Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you need a pistol?

Post imported post

Hello all. I've been lurking for a few days. I turned 21 today and picked up my purchase permit app today. Question number 12 is "why do you need a pistol?" I feel like writing "because I want one," doesn't seem like an appropriate answer, and I don't want to come off as a smart ass. What would you guys suggest putting on there?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Read the law and the legal requirements for the permit and paraphrase them back on the form. Often something like 'personal protection' or 'self-defense'.

Post imported post

In pursuance of all local, state, and federal laws.

Post imported post

Very odd, when I click send it gives me error.

State Researcher

Post imported post

For defense of my self, my fellow Americans, and the Constitution of the United States of America?

Post imported post

My purchase permit application had me check the following:

I want a gun for:

Hunting
    Personal Protection
    Target Shooting
    Collection

I just checked all of them.

Post imported post

6' 6''Arabianterrorists.

State Researcher

Post imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
    6' 6''Arabianterrorists.
    Do they make them thatbig? I thought middle eastern races had a much lower average height...

Post imported post

So you think person/home defense is a perfectly acceptable answer?

Post imported post

I read an account once of someone filling out the paperwork to by a suppressor for his AR and for the "why" question he wrote "zombies". They approved the application. He had actually scanned the app and posted it, it was hilarious.

I like the "because I want one" answer, but they might see you as a smart ass. I know in a lot of states the "why" doesn't matter, as long as you pass the background checks you get your gun.

Does the "why" really matter in NC? If so you guys should push your legislators to have that question removed, as it is none of their damn business.

Good luck!

Post imported post

My dad thinks I should just say that it is my right as an American. Once again, I agree with the statement, but I don't want to be a smartass to someone who could simply 'lose' my application.

Post imported post

eclipse13 wrote:
    So you think person/home defense is a perfectly acceptable answer?
    Absolutely, go with that one. Perfectly legitimate answer that won't set off the smart arse alarms.

Post imported post

Thanks guys. I went with Home/Personal Defense. I'm turning it in on Friday. Lets hope they don't take too long for a turn around. This money is burning a hole in my pocket, wanting so badly to be exchanged for a gun.

State Researcher

Post imported post

eclipse13 wrote:
    This money is burning a hole in my pocket, wanting so badly to be exchanged for a gun.
    That's a major fire hazard. You need to neutralize the threat immediately by removing the money and buying a gun. Unfortunately you don't have a purchase permit yet, but I can help. I am trained and authorized to perform such an operation, so lets meet immediately so I can potentially save your life.

Post imported post

Personal Protecting/lawful purposes

Post imported post

Hey Eclipse, good question. I live in NY, so you have no idea how lucky you are! As most members said, i would most definately use "for self/home defense" as your reasoning. As you said, it is your god given right and you shouldnt even have to answer such questions, but...if you put "because i want one," im certain that they will portray you as a smart ass and im sure your license application process will be prolonged!

Either way,best of luck to you and welcome to the world of gun ownership!

Post imported post

I put home/self defense down. I turned it in on the 12th, and my references haven't even been called yet. The sheriff that took it from me said that the app expires 30 days after I turn it in, so she needs to get on it.

State Researcher

Post imported post

eclipse13 wrote:
    I put home/self defense down. I turned it in on the 12th, and my references haven't even been called yet. The sheriff that took it from me said that the app expires 30 days after I turn it in, so she needs to get on it.
    Careful, "home defense" isn't a legal excuse to shoot someone in NC :?.

Post imported post

Personnaly, I would put that;

1. It's my 2nd Amendment Right

2. I am a law abiding citizen in the "Land of the Free"

3. Does there need to be a 3???

Post imported post

eclipse13 wrote:
    Hello all. I've been lurking for a few days. I turned 21 today and picked up my purchase permit app today. Question number 12 is "why do you need a pistol?" I feel like writing "because I want one," doesn't seem like an appropriate answer, and I don't want to come off as a smart ass. What would you guys suggest putting on there?
    If you have to ask people in here for a reason to put down as having one then you need to rethink your reason for having one. To me "Becasue I want one" is perfectly OK and if that is your reason then put it down. Otherwise you are falsifying information on the form.

Post imported post

Well if you were the one answering the forms then I would put that. What I put wasn't dishonest or falsifying anything. There are many reasons that I want a pistol, and I was hoping for some help on choosing the one with the best chance of me getting the app approved.

Post imported post

eclipse13 wrote:
    Well if you were the one answering the forms then I would put that. What I put wasn't dishonest or falsifying anything. There are many reasons that I want a pistol, and I was hoping for some help on choosing the one with the best chance of me getting the app approved.
    If your reason is just because you want one then that is your reason and anything else is false. If there are many reasons then state them. I think for my NH permit I put "For all legal purposes". I ma just pointing out that either you have a reason or not and if you don't have a reason then why are you spending the money. If it is for self-defense then that is fine. I doubt that it really matters to the ones issuing the permit unless you out down "In order to take over the world". I seriously doubt that your actual reason is just because you want one but you do need to examine why you want or need one. I think every home should have at least onegun and someone in the home know how to use it. Right now I have about 15 different guns and the only reason I could come up with getting another one is "Just because I want it". I sure can't justify it. Come up with why you want it, self-defense, investment, required of your work, want to look cool, needed for assination, training, all legal uses etc. Only you can answer that.

Post imported post

Why? : "Fordefense of myself and the state."

(The state being the people or the 'state' proper.... which would include your state and the nation.)

You'll have no problem with that response.

Post imported post

PT111 wrote:
    If your reason is just because you want one then that is your reason and anything else is false.
    Self defense (which is what I put) is one of the many reason I would like it.

I think every home should have at least one gun and someone in the home know how to use it.
    Then why are you arguing with me? I came on here for advice on what an acceptable answer would look like. I have already turned in the application so at this point, whatever you suggest is moot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast