• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man Arrested Near Capitol After IED, Rifle, Ammunition Allegedly Found in Jeep

Orygunner

imported post

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,417581,00.html
Man Arrested Near Capitol After IED, Rifle, Ammunition Allegedly Found in Jeep
Friday, September 05, 2008[/b]

WASHINGTON, D.C.— A man is under arrest in Washington after an improvised explosive device, a rifle and some ammunition were allegedly found in his jeep, Capitol Police said Friday.[/b]

The man stopped to ask police for directions near the Capitol building at about 11 a.m. EDT Friday, at the intersection of 2nd and Independence Avenue Southeast, according to Capitol Police spokeswoman [size=2 _extended="true" itxtvisited="1"]Sgt. Kimberly Schneider.

The officer responding noticed a rifle case on the car seat and inspected the jeep, discovering the IED, rifle and ammunition. A canine unit was enlisted to help.

"They've all been rendered safe right now because they're in the custody of Capitol Police," Schneider told reporters at a briefing Friday.

The officer took the unidentified man into custody; the vehicle is still being searched.

Library of Congress employees near where the jeep was stopped have been evacuated, and several roads have been closed while police continue their investigation.

Schneider said that it wasn't clear what the man intended to do with the cache of weapons.

The IED is on its way to the FBI facility in Quantico, Va., for analysis.
[/b]
My first thought is that this is really some Law-Abiding citizen who was simply transporting his rifle, and that the IED is really something benign, like a flux capacitor or some other electronic thing that just looked "suspicious" We'll see when details emerge (if they let us have them).

...Orygunner...

Orygunner

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Overflowing with irony.
They've all been rendered safe right now because they're in the custody of Capitol Police,

"Because I'm a Capitol Police Officer, I am the only one professional enough, that I know of, to handle this 'cache' of weapons... I am the" ***BOOM*** :uhoh:

...Orygunner...

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Uh... You might wanna examine that 'IED' in place... like bring Mohammad to the mountain as it were... rather then potentially hazard any and all in the vincinity of whatever it is on the trip to Quantico. But... the Capitol Police (Bwaha) are on this like white on rice.

'Prob'ly a paperweight grenade. (BLUE/BROWN INERT... YELLOW GO BOOM)

Ohhh... a RIFLE CASE.... Ohhhh... Run away... HIDE!

..."cache of weapons". WHAT? :what:The people who write this stuff should soak their socks in kerosene so the ants won't crawl up their legs 'neat their candy asses.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

A rifle and ammunition = a cache of weapons? :shock:

Think that I'd better go lock the doors on my armory!

Of course, we are all here aware of the District's gun laws to some degree.
Presuming that the "IED" turns out to be something innocent and the man was "traveling through," I'm not so sure he broke any of those laws. Was the rifle in a locked case? There are so many details that we do not know.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
snip
..."cache of weapons". WHAT? :what:The people who write this stuff should soak their socks in kerosene so the ants won't crawl up their legs 'neat their candy asses.
:celebrate I'm going to record that for posterity! Never heard it before. :celebrate

Yata hey

rodbender

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
snip
:celebrate I'm going to record that for posterity! Never heard it before. :celebrate

Yata hey
Itis kinda cute,ain't it.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
snip

Yata hey
Sonora Rebel just has to be a country boy......when I was a kid, we used to put kerosene on our socks to keep "redbugs" (chiggers) at bay when we would walk the 1/4 mile or so through the "woods" to fish the creek....we didn't actually "soak" them though....
I do like the "candy ass" part.....just fits too well

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

New updated information -

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=8961123

Associated Press - September 5, 2008 5:55 PM ET
WASHINGTON (AP) - Police have arrested a Virginia man after they found a grenade and several weapons in his car several blocks from the U.S. Capitol building in Washington.
Capitol Police spokeswoman Kimberly Schneider says Christopher Shelton Timmons was charged with carrying a deadly weapon and possessing unregistered firearms and ammunition.
The 27-year-old Orange, Virginia, resident was detained Friday after he stopped to ask a police officer for directions and the officer saw a rifle case in Timmons' Jeep Cherokee.
Among the items found in the search were a live grenade, a rifle and pistol, magazines and ammunition.
Police closed nearby streets for several hours. The incident occurred near the Library of Congress southeast of the Capitol.

