• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Memorial Hospital (COS) has illegal policy?

DKB

imported post

The reason the title is a question is because I did not ask what the policy was...although I can guess what the answer would be.

A week ago I had to go to Memo's ER to get my thumb stitched up. On previous visits to the hospital (north campus) I had seen signs that stated "open carry of weapons prohibited" so I concealed as I pulled up. As soon as I walked into the ER entrance I saw the metal detector and immediately returned to my truck to disarm. The security guard (armed, of course) even briefly checked my friend's purse for guns, knives and pepper spray.

When I got home I reviewed the law and CRS 18-12-214 states, in part:

(4) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which:

(a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each entrance to the building;

(b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and

(c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.
Part (a) includes the words "at each entrance to the building" and previously I've been through the main public entrance and an entrance at the loading dock (which is a secured door and I had to be buzzed in). There is no metal detector at the main entrance.

Would I have been within the law had I been concealing (I do have a CHP)? I'm not sure if the general public can access the ER from the main areas of the hospital and I'm assuming also that the "ambulance only" entrance is locked to prevent people from just walking in.

I can see how it's possible some might think Memo is legal if there is only one way for the public to get into the ER (through the ER door and metal detector) but to the best of my knowledge and assumptions there is only one door of the building that is metal detector'd which would violate the statute.

Obviously when in need of urgent medical care I can't be too picky about technicalities of the law but I'm curious what everyone's opinion on this is.

SANDCREEK

imported post

I've been to Memorial Main before, and they post signeage at the main entrance to the effect that only LEO's may carry firearms. It is my understanding that it is a City operated facility, coming under State provisions allowing restriction of weapons.

MemorialMain is the mainemergency point for downtown alcohol related "gun violence", and probably a high risk area for people losing their "cool". Never used their emergency area, but have observed the metal detector at common entrances connecting to other departments. I don't like to patronize Memorial for this reason - I do not like to leave a loaded weapon in vehicle.

Flyer22

imported post

Memorial is owned by the city of Colorado Springs.

CRS 29-11.7-104
A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

If you're not sure if they're fulfilling the signage requirements, you basically have two options. You can carry andrisk becoming a test case, or you can write to the hospital administrator and/or city council for clarification.

DKB

imported post

As far as I can tell, OC is "properly" prohibited because they do have signs up at all entrances....but it seems to me that I should still be able to CC because not all doors have metal detectors. Whether I would've eventually won in court or not, I would've been screwed at the moment, and it wasn't worth it.

At any rate, I'm now done with my "business" with their ER and I don't have any plans on going back.:lol::lol: