Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Belts

Post imported post

Does anyone actually use a belt specifically designed for carrying a sidearm? If so, what make? Just wanting to know if it is worth the investment or if I should just stay with my $15 Levi's belt from Meijer.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Depending on what you consider a 'gun belt', yes they are necessities. My gun belts generally cost about a hundred dollars and are cut as wide at the belt loops on the trousers will accept. Width is a requirement.

They are not made from cheap leather if leather but from full thickness and/or reinforced stock. Two have non-leather reinforcements.

A cheap 'gun belt' or a regular work belt will stretch/roll. I carried Mexican X-draw.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Yes I have a carbon fiber designgun belt from Blackhawk, It looks really nice and this is not too think. I use that belt if I am carrying or not. Also it does not set off metal detectors at any airport.

Post imported post

A good gun belt is essential.

There is no better gun belt than a Liger gun belt. In my humble opinion, of course.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...?idCategory=16

Cheap? No. But well worth it.

A review of the Liger gun belt from tire iron:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=148723 (THR)
    http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=176854 (TFL)

Post imported post

My gunbelts are from El Paso Saddlery--I ordered them at the same time as my holsters.

+1 on getting the widest belt you can fit in your pants' belt loops. My first belt I ordered was 1" wide (sounded wide to me) and it didn't do that great a job of stabilising the holser. 1 1/2 or 1 1/4" are better choices.

My belts have an inner liner (facing inwards, the side against the waist of the pants) of suede. Helps keep the belt from slipping.

It's usually a good idea to order the gunbelt at least 2" longer then a regular pants belt, especially if the holster is an IWB type.

Post imported post

http://www.thebeltman.net/

Worth every penny.

Post imported post

Worth every penny.

Post imported post

Worth every penny.

Post imported post

Beltman seems pretty good. I don't have one myself but I've seen them.

I have a ring belt from wilderness tactical. It's 'tacticlol' nylon looking but I didn't want to spend the cash on a leather belt. I wear my shirt untucked so you can't really see it anyhow.

It makes a huge difference. My pistol doesn't sag my pants anymore. I did get the CSM model (with the plastic stiffener insert) but it's still only 1.25" wide.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I use a Galco Matrix gun belt a lot of the time. It looks like a normal leather gun belt, but it is made from a waterproof, stretch proof synthetic material. I think it cost me like $20 or so.

I also use a blackhawk "instructor's" riggers belt. It is a double-thicknylon riggers belt with a rigid insert that prevents it from rolling. The weapon doesn't move at ALL. This one is more expensive, like maybe around $30 or $40?

I have also recently started using a no-buckle (it closes with velcro)nylon belt from G&G. It is a reversible "inner duty belt". One side is a presentable nylon finish, the other is the hook side of velcro. Worn velcro side out, it holds an "outer duty belt" in place if that belt is lined with the loop side of velcro. It cost about $25.

Once I get the correct holster platform, I'll start carrying on a nylon duty belt. This will allow me to completely remove my gear if necessary, instead of walking around with an empty holster.

I have found all of these belts to be stable platforms for carrying. A stable platform is absolutely necessary for comfortable carry, and well worth the money spent.

State Researcher

Post imported post

double-tap

Post imported post

I'm very happy with my Bianchi. It just barely fits the belt loops but it is so rigid it supports even my heavy all-steel guns very well. Got it for under 30 bucks (normal price is close to 50-60 bucks) but I got it during an inventory reduction.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I have a 5.11 tactical casual belt with "permastiff inserts". It's great, holds the gun up nice and sturdy without having to be super tight.

Post imported post

I also have the 5.11 Belt. Love it. Great belt.

Post imported post

I carried with a cheap Walmart belt for a while and then got one from The Beltman, and it made a huge difference. It doesn't stretch or sag, and unless I do something out of the ordinary to damage it I may not need another belt. Well worth the money.

Post imported post

IMO, a gun belt is a must.

I spent a few dollars on mine, wanting to get something I could wear every day, casual and dress. I'm quite satisfied. It's the only belt I wear anymore, even when I'm not carrying.

http://www.tedblockerholsters.com/H.php

Post imported post

I've got a Blackhawk! belt with stiffener and I like it so far. I'd say that a good belt is a great accessory for carrying OC or CC.

Cy

Post imported post

I use the 5.11 Operator nylon web belts. Cost me about 10 bucks and have not second guessed my purchases.

Post imported post

Definitely worth every penny... and to those of you spending $100 on them, I hope they are really, reallynice...

I currently use either a Wilderness Instructor's belt ( I won one in black and one in coyote so I can fashionable... ) or a Blackhawk gator-looking black imitation leather one, that I also wear everyday to work with dress clothes...

I was using a standard heavy duty leather belt and was amazed at how much better a well designed gun belt is at keeping the gun where you want and not sagging...

I bought them from GT Distributers for less than $40 each... GTDist.com I think the first Wilderness I bought was $32 if memory serves... $10 cheaper than anywhere else on line...