Yata hey
edited to correct link - still won't show as clickable - don't know why - copy & paste

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
Sonora Rebel just has to be a country boy......when I was a kid, we used to put kerosene on our socks to keep "redbugs" (chiggers) at bay when we would walk the 1/4 mile or so through the "woods" to fish the creek....we didn't actually "soak" them though....
I do like the "candy ass" part.....just fits too well
Yep... I are. Done the same... for the same. :)

Orygunner

imported post

Interesting, Fox news still hasn't updated their page on the incident.

Still, depending on circumstances, I'm still willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Although, a grenade isn't exactly an IED, so I'm still feeling like information is being left out on purpose...

I was hoping there was just a regular Joe with a rifle & white gas camp stove, headin' out of state to do some hunting & camping. Happens to pass through DC, and stops for directions.

Good Ol Boy: "'Scuse me, officer, can you tell me how to get to..."
Officer: (peering in the back) "Hey, is that a Rifle case in the back there?"
G.O.B: "Yup, I'm goin hunting at my cousin's in-"
Officer (backing up, hand on pistol): "What's that red bottleconnected to that metal thingie?"
G.O.B.: "Oh, that's full of white gas, for the cam-"
Officer (drawing gun): FREEZE! Keep your hands where I can see 'em!"

Officer (Into radio): "I've got a guy with a gun, and some sort of gas-filled Explosive Device!"
Dispatch: "An Explosive device? Like an improvised one?"
Officer: "Yeah! Exactly! Send Backup, and the FBI, NOW!"

And it all went downhill from there...

At this point I haven't really seen anything to show the guy did anything wrong, just illegal by DC's oppressive standards. I mean, seriously, what guy meaning to do harm of some sort is going to APPROACH A POLICE OFFICER for any reason (unless he's nuts, very cocky, or both).

...YES I think we should be able to own hand grenades...
...Orygunner...

rodbender

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Interesting, Fox news still hasn't updated their page on the incident.

Still, depending on circumstances, I'm still willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Although, a grenade isn't exactly an IED, so I'm still feeling like information is being left out on purpose...

I was hoping there was just a regular Joe with a rifle & white gas camp stove, headin' out of state to do some hunting & camping. Happens to pass through DC, and stops for directions.

Good Ol Boy: "'Scuse me, officer, can you tell me how to get to..."
Officer: (peering in the back) "Hey, is that a Rifle case in the back there?"
G.O.B: "Yup, I'm goin hunting at my cousin's in-"
Officer (backing up, hand on pistol): "What's that red bottleconnected to that metal thingie?"
G.O.B.: "Oh, that's full of white gas, for the cam-"
Officer (drawing gun): FREEZE! Keep your hands where I can see 'em!"

Officer (Into radio): "I've got a guy with a gun, and some sort of gas-filled Explosive Device!"
Dispatch: "An Explosive device? Like an improvised one?"
Officer: "Yeah! Exactly! Send Backup, and the FBI, NOW!"

And it all went downhill from there...

At this point I haven't really seen anything to show the guy did anything wrong, just illegal by DC's oppressive standards. I mean, seriously, what guy meaning to do harm of some sort is going to APPROACH A POLICE OFFICER for any reason (unless he's nuts, very cocky, or both).

...YES I think we should be able to own hand grenades...
...Orygunner...
+1 It was probably a cigarette lighter grenade. Live fuel was in it. And a flint. Ready to light. "BLOCK OFF THE AREA, QUICK!!!!"

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

rodbender wrote:
+1 It was probably a cigarette lighter grenade. Live fuel was in it. And a flint. Ready to light. "BLOCK OFF THE AREA, QUICK!!!!"
Hope so but I'm going to wait for more definitive information before I jump on this wagon.

IMHO - Speculation/guessing and otherwise hypothesizing have a way of making us look foolish when circumstances do not bear out that for which we wished to be the case.

