crawl to my house for me not to notice. And that's if the dogs don't see the BG either.

architect

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Police said Pierson ... will face charges of burglary of habitation with intent to commit another felony, police said.
Why isn't he being charged with 1st degree murder? After all, he did intentionally, and with malice aforethought, initiate an action that led to the death of his accomplice.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

architect wrote:
Dustin wrote:
Police said Pierson ... will face charges of burglary of habitation with intent to commit another felony, police said.
Why isn't he being charged with 1st degree murder? After all, he did intentionally, and with malice aforethought, initiate an action that led to the death of his accomplice.
Not to mention 2nd degree assault for threatening someone with a deadly weapon (read: pointing gun), and/or attempted murder.

Armed

imported post

Excellent! More good news from the homefront! Just hope they can also explain this to their children in such a manner that they are okay with it, and get over the trauma of it all.

KBCraig

imported post

architect wrote:
Dustin wrote:
Texas doesn't have a "felony murder" statute.

More's the pity.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
architect wrote:
Dustin wrote:
Texas doesn't have a "felony murder" statute.

More's the pity.
Texas does, but you should be aware that some states (I'm not sure into which category Texas falls) do not apply the felony murder ruel if the deceaded was a co-perpetrator.