• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Relocating to SC, a few questions inside.

warlockmatized

imported post

Looks like i am moving to SC by xmas. I know there is currently no OC in SC. I hope by moving there i can get in on the movement to have OC restored.

My questions pertain more toward concealed carry and reciprocity with Michigan. I currently do not have my concealed permit. I am seriously thinking about getting it.

1. Would it be a waste of time to get in here in Michigan since my plans are pretty rock solid to move?

2. Should i wait til i move to get it, and if so what is my waiting period after moving before i can apply.

Any/all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ron
Michigan Open Carry, Regional Team member

hp-hobo

imported post

Ron,

I am not a lawyer, and I didn't sleep in a Holiday in last night. But here are your answers based on my understanding of South Carolina laws which are linked at the end of this post.

1. SC does in fact recognize Michigan's CWP. Butin my opinion, if it takes any amount of time or money to get one, it's probably time and money wasted, because...

2. You can apply for the SC CWP as soon as you have an SC drivers license or ID card. And that's where it gets sticky. When you get your SC drivers license you have relinquish your MI license which means you're no longer a MI resident. If you're no longer a resident, then your resident CWP will become invalid.

Now someone here may know a way around this, but I doubt it. Because of my proximity to Shaw AFB, I've spoken to several incomingmilitary dependents who have found this to be the situation (active duty have an easier time). You also should know that after taking the mandatory class and sending off your paperwork the CWP takes 90 days to get. SLED will see to that.

That's just my two cents. Below are some useful links. Good luck with your move.

http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t23c031.htm

http://www.scfirearms.org/

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
Looks like i am moving to SC by xmas. I know there is currently no OC in SC. I hope by moving there i can get in on the movement to have OC restored.
'Restored'? I think that the prohibition of open carry dates from the blue laws.

Much of the delay in reciprocity/recognition is due to the entrenched good-ol' boy NRA in SC politics. They interfere in any liberalization of gun rights law in SC. Concealed weapons instructors are almost all NRA members since that is the primary licensing route for a CWP instructor. They aren't gong to break their rice-bowl.

http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t23c031.htm
SECTION 23-31-210. Definitions.
As used in this article:
[ ... ]
(5) "Proof of training" means an original document or certified copy of the document supplied by an applicant that certifies that he is either:
[ ... ]
(b) an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association or another SLED-approved competent national organization that promotes the safe use of handguns;

warlockmatized

imported post

Thanks for the replies. I have one more question. I hope you can help out.

IF i were to take the NRA certified training course "here", can that same certificate of completion be used to apply for a concealed permit in SC?

According to the info in the links provided, especially in "Article 4, Concealed Weapon Permits", it states.
(5) "Proof of training" means an original document or certified copy of the document supplied by an applicant that certifies that he is either:
(a) a person who, within three years before filing an application, has successfully completed a basic or advanced handgun education course offered by a state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency or a nationally recognized organization that promotes gun safety. This education course must be a minimum of eight hours and must include, but is not limited to (wouldn't that include the NRA certified course?)

I have read it over and over. No where can i find where it says that the class MUST be taken "in" S.C..

If i am wrong please by all means, correct me. Thanks again for all the help.

On a side note, maybe the wording in my original post was wrong where it pertains to the restoring of S.C.'s OC rights. It is my hope once i arrive in S.C., to help in any way possible to ensure OC becomes a legal form of carry in S.C.. Coming from Michigan and OC'ing nearly everyday, i believe this will be the "ONLY" thing i will miss from my native state lol.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

The individual instructor must teach from an approved lesson plan that he has submitted as part of his state certification.

I had built my lesson plan when I protested the incorporation of a private body in state statute. In response to the vituperation from the NRA 'members' (a wonderful double entendre) for me threatening their rice-bowls, I ended my quest to be certified.

MY CWP instructor provided the finest eight hours of adult edu-tainment that can be had with one's clothes on! I doff my hat to Mr. Wade D. even after these many years. Look for him at Trader World in N. Charleston.

1swellguy

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
IF i were to take the NRA certified training course "here", can that same certificate of completion be used to apply for a concealed permit in SC?

I have read it over and over. No where can i find where it says that the class MUST be taken "in" S.C..

While our law does not say that the instruction MUST be done within the borders of SC, the instructor MUST be on a SLED approved list. The instructor gets on that list by submitting his instructional materials to SLED for approval. The NRA course you'd take in Michigan probably will not include specific instruction on the gun laws here in SC, which is required.

Trust me, it will probably be faster, cheaper and easier to get your permit here than to get it from a county gun board there in Michigan. If you are planning to move to SC (ie: become a resident here) then you should take the class here instead. Your MI permit will become invalid once you become an SC permanent resident anyway.

And just FYI - you will not be required to "register" your weapons in this state, as is required in Michigan.

Bill

warlockmatized

imported post

1swellguy wrote:
warlockmatized wrote:

While our law does not say that the instruction MUST be done within the borders of SC, the instructor MUST be on a SLED approved list. The instructor gets on that list by submitting his instructional materials to SLED for approval. The NRA course you'd take in Michigan probably will not include specific instruction on the gun laws here in SC, which is required.

Trust me, it will probably be faster, cheaper and easier to get your permit here than to get it from a county gun board there in Michigan. If you are planning to move to SC (ie: become a resident here) then you should take the class here instead. Your MI permit will become invalid once you become an SC permanent resident anyway.

And just FYI - you will not be required to "register" your weapons in this state, as is required in Michigan.

Bill
Thank you SO much. Cleared a lot of things up for me.

M&P.40 wrote:
I know it's none of our business but what part of sc are you moving to?
Landrum/Travelers Rest area

warlockmatized

imported post

Well it has FINALLY happened. I WILL be migrating to SC on Jan 30th. I am very excited at the opportunity to join the fight to have OC restored.

Will post more and help in anyway I can once I get settled in.

jchantelau

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
Well it has FINALLY happened. I WILL be migrating to SC on Jan 30th. I am very excited at the opportunity to join the fight to have OC restored.

Will post more and help in anyway I can once I get settled in.
Hey man, I guess a welcome to SC is in order in a few days. I'm in Greenville not to far from TR.

PT111

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
sclibertytree wrote:
I guarantee you'll like the weather better here.
Yeah, that's why I left SC, the weather, hurricanes and humidity.
I'll take the hurricane every 25 years over the 10' of snow every year. The humidity is only a factor 350 days a year so we can work around that. :p