• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need law citing help

Gunslinger

imported post

Nowhere. Just the opposite in the PDR of Kalifornia, in fact, and they are always the worst case scenario--or that a-hole Daley's Sickcago. A holster with a gun in it openly carried is not concealed. IWB holsters could be another story, of course.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Mississippi has a long line of cases holding that any form of partial cocncealment makes a weapon concealed within the meaning of Mississippi's concealed weapon statute, now Miss. Code § 97-37-1. E.g., Martin v. State, 93 Miss. 764, 47 So. 426 (1908); Powell v. State, 184 So.2d 866 (Miss. 1966), cert. denied, 87 S.Ct. 88, 385 U.S. 845, 17 L.Ed.2d 77 (1966); Reed v. State, 199 So.2d 803 (Miss. 1967), appeal dismissed, cert. denied, 88 S.Ct. 1113, 390 U.S. 413, 19 L.Ed.2d 1273 (1968).

Decoligny

imported post

If I recall correctly I saw a post where it was said there was a Mississippi judge that was asked about a belt clip being used to open carry as there was no holster to conceal the gun. I believehis reply was "Well, it's still concealed cause we can't see the other side of the gun." :banghead:

Seif5034

imported post

yeah, I think that post was about the "holster" that holds the gun to your hip utilizing magnets.

Gunslinger

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
Mississippi has a long line of cases holding that any form of partial cocncealment makes a weapon concealed within the meaning of Mississippi's concealed weapon statute, now Miss. Code § 97-37-1. E.g., Martin v. State, 93 Miss. 764, 47 So. 426 (1908); Powell v. State, 184 So.2d 866 (Miss. 1966), cert. denied, 87 S.Ct. 88, 385 U.S. 845, 17 L.Ed.2d 77 (1966); Reed v. State, 199 So.2d 803 (Miss. 1967), appeal dismissed, cert. denied, 88 S.Ct. 1113, 390 U.S. 413, 19 L.Ed.2d 1273 (1968).

MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972
As Amended
redline.gif

SEC. 97-37-1. Deadly weapons; carrying while concealed; use or attempt to use; penalties.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in Section 45-9-101, any person who carries, concealed in whole or in part, any bowie knife, dirk knife, butcher knife, switchblade knife, metallic knuckles, blackjack, slingshot, pistol, revolver, or any rifle with a barrel of less than sixteen (16) inches in length, or any shotgun with a barrel of less than eighteen (18) inches in length, machine gun or any fully automatic firearm or deadly weapon, or any muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not it is accompanied by a firearm, or uses or attempts to use against another person any imitation firearm, shall upon conviction be punished as follows:

I find it hard to believe that a clearly visible holster--not covered by clothing in any way, falls under this determination. However, I haven't looked at the case law specifically. Still, MS is MS...:uhoh:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
I find it hard to believe that a clearly visible holster--not covered by clothing in any way, falls under this determination. However, I haven't looked at the case law specifically. Still, MS is MS...:uhoh:
In one of the opinions (I can find it later) the Chief Justice concurred noting that he felt that even a handgun dangling by a string from one's neck would be partly concealed.

Look, as a legal matter, I don't think a holster "partly conceals" a handgun even in Mississippi, but to be safe, given that opinion, we code MS green on the map and recommend folks make sure they have a conceal permit before open carrying in MS.

Seif5034

imported post

Mike wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
In one of the opinions (I can find it later) the Chief Justice concurred noting that he felt that even a handgun dangling by a string from one's neck would be partly concealed.

Look, as a legal matter, I don't think a holster "partly conceals" a handgun even in Mississippi, but to be safe, given that opinion, we code MS green on the map and recommend folks make sure they have a conceal permit before open carrying in MS.

I really wish they'd reverse that. I'll be turning 18 this Feb, then moving to Mississippi in the fall...I'll have that short time to OC then have my right stripped from me

:cuss:

ETA: If anything happens to me in the time period when I was unable to carry due to being in between 18 & 21 I'm gonna be an angry camper

Gunslinger

imported post

Mike wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Even Kalifornicate has more sense.