• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you need a pistol?

eclipse13

imported post

Hello all. I've been lurking for a few days. I turned 21 today and picked up my purchase permit app today. Question number 12 is "why do you need a pistol?" I feel like writing "because I want one," doesn't seem like an appropriate answer, and I don't want to come off as a smart ass. What would you guys suggest putting on there?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

For defense of my self, my fellow Americans, and the Constitution of the United States of America? :D

eclipse13

imported post

So you think person/home defense is a perfectly acceptable answer?

ScottyT

imported post

I read an account once of someone filling out the paperwork to by a suppressor for his AR and for the "why" question he wrote "zombies". They approved the application. He had actually scanned the app and posted it, it was hilarious.

I like the "because I want one" answer, but they might see you as a smart ass. I know in a lot of states the "why" doesn't matter, as long as you pass the background checks you get your gun.

Does the "why" really matter in NC? If so you guys should push your legislators to have that question removed, as it is none of their damn business.

Good luck!

eclipse13

imported post

My dad thinks I should just say that it is my right as an American. Once again, I agree with the statement, but I don't want to be a smartass to someone who could simply 'lose' my application.

eclipse13

imported post

Thanks guys. I went with Home/Personal Defense. I'm turning it in on Friday. Lets hope they don't take too long for a turn around. This money is burning a hole in my pocket, wanting so badly to be exchanged for a gun.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

eclipse13 wrote:
This money is burning a hole in my pocket, wanting so badly to be exchanged for a gun.
That's a major fire hazard. You need to neutralize the threat immediately by removing the money and buying a gun. Unfortunately you don't have a purchase permit yet, but I can help. I am trained and authorized to perform such an operation, so lets meet immediately so I can potentially save your life. :D

unarmed in westchester

imported post

Hey Eclipse, good question. I live in NY, so you have no idea how lucky you are! As most members said, i would most definately use "for self/home defense" as your reasoning. As you said, it is your god given right and you shouldnt even have to answer such questions, but...if you put "because i want one," im certain that they will portray you as a smart ass and im sure your license application process will be prolonged!

Either way,best of luck to you and welcome to the world of gun ownership!

eclipse13

imported post

I put home/self defense down. I turned it in on the 12th, and my references haven't even been called yet. The sheriff that took it from me said that the app expires 30 days after I turn it in, so she needs to get on it.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

eclipse13 wrote:
I put home/self defense down. I turned it in on the 12th, and my references haven't even been called yet. The sheriff that took it from me said that the app expires 30 days after I turn it in, so she needs to get on it.
Careful, "home defense" isn't a legal excuse to shoot someone in NC :?.