• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Belts

dupree187

imported post

Does anyone actually use a belt specifically designed for carrying a sidearm? If so, what make? Just wanting to know if it is worth the investment or if I should just stay with my $15 Levi's belt from Meijer.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Depending on what you consider a 'gun belt', yes they are necessities. My gun belts generally cost about a hundred dollars and are cut as wide at the belt loops on the trousers will accept. Width is a requirement.

They are not made from cheap leather if leather but from full thickness and/or reinforced stock. Two have non-leather reinforcements.

A cheap 'gun belt' or a regular work belt will stretch/roll. I carried Mexican X-draw.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yes I have a carbon fiber designgun belt from Blackhawk, It looks really nice and this is not too think. I use that belt if I am carrying or not. Also it does not set off metal detectors at any airport.:)

Ohio Patriot

CaptainFinn

imported post

My gunbelts are from El Paso Saddlery--I ordered them at the same time as my holsters.

+1 on getting the widest belt you can fit in your pants' belt loops. My first belt I ordered was 1" wide (sounded wide to me) and it didn't do that great a job of stabilising the holser. 1 1/2 or 1 1/4" are better choices.

My belts have an inner liner (facing inwards, the side against the waist of the pants) of suede. Helps keep the belt from slipping.

It's usually a good idea to order the gunbelt at least 2" longer then a regular pants belt, especially if the holster is an IWB type.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Beltman seems pretty good. I don't have one myself but I've seen them.

I have a ring belt from wilderness tactical. It's 'tacticlol' nylon looking but I didn't want to spend the cash on a leather belt. I wear my shirt untucked so you can't really see it anyhow.

It makes a huge difference. My pistol doesn't sag my pants anymore. I did get the CSM model (with the plastic stiffener insert) but it's still only 1.25" wide.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I use a Galco Matrix gun belt a lot of the time. It looks like a normal leather gun belt, but it is made from a waterproof, stretch proof synthetic material. I think it cost me like $20 or so.

I also use a blackhawk "instructor's" riggers belt. It is a double-thicknylon riggers belt with a rigid insert that prevents it from rolling. The weapon doesn't move at ALL. This one is more expensive, like maybe around $30 or $40?

I have also recently started using a no-buckle (it closes with velcro)nylon belt from G&G. It is a reversible "inner duty belt". One side is a presentable nylon finish, the other is the hook side of velcro. Worn velcro side out, it holds an "outer duty belt" in place if that belt is lined with the loop side of velcro. It cost about $25.

Once I get the correct holster platform, I'll start carrying on a nylon duty belt. This will allow me to completely remove my gear if necessary, instead of walking around with an empty holster.

I have found all of these belts to be stable platforms for carrying. A stable platform is absolutely necessary for comfortable carry, and well worth the money spent.

nova

imported post

I'm very happy with my Bianchi. It just barely fits the belt loops but it is so rigid it supports even my heavy all-steel guns very well. Got it for under 30 bucks (normal price is close to 50-60 bucks) but I got it during an inventory reduction.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a 5.11 tactical casual belt with "permastiff inserts". It's great, holds the gun up nice and sturdy without having to be super tight.

FogRider

imported post

I carried with a cheap Walmart belt for a while and then got one from The Beltman, and it made a huge difference. It doesn't stretch or sag, and unless I do something out of the ordinary to damage it I may not need another belt. Well worth the money.

Cyklopz

imported post

I've got a Blackhawk! belt with stiffener and I like it so far. I'd say that a good belt is a great accessory for carrying OC or CC.

Cy

tapper95

imported post

Definitely worth every penny... and to those of you spending $100 on them, I hope they are really, reallynice...

I currently use either a Wilderness Instructor's belt ( I won one in black and one in coyote so I can fashionable... ;) ) or a Blackhawk gator-looking black imitation leather one, that I also wear everyday to work with dress clothes...

I was using a standard heavy duty leather belt and was amazed at how much better a well designed gun belt is at keeping the gun where you want and not sagging...

I bought them from GT Distributers for less than $40 each... GTDist.com I think the first Wilderness I bought was $32 if memory serves... $10 cheaper than anywhere else on line...

They are a great police/ems supplier similar to Galls...