• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you need a pistol?

PT111

imported post

eclipse13 wrote:
Hello all. I've been lurking for a few days. I turned 21 today and picked up my purchase permit app today. Question number 12 is "why do you need a pistol?" I feel like writing "because I want one," doesn't seem like an appropriate answer, and I don't want to come off as a smart ass. What would you guys suggest putting on there?
If you have to ask people in here for a reason to put down as having one then you need to rethink your reason for having one. To me "Becasue I want one" is perfectly OK and if that is your reason then put it down. Otherwise you are falsifying information on the form.

eclipse13

imported post

Well if you were the one answering the forms then I would put that. What I put wasn't dishonest or falsifying anything. There are many reasons that I want a pistol, and I was hoping for some help on choosing the one with the best chance of me getting the app approved.

PT111

imported post

eclipse13 wrote:
Well if you were the one answering the forms then I would put that. What I put wasn't dishonest or falsifying anything. There are many reasons that I want a pistol, and I was hoping for some help on choosing the one with the best chance of me getting the app approved.
If your reason is just because you want one then that is your reason and anything else is false. If there are many reasons then state them. I think for my NH permit I put "For all legal purposes". I ma just pointing out that either you have a reason or not and if you don't have a reason then why are you spending the money. If it is for self-defense then that is fine. I doubt that it really matters to the ones issuing the permit unless you out down "In order to take over the world". I seriously doubt that your actual reason is just because you want one but you do need to examine why you want or need one. I think every home should have at least onegun and someone in the home know how to use it. Right now I have about 15 different guns and the only reason I could come up with getting another one is "Just because I want it". I sure can't justify it. Come up with why you want it, self-defense, investment, required of your work, want to look cool, needed for assination, training, all legal uses etc. Only you can answer that.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Why? : "Fordefense of myself and the state."

(The state being the people or the 'state' proper.... which would include your state and the nation.)

You'll have no problem with that response.

eclipse13

imported post

PT111 wrote:
If your reason is just because you want one then that is your reason and anything else is false.
Self defense (which is what I put) is one of the many reason I would like it.

I think every home should have at least one gun and someone in the home know how to use it.
Then why are you arguing with me? I came on here for advice on what an acceptable answer would look like. I have already turned in the application so at this point, whatever you suggest is moot.

eclipse13

imported post

A lady called my references yesterday (2 have confirmed, I'm assuming she called the other one as well.) What concerns me is that the application expires the 12th, but since the 12th is a Sunday, it actually expires Friday. That gives them 2 days to call me and for me to pick it up. It shouldn't be a problem for me, but it seems a bit odd that they are taking so long.

eclipse13

imported post

Evidently there is another person in NC with my same name that has a statutory rape charge on his record. Took them a few days to straighten that out. At any rate, I got the permits and ran to Jim's Guns and Pawn. Here is my new friend. G23 .40 caliber 13 round mag. Used, but in amazing conidtition.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg