• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Belts

tarzan1888

imported post

There are two things that are key to a good gun belt.

1. Material

2. Construction

It needs to be made of leather. the better the leather, the longer the belt will last.

It needs to be as wide as your belt loops allow and be of two piece sewn construction. This two piece sewn construction and with gives it the needed stiffness.

You can get work belts that will meet these criteria that will do a fine job. They will probably not last as long as the specialty belts.

I have two belts that I use every day, that are the work belts I described above. I have had one for about 6 years and one for about 4 years. They are stiff and still hold my 1911 snug to my body. I bought them at Wal-Mart for about $10 each.

One of them has started to show a little wear and I may need to replace it in the next year or two.

The choice is yours....BUT you do need a good belt that is sewn and stiff and as wide as your pants can handle.

Tarzan

Sonora Rebel

imported post

There's gun belts 'n there's pants belts. Gun belts ain't pants belts. John Wayne notwithstanding... belt loops weren't incorporated into mens pants until 1922. Belts were never used to hold up pants. Belts were used to hang swords, knives'n guns on. Braces (suspenders) were used to hold up pants.

I dunno who made my present belt... made in China tho (ain't everything?) It's 2.5' wide... black nylon with velcro adjustments 'n 'silent' snap "E" buckles. The holster is a Bianchi military type (black) UM-84 with the flap removed and thumb break strap added. Mag pouch is also Bianchi with the stiff mag slots removed (originally for 9mm mags). 'Been in service now for 3 years.

Both holster and mag pouch have spring tension retainers. Nuthin' moves. Mil-Spec seems to make a similar M.O.O.L.E. web gear belt... for about $20.

I don't wear this stuff as some sort'a fashion accessory. If that was the case I'd carry my SAA in Kirkpatrick gunleather.

tarzan1888

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
There's gun belts 'n there's pants belts. Gun belts ain't pants belts. John Wayne notwithstanding... belt loops weren't incorporated into mens pants until 1922. Belts were never used to hold up pants. Belts were used to hang swords, knives'n guns on. Braces (suspenders) were used to hold up pants.

I dunno who made my present belt... made in China tho (ain't everything?) It's 2.5' wide... black nylon with velcro adjustments 'n 'silent' snap buckles. The holster is a Bianchi military type (black) UM-84 with the flap removed and thumb break strap added. Mag pouch is also Bianchi with the stiff mag slots removed (originally for 9mm mags). 'Been in service now for 3 years.

Both holster and mag pouch have spring tension retainers. Nuthin' moves. Mil-Spec seems to make a similar M.O.O.L.E. web gear belt... for about $20.

I don't wear this stuff as some sort'a fashion accessory. If that was the case I'd carry my SAA in Kirkpatrick gunleather.

Sounds good to me. (I like leather, but thats just me)

If you have found something that works for you that is great. Functionality over cost every time.

I do have a cotton belt I use to hold the cloth pancake holster I use as a "Smart Carry" type of holster. I wear it every week.

Tarzan

PS The leather belt that I am wearing is my brown belt, that I mentioned in a previous postand I have one just like it in black.

tapper95

imported post

As far as the statement that it must be leather... That's just not true... The "Wilderness Instructor's Belt" that I wear most of the time when carrying with an untucked shirt is also the belt recommended and sold at Gunsite. It is nylon, but it is two layers, stiched together, and you can even get a super stiff model with plastic liner sewn in between the belt layers. It has that military look, which is why I generally wear it with a shirt covering it so my belt doesn't draw extra attention, but ... I carry a Smith and WessonSigma SW40V loaded with 15 rounds of .40.... plus a backup mag on the other hip...not a lightweight set up... Add a cellphone and a flashlight (I jsut haven'tt bought a carrier for my light yet, but I do slip it in the belt for short periods of time like walking the dog or watering the lawn at night)

My advice is to buy one of the recommended belts that you like and see how it works for you... even with all the advice in the world from guys like us with drawers full of holsters and belts, you've got to try it to see what you like and what fits your body. If you do a lot of driving or sitting, certain setups may not be as comfortable after a long time... If you have a little extra weight around your midsection, like many of us do, it may be as simple as slightly loosening the belt when you sit... The extra stiffness of a gun belt also means it will not have that little bit of give when your belly needs extra room...

For the cost of a nice belt you can buy a good gun belt. You don't have to buy a $100 custom leather gun belt (though they are nice). You can find real good ones for under $40...

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Thankfully.. with a 34" waistlineI don't have that 'gut' problem. It's only 2" bigger than when I retired from the Navy some 26 years ago when I was hard as a rock. (Wasn't a desk job...)

I think most of us have a jumble of belts and holsters from tryin' stuff that didn't work... 'goin' 'fancy' in some cases. I've found the KISS principle to work best. I went back to military grade/typeseveral years ago'cause I understand that LBE stuff. I carry a 'military' type .45acp... 'n it's no lightweight. Leather isn't the greatest stuff to be usin' in the desert... especially if you're 'out in it'.

No NAU

imported post

Another vote for the Maxpedition Liger Gun Belt.

How can you go wrong with stats like this:

"Ligerthane™ possesses over 2,000 lbs of tensile strength with over 300 lbs of hole pull strength."

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

No NAU wrote:

"Ligerthane™ possesses over 2,000 lbs of tensile strength with over 300 lbs of hole pull strength."
I think they went wrong with the ugly buckle :D.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Its a 'gun belt' buckle. Too narrow if anything tho. I wear a gun belt over my 'pants belt'.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Its a 'gun belt' buckle. Too narrow if anything tho. I wear a gun belt over my 'pants belt'.
Yeah um no? The liger belt is a pants belt, and it has an ugly buckle.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I know that... but pants belt buckles... (oy) Dual purpose belts suck... So THERE! Nyahhh!:p

tapper95

imported post

No NAU wrote:

How about 5,000 lbs to 8,000 lbs depending on the model for the Wilderness Instructor Belt?

;)As their saying goes "Overkill never fails"

jbradford1

imported post

Boston Leather has great duty/gun belts for a good price. The largest you can pull through Levis is 1 3/4". KIM some jeans / Polo, Nauticaetc..have smaller loops - 1 1/2".

My belts are very thick..1 3/4" wide ..one w/ buckle and one Velcro buckle less. they also have Velcro lined for special IWB clips like those offered with the MTAC.

The buckled belt has a changeable buckle...put your own buckle on.

I paid 19.00 each.