Yata hey

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't think you fellows know just how bad it is down there on crapital hill. Gentlemen, I'm sorry if I give in to the thought that this particular citizen was a nutcase. This place attracts them. And there are plenty of them. Just 6 wks ago they nabbed another citizen hiking up the mall with a shotgun. There was also the Tractor man. There is always something going on that impedes any kind of progress. From Mutha Sheehan's traveling circusto Anna Nicole or Code Pink, to Cap Police setting fires in the trash cans in the senate office buildings. It's really a wonder that any kind of work gets done there (when they are back from vacation that is). The smallest incident in that 4 sq block area has helos with rappellers, mobile command centers, fire and rescue, and more glocks and m16s than austria and iraq. They put on a beautiful show.

Every morning and afternoon our city metro bus must stop at checkpoints on either end from the LOC to the capital for the cap police to ask the driver in code "is everything ok?". Hell, in the last two years, what started out as a thumbs up signal by the bus driver to the cop to just cruise through the traffic light has become simply a 'random finger'. But when they're testy, the cap police will raise the barricades hydraulically embedded in the street and make you go completely around. The poor folks in the surrounding neighborhoods have to accept the diverted 'suspicious truck' until it can be cleared. I'm sure they feel pretty safe. But there sure is a lot of security for a group of folks that don't mind us like we elected 'em too.

Two days ago, just a block and a half away in Union Station a body was found on the tracks. My commuter train came through those tracks after 6 AM. That body was dumped there afterwards, from the overpass, between 6 and 8 AM when they found it. Broad daylight. No information - not even from the illegal alien construction workers raising an office building overlooking the overpass and tracks. Any security for us ordinary folks?

I know this descended into a deep rant on the lovely honeymoon spot that is our nations capitol, but just to get it back todefensive carryrelated:

The poor folks who live there. Just now getting back their 'permission' to have a means of defense in their own homes. They deserve it and more. And so do the shopkeeps who are not covered by the new regulations, or any of the citizens while they are out of their homes. Or the visitors, tourists and commuters.

Between the nutcases and the commandos, us unarmed citizens can only duck.

Hurry up Sarah. A serious housecleanin' is needed. :?

Orygunner

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Overflowing with irony.
They've all been rendered safe right now because they're in the custody of Capitol Police,
Where is the irony?:uhoh:

That statement in the original article asserts that because the Capitol Police have them, it somehow makes them "safe." That somehow, JUST BECAUSE the police now have them, it eliminates all risk. This is, of course, not true, making the statement Ironic[suP]TM[/suP].

Like these gun was rendered safe just because they werein the hands of a police officer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhIJOVD8hwY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiRwyVIsdJg

Or that this dirtbike was safe because it's in the custody of police:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gytu8mOomGo

Or that this IED was rendered safe because it's in the custody (almost) of Iraqi Police:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXHuC5Ep7ww

In other words, just because the police have it does NOTautomatically render anything safe.

I hope I have adequately explained the irony. Join us nextweek at this same timefor Irony Theater.

...Orygunner...

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,

DocV

imported post

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Capitol Police arrested a man Friday after an officer spotted a rifle in his car when he stopped the officer to ask for directions two blocks from the Capitol building.

Police inspect the suspect's vehicle in Washington on Friday.

Christopher Shelton Timmons, 27, has been charged with carrying a deadly weapon, having an unregistered firearm and having unregistered ammunition, Capitol Police spokeswoman Sgt. Kimberly Schneider said.

In addition to the rifle -- an AK-47 -- police found a grenade, a pistol, ammunition, loaded magazines "and several other items of concern to the police" in the Jeep Cherokee he was driving.

Authorities said Timmons was convicted of carrying a concealed weapon in March in Albemarle County, Virginia, and served a month in jail. In that incident, Timmons had two grenades in his car, said Albemarle Police Chief John Miller.

The pins had been removed and the grenades were filled with powder, authorities said. They had an adhesive on top to close them and a firecracker for a fuse.

Law enforcement sources said the grenades were similar to an item found in Timmons vehicle Friday. That device has been taken to the FBI facility in Quantico, Virginia.

Members of the joint terrorism task force are involved in the investigation, sources said, but so far no one is suggesting Timmons was planning an attack of some kind

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/09/05/capitol.armed.man/index.html