They are a great police/ems supplier similar to Galls...

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

jackb wrote:

Worth every penny.
    I second this.Mine is horsehide and bullhide, been using it for about 1 year.I can run, jump up and down, do whatever; it doesn't move! Could probablysupport a cop from my belt if I were inclined.
    United we STAND!

Post imported post

There are two things that are key to a good gun belt.

1. Material

2. Construction

It needs to be made of leather. the better the leather, the longer the belt will last.

It needs to be as wide as your belt loops allow and be of two piece sewn construction. This two piece sewn construction and with gives it the needed stiffness.

You can get work belts that will meet these criteria that will do a fine job. They will probably not last as long as the specialty belts.

I have two belts that I use every day, that are the work belts I described above. I have had one for about 6 years and one for about 4 years. They are stiff and still hold my 1911 snug to my body. I bought them at Wal-Mart for about $10 each.

One of them has started to show a little wear and I may need to replace it in the next year or two.

The choice is yours....BUT you do need a good belt that is sewn and stiff and as wide as your pants can handle.

Tarzan

Post imported post

There's gun belts 'n there's pants belts. Gun belts ain't pants belts. John Wayne notwithstanding... belt loops weren't incorporated into mens pants until 1922. Belts were never used to hold up pants. Belts were used to hang swords, knives'n guns on. Braces (suspenders) were used to hold up pants.

I dunno who made my present belt... made in China tho (ain't everything?) It's 2.5' wide... black nylon with velcro adjustments 'n 'silent' snap "E" buckles. The holster is a Bianchi military type (black) UM-84 with the flap removed and thumb break strap added. Mag pouch is also Bianchi with the stiff mag slots removed (originally for 9mm mags). 'Been in service now for 3 years.

Both holster and mag pouch have spring tension retainers. Nuthin' moves. Mil-Spec seems to make a similar M.O.O.L.E. web gear belt... for about $20.

I don't wear this stuff as some sort'a fashion accessory. If that was the case I'd carry my SAA in Kirkpatrick gunleather.

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    There's gun belts 'n there's pants belts. Gun belts ain't pants belts. John Wayne notwithstanding... belt loops weren't incorporated into mens pants until 1922. Belts were never used to hold up pants. Belts were used to hang swords, knives'n guns on. Braces (suspenders) were used to hold up pants.

I dunno who made my present belt... made in China tho (ain't everything?) It's 2.5' wide... black nylon with velcro adjustments 'n 'silent' snap buckles. The holster is a Bianchi military type (black) UM-84 with the flap removed and thumb break strap added. Mag pouch is also Bianchi with the stiff mag slots removed (originally for 9mm mags). 'Been in service now for 3 years.

Both holster and mag pouch have spring tension retainers. Nuthin' moves. Mil-Spec seems to make a similar M.O.O.L.E. web gear belt... for about $20.

I don't wear this stuff as some sort'a fashion accessory. If that was the case I'd carry my SAA in Kirkpatrick gunleather.

Sounds good to me. (I like leather, but thats just me)

If you have found something that works for you that is great. Functionality over cost every time.

I do have a cotton belt I use to hold the cloth pancake holster I use as a "Smart Carry" type of holster. I wear it every week.

Tarzan

PS The leather belt that I am wearing is my brown belt, that I mentioned in a previous postand I have one just like it in black.

Post imported post

I find that a *very* stiff belt works best. I've been using belts from AKJ Concealco

http://www.concealco.com/miva/merchant.mvc

Belt page: http://66.148.49.244/miva/merchant.m...y_Code=054BELT

Post imported post

As far as the statement that it must be leather... That's just not true... The "Wilderness Instructor's Belt" that I wear most of the time when carrying with an untucked shirt is also the belt recommended and sold at Gunsite. It is nylon, but it is two layers, stiched together, and you can even get a super stiff model with plastic liner sewn in between the belt layers. It has that military look, which is why I generally wear it with a shirt covering it so my belt doesn't draw extra attention, but ... I carry a Smith and WessonSigma SW40V loaded with 15 rounds of .40.... plus a backup mag on the other hip...not a lightweight set up... Add a cellphone and a flashlight (I jsut haven'tt bought a carrier for my light yet, but I do slip it in the belt for short periods of time like walking the dog or watering the lawn at night)

My advice is to buy one of the recommended belts that you like and see how it works for you... even with all the advice in the world from guys like us with drawers full of holsters and belts, you've got to try it to see what you like and what fits your body. If you do a lot of driving or sitting, certain setups may not be as comfortable after a long time... If you have a little extra weight around your midsection, like many of us do, it may be as simple as slightly loosening the belt when you sit... The extra stiffness of a gun belt also means it will not have that little bit of give when your belly needs extra room...

For the cost of a nice belt you can buy a good gun belt. You don't have to buy a $100 custom leather gun belt (though they are nice). You can find real good ones for under $40...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast