• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 owners how many mags are enough

Nosrac

imported post

I somehow have ended up with quite a collection mags. I have 9 eight rounders and 1 ten rounder. Do I need or want that many? I just use the same 3 over and over at the range. I may want to thin these out a bit but maybe I should hang on to them? I only have 4 for my XD and that seems sufficient.

esstac

imported post

My opinion, you can never have to many. I have over 20 for my G17 and close to 80 mags for 2 Ar15's. I do not use them all, some are put away for a rainy day or to replace my main ones if needed.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Mags wear our, spring go bad and if there is ever a SHTF situation, where are you gonna buy new mags? I still have brand new mags sitting on the shelffor all our semi-auto handguns. I even have a box of new 30 round mags for both my AK copies and my SKS.

Brian D.

imported post

Atcompetitions or training classes, the two best venues for building and retaining one's shooting skills/tactics, there is virtually no such thing as having too many magazines. That is especially true at shooting schools, wheremore time spent re-stoking magazines means less time pulling the trigger.

Prophet

imported post

Depends on how many zombies you need to kill when they rush you before you have to start reloading. I guess in that case it also depends on how many bullets.

Gunslinger

imported post

4 for my full size SIG GSR, 2 for the C3 GSR--Commander slide/Officer's frame. The full size fit the smaller pistol, as well. And 3 for my Hi-Power. To me, that's plenty--8 in the full size, 7 in the Officer's length and 13 in the HP's provide plenty of firepower.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Prophet wrote:
Depends on how many zombies you need to kill when they rush you before you have to start reloading. I guess in that case it also depends on how many bullets.
You obviously have never been in combat to make this statement.
rolleyes.gif

Statesman

imported post

Nosrac wrote:
I somehow have ended up with quite a collection mags. I have 9 eight rounders and 1 ten rounder. Do I need or want that many? I just use the same 3 over and over at the range. I may want to thin these out a bit but maybe I should hang on to them? I only have 4 for my XD and that seems sufficient.
The question is, for what application do I need X number of mags? It depends on the application. For a firing range, it would seem prudent you would only need 4, as you state in your case.

If all you ever plan to do is shoot at the gun range, then you only need 4 working mags. What if you have a state of emergency in your state, like in New Orleans? Will 4 mags suit your needs for self defense from looters, murderers, and rapists? What if Russian/Chinese Storm Troopers invade America? Alien invasion? :celebrate

Each person has different needs, perceived or actual.

I think posts here speaking to worn out or broken mags are sufficient enough to retain a large number.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I don't really know. Maybe 8-10for the 1911... 2 of em are 18 rounds... 2 are 13 rounds or somethin'. 'Was lookin' at a 40 round drum yesterday at a gun show. My 1911 can accept a shoulder stock... and 'have the 16" barrel.

Prophet

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Prophet wrote:
Depends on how many zombies you need to kill when they rush you before you have to start reloading.  I guess in that case it also depends on how many bullets.
rolleyes.gif

First off, you shouldn't make assumptions. Secondly, i thought it rather obvious that I was making a joke...you know...the fact that i was talking about zombies. Thirdly, I'm not sure how my reference to the walking undead equates to my combat experience.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Prophet wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Prophet wrote:
rolleyes.gif

First off, you shouldn't make assumptions. Secondly, i thought it rather obvious that I was making a joke...you know...the fact that i was talking about zombies. Thirdly, I'm not sure how my reference to the walking undead equates to my combat experience.
You want to joke on the internet, you need to learn to use the emoticons. It's a real bitch deciphering your tone of voicefrom the printed word.
rolleyes.gif

Prophet

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Prophet wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Prophet wrote:
Depends on how many zombies you need to kill when they rush you before you have to start reloading.  I guess in that case it also depends on how many bullets.
rolleyes.gif

You want to joke on the internet,  you need to learn to use the emoticons.  It's a real bitch deciphering your tone of voice from the printed word.
rolleyes.gif

Who are you...the internet police? Im talking about ZOMBIES...the walking UN-DEAD. If that doesn't clue you into the fact I was joking either you believe zombies exist (in which case i suggest Max Brooks book on how to survive a zombie attack) or you really need to find a sense of humor. :celebrate

Brian D.

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
I don't really know. Maybe 8-10for the 1911... 2 of em are 18 rounds... 2 are 13 rounds or somethin'. 'Was lookin' at a 40 round drum yesterday at a gun show. My 1911 can accept a shoulder stock... and 'have the 16" barrel.
I'm not going to say that there is no such thing as a functional 40 round drum for a 1911--just that I've never seen one in person, or even heard a verifiable second-hand account of such a beast.If you get hold of one that works, many people would appreciate knowing the particulars of who made it. Thank you in advance.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Brian D. wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
I'm not going to say that there is no such thing as a functional 40 round drum for a 1911--just that I've never seen one in person, or even heard a verifiable second-hand account of such a beast.If you get hold of one that works, many people would appreciate knowing the particulars of who made it. Thank you in advance.

I held both 20 and 40 round drum mags fora 1911-A1in my sweaty paws yesterday. I've seen them in various catalogs including Sportsmans Guide. However...

http://www.firequest.com/catalog/MG445moreinfo.html

Bear 45/70

imported post

Prophet wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Prophet wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Prophet wrote:
rolleyes.gif

You want to joke on the internet, you need to learn to use the emoticons. It's a real bitch deciphering your tone of voicefrom the printed word.
rolleyes.gif

Who are you...the internet police? Im talking about ZOMBIES...the walking UN-DEAD. If that doesn't clue you into the fact I was joking either you believe zombies exist (in which case i suggest Max Brooks book on how to survive a zombie attack) or you really need to find a sense of humor. :celebrate
You want people to understand you but you appear to be to stupid to do what is necessary to do that. Internet police?, not hardly, but when you get misunderstood because of your poor communication skills and someone tells you how to do it so as not to be misunderstood. Then you attack them again for trying to help you, then you are the idiot who refuses to learn from your stupid mistakes. So please continue thru life being stupid. Far be it from me to make things easier for you.
rolleyes.gif

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Hey... 45/70... Who pee'd in your cornflakes this mornin'? It was a joke. I got it. But... yer wound WAY too TITE. You outt'a coffee or somethin'? Sheesh!

Bear 45/70

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Hey... 45/70... Who pee'd in your cornflakes this mornin'? It was a joke. I got it. But... yer wound WAY too TITE. You outt'a coffee or somethin'? Sheesh!
I don't like morons who can't learn from their mistakes. If one wishespeople to recognize that they are being funny when using the written word,one needs to use the tools made available to show what you mean exactly.If you are to stupid to to use those tools, wellI have no tolerance for that stupidity. If no one corrects them because of being PC then the idiot has an excuse to continue down the miscommunication road. I like to make use they no longer have that excuse, whether it hurts the tender little feelings or not. The dumbing down of our society should be a crime.