• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

suppressors in va

30 cal slut

imported post

non-resident coming into VAtonight for a class this weekend.

bringing asuppressor with me.

don't need an ATF form 5320.20 for the can ... but i am wondering if it's kewl under VA law.

thanks!

slut

30 cal slut

imported post

i figured, but doesn't hurt 2x checking.

thanks for the response!

-slut

LdoMaj_Ammo

imported post

Check fire... is that a suppressor or a silencer? Usually a can refers to a silencer.

I'll have to defer to the duty experts...

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

LEO 229

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
If you're traveling interstate, you better have an approved ATF form 5320.20 with you.
OP claims one is not needed......

Interesting....

I hope an ATF exemption form is carried... :cool:

doug23838

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
If you're traveling interstate, you better have an approved ATF form 5320.20 with you.

I thought the 5320.20 applied to machine guns, short barreled rifles & shotguns and DD's. I just went to the ATF web site and read the instructions on the form and it doesn't mention suppressors at all. It specifically calls out firearms.

Thus leading me to believe you don't need that form to move your suppressor interstate. As always, IANAL.

doug23838

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
That's not what the instructions on the form say. They specifically call out firearms and don't mention suppressors.

LEO 229

imported post

This is a real nice site I found..... you should still verify the information for yourself but it is a nice quick reference guide.

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/

Registrants do not have to obtain permission from ATF to move a silencer or "any other weapon" interstate. However, if a registrant's address for these types of firearms changes after registration with ATF, please notify the NFA Branch in writing of the new address, so the NFRTR can reflect the registrant's correct address.

paramedic70002

imported post

LdoMaj_Ammo wrote
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
Am I alone in being somewhat confused by the wording highlighted in orange? Seems a little like circular logic. Are they saying that carrying a gun is an offense, and having a can attached is a separate offense?

LEO 229

imported post

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry

a loaded

• (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle
  • or pistol
that expels

• single
  • or multiple projectiles
by action of an explosion of a combustible material

and

[Strange wording here as the "carry" is not an offense unless these conditions apply.]
is equipped at the time of the offense with

• a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition
  • or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer
  • or equipped with a folding stock
  • or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered
[If the above conditions were omitted... the carry of any weapons except a .22 rifle would be in violation of this law.]

on or about his person

on any

• public street,
  • road, alley,
  • sidewalk,
  • public right-of-way,
  • or in any public park
  • or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public
in the Cities of

• Alexandria,
  • Chesapeake,
  • Fairfax,
  • Falls Church,
  • Newport News,
  • Norfolk, Richmond,
  • or Virginia Beach
or in the Counties of

• Arlington,
  • Fairfax,
  • Henrico,
  • Loudoun,
  • or Prince William.
The provisions of this section shall not apply to

• law-enforcement officers,
  • licensed security guards,
  • military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties,
  • or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit
  • or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting
  • or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest.
Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

30 cal slut

imported post

thanks for all the replies, folks.

yes, I have a valid non-resident Virginia CHP.

ordinarily, i try to take the time in to mail and/or fax the form 5320.20 even if traveling with just a can (it isn't required but as noted ATFE approves forms for cans). i just didn't have the time to do it this time around.

i love virginia. :shock::celebrate:shock: