• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New To Website / OC - Some Questions

tlkennedy5

imported post

I am 18 and I have grown up around guns. The vast majority of my family own multiple guns, attend gun shows, etc. It was only natural that I took a trip to shooter's supply here in Louisville (where I live) on my 18th birthday and bought a Stag Arms AR15. While I love shooting it, I have always liked taking pistols to the range and friends farms, etc. Until recently, I had never really known about open carry. I always assumed that when I turned 21, I would go get my permit for concealed carry and that would be that. Having since discovered open carry, am I right in my understanding that I can open carry at 18? Furthermore, I know that I can't go down to the gun store and buy a pistol myself, but if my dad buys a pistol and gives it to me, does that then make it mine and can I then openly carry it? It's not something that I would plan on doing often but I would like to have the option of doing so. I would appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks.

tito887

imported post

correct me if I'm wrong but If you explicitly ask someone to buy a gun which is really going to be for you it's a straw purchase. Not that I know how the government could prove that, but I wouldn't be openly asking that question on the internet. You can recieve a pistol as a gift from your parents or buy it from another adult. You just can't buy it from an FFL. It's a dumb law. Makes no sense. You alraedy own an AR-15. What difference doesit make if it's a pistol. Welcome to the forums. :lol:

N00blet45

imported post

From what I remember it is only a straw purchase if you pay someone to buy a firearm for you that you would be ineligible to purchase. So if you paid your father to buy a pistol from a FFL you would technically be breaking the law. However if your father gave the pistol to you as a Christmas present it would be legal (assuming you aren't ineligible to possess a firearm) since you did not pay him for the weapon.

I believe it is perfectly legal for you to buy a pistol from a non-FFL in a private transaction, such as during a gun show. It is also legal for you to open carry at the age of 18. However if you look younger than 21 be prepared to get a lot of attention.

It is kind of crazy that you can legally buy a long rifle which has more firepower and magazine capacity than a pistol that you can't legally buy.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Yes you may carry a handgun openly at 18 years of age.

You can buy from a private source, but not a dealer unless it is a long gun.

An adult may correctly and legally purchase a hand gun for him/her self and sign papers stating so, then decide to give it to you as a gift. Legal.

tlkennedy5

imported post

What papers / documentation / procedures (if any) would need to take place for the handgun to be legally transferred to my posession from my parents?